Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are there many older gamers playing W101?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Aug 24, 2015
Older player:
does being a grandmother count as older these days? How about retired? If yes to either then yes I am an Older Player too.

Survivor
Apr 16, 2014
Just another older player here. Over 30 but under 50. It's a nice challenge compared to just the traditional fighting MMO's. Name in game is Autumn FairyGarden, storm wizard.

Explorer
Jun 20, 2015
Not an older player, but am really happy that there are So many people who are and that's just Awesome!

Alexandria Dreamcatcher,

Survivor
Apr 01, 2013
Older player here. I actually started playing around.. erm... 2-3 years ago? And then i just got tired of the money that i had to put into it to fully enjoy it. We were kind of short on money back then, so it seemed impossible. I came back to the game a few days ago and realized that my account was deactivated and so i had to start anew. Anyhow, i'm able to fully enjoy the game now, and hope to get a better experience this time.

Survivor
Jan 23, 2015
Me too. A few gray hairs and 3 kids at this point. Wizard101 Rocks!

Survivor
Jul 10, 2008
Hey. I'm an older player too. I started as a beta tester when I was younger but I left because, well it used to be far more expensive. Just found my old account last week and have been playing since even though I've grown a bit. I just love the cartoony aspects of the game as well as the card based combat system. Also having a game where pvp is ONLY in the duel arena is the best. Or maybe the best part is that you have to try really hard to say something mean here, not that it hasn't been managed but people don't spam you with horrid things all day. Also I don't know if anyone else has posted a link to Wizened Wizards yet but they are a page for adults who play Wizard101. It's pretty neat!

Survivor
Oct 19, 2011
Yes its normal i once met a fully fledged adult before!!!!

Survivor
Feb 03, 2015
LaadyX on Jun 21, 2009 wrote:
I just started playing this game a few days ago and I must say, I was rather impressed. I just got the feeling that whoever was behind its creation had taken great care when working it.

I'm feeling sort of bad at the moment, though. Since we're not allowed to post ages, let's just say I'm not a little kid anymore. I asked my boyfriend if he thought I was being too kiddish and he said "a little" but that it was no big deal and that he wanted me to have fun and not have to worry about drama. Because before I started playing W101, I played another online game that has been full of drama lately. People are constantly KSing you (kill stealing which is where you purposely run off and attack something someone else is already working on killing which can mean them losing credit for the kill in the end) , even higher levels (we're talking people in their's 80's and 90's, it's nuts), and you're always getting called names and people can just be really rude in-game. Unfortunately, the reporting system is more complicated than it should be and the reports seem to be largely ignored and the rules are almost never enforced unless one involving money is broken. It's stressful and games weren't meant to be stressful, they were meant to be fun and help relieve stress.

I like this environment but I guess I'm just wondering how normal it is to be playing this game as an older individual. Please don't post any ages though as it would seem that is not allowed. :)
I am older for sure. I am not at all impressed with the new stats and soon will stop playing because they have reduced them so much. I don't want to pay for something that I can't use anyway. Just a big money making gimmick. Sorry so glum but it's discouraging to pay for something that is so messed up. I am taking mine and my sons accounts down and withdrawing payment. I hope others will too but if not I hope they can get all they want and love out of it.

Survivor
Dec 09, 2008
raven1847 on Nov 24, 2015 wrote:
I am older for sure. I am not at all impressed with the new stats and soon will stop playing because they have reduced them so much. I don't want to pay for something that I can't use anyway. Just a big money making gimmick. Sorry so glum but it's discouraging to pay for something that is so messed up. I am taking mine and my sons accounts down and withdrawing payment. I hope others will too but if not I hope they can get all they want and love out of it.
You obviously haven't bothered putting any time into the game. To experience the game, you need to play it. All of it!
There is a lot to do and a lot to explore! 13 Worlds to be exact! A current cap level of 110 and tons of side quests to do and badges to earn! Pets to train, Gardens to take care of, Items, mounts, and houses to craft. Fish to collect with the fishing thing. Gear to farm. Many Spells to learn the newest being Shadows. That is not even all of it.

