Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are there many older gamers playing W101?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 17, 2010
I just love it. Thanks Wizard! I have been a member on and off since 2009, my daughter got me interested. I'm an older player and enjoy being on Wizard when i can. Love to help out and have a great friends list and say hi to most of them when they come online. My line is "if you need me, just yell, ok" I don't mind helping with a boss or help doing quests, its all fun :)

Be as young as you feel, Enjoy!!

Survivor
Jul 09, 2010
yeah there are many older people who play this game i am 18 and i've been playing since like sixth grade now i am a senior at high school on going to college

Survivor
Mar 26, 2010
I'm in college and I still play! :)
I also just recently got my boyfriend to play with me and I may be getting him a membership soon if he likes it enough.

Fiona IceDust
Level 77 Thaumaturge

Survivor
Oct 23, 2012
Survivor
May 15, 2017
Count me in!
I used to play the game when I was a bit younger back in 2011-12, on a different account shared with my childhood best friend.

I'm old enough now that I earn my own money and hence I have returned to the game on a new individual account. Not much has changed for the past 5-6 years, and the game is still very costly - however it's still one of my early-teen favourites, and could not help but get back to it and reach the highest level, which I believe was capped at 80 last time I played (don't take my word for it though!)

Survivor
Apr 10, 2012
Much older player here. To be honest, that's why I like this game because it IS virtually drama free. However, I don't have any friends and I don't chat with anyone because I never know if I am chatting with an adult or a small child. Not that I would say anything inappropriate but, to me, it does seem to affect the feel of chat. I had actually made a friend, after much soloing, and she asked me how old I was. I told her I was older than most players. She stopped talking to me and deleted me as a friend. So I guess it would be nice to know who was what going on.

Survivor
Jan 25, 2017
I play with my grandkids. and love the game

Survivor
Sep 06, 2010
I'm an older player as well. I started with my daughter when she was younger, about 10 years ago. I took a break for a few years and just started back up last month with a new toon in the Death School. I've played many other MMO games, but this one holds a special place, not to mention I really love the game mechanics, especially with the battles.

Survivor
Aug 31, 2012
A lot of older teens play.

Survivor
Feb 27, 2011
I'm an older woman with 4 grown kids. I got into the game when it first came out. I love it. It has saved my sanity. Sometimes the kids get to be a little to much but i just unfriend the rude ones and only chat when teamed up with someone in battle.All in all, i just this game.

Survivor
Jun 10, 2017
I am much older as well. I have 2 college aged kids. I played this game a few years ago and recently started up again. There is alot to enjoy with this game.

Explorer
Mar 11, 2009
xxvTANKvxx on Jul 10, 2017 wrote:
Much older player here. To be honest, that's why I like this game because it IS virtually drama free. However, I don't have any friends and I don't chat with anyone because I never know if I am chatting with an adult or a small child. Not that I would say anything inappropriate but, to me, it does seem to affect the feel of chat. I had actually made a friend, after much soloing, and she asked me how old I was. I told her I was older than most players. She stopped talking to me and deleted me as a friend. So I guess it would be nice to know who was what going on.
hello, i am an older player....read your post and I know exactly what you mean.....would like to meet up with an older player for casual play...interested?....my avatar in the message board in Pink Bunny...

Defender
Apr 03, 2016
LaadyX on Jun 21, 2009 wrote:
I just started playing this game a few days ago and I must say, I was rather impressed. I just got the feeling that whoever was behind its creation had taken great care when working it.

I'm feeling sort of bad at the moment, though. Since we're not allowed to post ages, let's just say I'm not a little kid anymore. I asked my boyfriend if he thought I was being too kiddish and he said "a little" but that it was no big deal and that he wanted me to have fun and not have to worry about drama. Because before I started playing W101, I played another online game that has been full of drama lately. People are constantly KSing you (kill stealing which is where you purposely run off and attack something someone else is already working on killing which can mean them losing credit for the kill in the end) , even higher levels (we're talking people in their's 80's and 90's, it's nuts), and you're always getting called names and people can just be really rude in-game. Unfortunately, the reporting system is more complicated than it should be and the reports seem to be largely ignored and the rules are almost never enforced unless one involving money is broken. It's stressful and games weren't meant to be stressful, they were meant to be fun and help relieve stress.

I like this environment but I guess I'm just wondering how normal it is to be playing this game as an older individual. Please don't post any ages though as it would seem that is not allowed. :)
I actually really like the Older Gamers (I'm talking about Adult Gamers) They are always VERY Polite to you and Are always Willing to help you and Show Amazing Generousity. Some Adult Gamers in Wizard101 are Very Generous. And Very Skilled in Strategy As well! There not that Typical Adult Mom Saying "Keep Boys off your Friend List!" or "How you doin' Sweetie? :)" They are an Adult, with a Drip of Child inside of them! Very Generous and Very Sweet! ^_^

Survivor
Feb 05, 2010
Fun to think this thread is 2017 - 2009 = 8 years old. Guess I am in the older gamer group if I have been following the thread that long. lol Maybe its just me but I can't enough playing the knee-jerk-reaction games out there where the kids are just quicker than I am. Wizard101 is just some fun without all the fuss. Story line is nice and you can run with your kids or find new friends to adventure with. Kudos to this game design.