Lets not forget the Amazing story this game has to offer. Paying for the game is inedible however its totally worth it! You can pay yearly for $60 a year per account. Or you can be a crowns player and buy the entire game and keep it forever! Only ever having to buy new areas that are released in later updates. That way you can play with you can pay! Either way! To date, it will cost around around 155,000 crowns or so to buy the entire game. But like I said, you do not have to buy it all at once.

Wolf WaterHaven - Level 110
Isaac - Level 100
Wolf StormHaven - Level 90

Survivor
Feb 08, 2012
I am a Wizened Wizard with a few close friends I play with. Been playing since 2009 and don't have any plans on leaving anytime soon. I have to say though, I'm amazed this thread is still going strong after all these years.

Squire
Jul 18, 2009
Older Wizard here too, I've been playing since July of '09 and I've played Wiz alongside many major events in my life, making it all the more special to me.

Survivor
Dec 02, 2011
I purposely looked for a thread like this because I wondered myself if I was one of only a few more grown up witches and wizards playing. I supposed some would play with their kids - but it's good to know that some of us without children also play.

I used to play on the UK servers (as I come from there) but numbers of players are dwindling fast, so I thought I'd see what the US server was like. I think I may stay.

Survivor
Feb 04, 2012
Im "Old"

I've been playing for a while, and I've met people in there 20s.

Survivor
Feb 27, 2015
Older player here!

I love love love this game!

I came across it on an ad while I was playing WoW and decided to give it a go. I instantly got hooked.
I really like how the game mechanics are somewhat simple yet very entertaining, I always use it to wind down after work.

Survivor
Feb 16, 2010
I am an older adult and i started playin October of 2008! Still Love it!

Survivor
Nov 19, 2010
Another older player here. I play often with my son. We'll be happy to help you with quests if you need extra people.

Survivor
Jul 24, 2015
Much older player here I started playing when my grandkids moved out of state. I joined so I could still feel close to them and it has been great. One of my granddaughters is only 5 and only does free play right now she love getting card packs and stuff from me to decorate her castle. To some it might seem like a waste of money, but to hear the joy in her voice as we skype and play is worth it all day long. We just run around and play house or school and she loves to go and see other castles that people have put up for show. I have also gotten addicted to the game and my main character has made it to level 69 and I have only been on a few months. Its been a great experience, fun and most people are very friendly.

Survivor
Jul 24, 2015
Alexander Nighting... on Jan 4, 2016 wrote:
Im "Old"

I've been playing for a while, and I've met people in there 20s.
If 20 is old I'm near dead lol

Survivor
Jul 19, 2014
I'm not "Old" but I have seen fathers/mothers play with there kids, and possibly people in there 90's. But then again, this is a family MMO and everybody can play it and enjoy the spiral.

Survivor
Nov 24, 2012
I am an older player. The game is a fun escape from day to day stuff. My husband and I both enjoy gaming and I sometimes play the game with my son and a couple of his friends. I have been playing for a couple of years, now - which a sort of record for me, as I get bored easily with games . I generally play with another player - who is also, older, too.

I enjoy the references to movies and characters that are familiar to me and the games(s) have enough diversion to present a really dynamic playing field.

Survivor
Feb 05, 2016
older player here. :) you're not alone!

Survivor
Dec 22, 2009
Funny because I introduced Wizard to the kids...and now I am the one playing it the most. Haha!

One has 'grown'; but we have two younger kids that are growing and has shown some interest in the game. Still trying to learn how game with a keyboard and mouse (they are use to the Wii and Playstation).

Survivor
Dec 31, 2008
Defender
Feb 22, 2016
24 as of yesterday, still loving this game

I had Cheesecake AND Lasagna to celebrate. Despite the inclement weather we didn't suffer power outages or loss of internet connection which is pretty remarkable.

Every time there's a storm there's always an outage and loss of connection, especially when the storms last three or more days. We got lucky.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
I spent an hour last night helping my... wait for it... great-grandson while he quested in Krok. So yes, older people (sometimes much older) play this game. Hey, it keeps me out of the AARP meetings. Strategy games aren't age restrictive and basically, at its heart this is a strategy game.