Defender
Jun 14, 2010
I started playing in middle school and have since started college, even better my mother still plays for time to time.

Explorer
Jun 27, 2015
Glad too know I'm not the oldest considering I'm becoming an adult soon. Anyways, us older people I believe make this game still alive & we are probably the reason why it's not dead yet after all these years. I love this polite community of people but I do have too agree, these are a few cruel wizards in the spiral though for the most part, most of the higher lvls are nice people.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
I was around when NASA's Apollo 11 landed on the Moon on July 20,1969. I'll never forget that day when the world stood still and watched the landing. I never heard so much cheering and clapping and the street were filled with celebrations and fireworks in my area. I Started playing Advanced Dungeons & Dragons in 1980 with my brother and their friends. I still play it but not as much since everyone I played with grow up and moved. Then I heard about wizard101 7 years ago. I still play it everyday.

Survivor
May 09, 2009
I'm an adult player and my family plays this game too, we actually game together as a family! I'm not gonna reveal my age but all I'm saying is I'm an adult (my family members are adults too)

Survivor
Aug 18, 2017
I've been playing this game for 8 years! Since I was 11 years old.

Survivor
Aug 29, 2012
LaadyX on Jun 21, 2009 wrote:
I just started playing this game a few days ago and I must say, I was rather impressed. I just got the feeling that whoever was behind its creation had taken great care when working it.

I'm feeling sort of bad at the moment, though. Since we're not allowed to post ages, let's just say I'm not a little kid anymore. I asked my boyfriend if he thought I was being too kiddish and he said "a little" but that it was no big deal and that he wanted me to have fun and not have to worry about drama. Because before I started playing W101, I played another online game that has been full of drama lately. People are constantly KSing you (kill stealing which is where you purposely run off and attack something someone else is already working on killing which can mean them losing credit for the kill in the end) , even higher levels (we're talking people in their's 80's and 90's, it's nuts), and you're always getting called names and people can just be really rude in-game. Unfortunately, the reporting system is more complicated than it should be and the reports seem to be largely ignored and the rules are almost never enforced unless one involving money is broken. It's stressful and games weren't meant to be stressful, they were meant to be fun and help relieve stress.

I like this environment but I guess I'm just wondering how normal it is to be playing this game as an older individual. Please don't post any ages though as it would seem that is not allowed. :)
Grandmother here been playing for five years also play with many wizards of similar age>

Survivor
Oct 25, 2008
I've been playing this game since it started . I am a grandmother and I enjoy this game. I have met a lot of older people on this game. It isn't just for kids. This is what I do for enjoyment when i'm not working. It's very relaxing to play. I've met a lot of wonderful people here.

Survivor
Feb 26, 2011
This is great, I have been playing this game for years and started my own wizard to experience it along with my three kids. There are so many things I love about this game. I find it very relaxing. I love that at the time we started this game my youngest couldn't even read but he could play because of the characters saying everything. My kids would play not only on the computer, but then they would run in the yard and pretend all the moves with sound effects and everything. It has been a great game to grow with.

Survivor
Jul 12, 2016
I am an older gamer and proud, it makes me forget my problems of life,
and all the other wizards are really nice, I have even made some friends, thanks KI.

Geographer
Aug 23, 2016
I don't remember president Kennedy. I was around for the Apollo Moon landings but do not remember those. I do remember Watergate. Yes, I AM old.

That said, when my kids and I started playing in 2009 they were kids. Each one of them is now an adult and we all still play (albeit with an interruption).

Obviously there are quite a few of us that started on the paper and pencil RPGs. My question is this, since this thread was started in 2009, how many of those adults are still around?

For those of us "seasoned" Wizards, Why did you start playing? What keeps you around?

I started to play because I could monitor what my kids were playing. I keep playing for two reasons, one my kids are still online with their own account and we have an instant Questing Party. This game is my own little bit of quiet time. I get to be little Steven Ghoststalker without worrying about bills, medical things, politics, or any of the other er... ah... stuff that "adulting" forces on us.

I play with my model trains and go wizarding for the same reason, It keeps me sane.

Steven Ghoststalker

Survivor
Jan 05, 2012
I have been around for a while now. I am ancient and that's all I am admitting too. lol I found this game due to the advertisement ads popping up and it got me curious. Needless to say that I love this game and can't wait until I can teach my twin grandkids how to play. :-D I am also wondering how many other Ancients are still playing besides me. I wish there were a more recent thread that we could get together and conquer some quests, enemies and worlds together. Anywho, wishing everyone a wizardly good time and hope to meet some of you in my pathway sometime. Take care