Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

About soloing

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 03, 2018
Hi, so im new to this game and i have choosen Storm school to play with. Im currently in Wintertusk doing some side quests and im lvl 55. I have a question, how am i supposed to solo the entire game by my self if i can't even solo wintertusk without help from someone. I saw on youtube people soloing as storm, fire, death, ice, etc. but with life mastery amulet. I mean i'm not willing to spend additional 25$ so i can get some in-game item in order to succsed in game. Plus i don't have a pet either, i have pet from gift card that gives me enchant and that's all. So how's someone who just started the game and has no good pet or don't have pet at all, and have no life mastery amulet and he's storm, how can he solo anything? Here's a one scenario from Wintertusk, there's Storm boss and Fire boss, im second, storm boss has 2-3 power pips and fire minion 2-3 power pips, how am i suposed with not much resist and 2k health to win against these two guys, when they from the begging start spamming high rank spells and in one turn im like at 900 health. So with 900 health i need to find the way to blade a bit, feint, put prism on boss, and attack with some spell in order to win a fight. I understand challenge and all that, but this is kinda frustrating. Plus wintertusk is supposed to be beatable as lvl 40, and im lvl 55 and im struggling.

Thanks for any reply.

Survivor
May 06, 2012
Hi

Wintertusk is an extension of Grizzleheim, an optional world. Both are meant to be challenging for the level you unlock them at. They are also completely optional, leaving you to do both whenever you want (assuming you’re high enough level). I began Wintertusk around level 55, I believe, as a solo balance wizard. I was able to solo the vast majority of it aside from bastions, which was not mad to be dolled. If you can solo all of Wintersuk, that’s great! But an essential part of Wizard101 is making friends that you can work with, or just using the team up button for a hard boss. If you don’t want to do that, I suggest researching your class’s strategy on websitrs like duelist101 and such or simply coming back at a higher level. Because, like I said, winertusk is made to be completed whenever you feel like it.

Survivor
Mar 20, 2013
You have three options.

1. Team up with other players.

2. Grind and grind for gear until you get numb.

3. Buy packs and hope you get gear.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
FairyfromPetPan on Jul 14, 2018 wrote:
Hi, so im new to this game and i have choosen Storm school to play with. Im currently in Wintertusk doing some side quests and im lvl 55. I have a question, how am i supposed to solo the entire game by my self if i can't even solo wintertusk without help from someone. I saw on youtube people soloing as storm, fire, death, ice, etc. but with life mastery amulet. I mean i'm not willing to spend additional 25$ so i can get some in-game item in order to succsed in game. Plus i don't have a pet either, i have pet from gift card that gives me enchant and that's all. So how's someone who just started the game and has no good pet or don't have pet at all, and have no life mastery amulet and he's storm, how can he solo anything? Here's a one scenario from Wintertusk, there's Storm boss and Fire boss, im second, storm boss has 2-3 power pips and fire minion 2-3 power pips, how am i suposed with not much resist and 2k health to win against these two guys, when they from the begging start spamming high rank spells and in one turn im like at 900 health. So with 900 health i need to find the way to blade a bit, feint, put prism on boss, and attack with some spell in order to win a fight. I understand challenge and all that, but this is kinda frustrating. Plus wintertusk is supposed to be beatable as lvl 40, and im lvl 55 and im struggling.

Thanks for any reply.
Wintertusk is not supposed to be beatable at level 40 - it's meant to be done as a team. It's beatable with 4 wizards, all at least level 40, working together! Sure, some people can do it without having a full team or solo if they have great gear and a strong strategy...but as a new wizard you're being harsh on yourself thinking that a level 40 wiz can solo Wintertusk with ease!

I've got a solo storm wiz who is currently running about in Polaris, here are some tips you might find helpful

1. Use the hatch kiosk to get a decent pet to help your wizard
2. You don't need life mastery but at level 60 you can farm Waterworks for one if you want to
3. TC is your friend! I like tower shields, healing current, fairy, satyr, flowering dryad, fortify and monstrous (monstrous is a MUST until you have it as a trained enchant...honestly, it's awesome!)
4. TC feint is cool too because it only gives a 20% back trap, it can be stacked with your trained feint too if needed
5. Dark Pact TC - excellent for getting rid of weaknesses and traps, while giving you a blade
6. 'Farm for First' ~ if you're facing a difficult battle and get second place, flee and come back until you get to go first!
7. Solo wizards still need help on some dungeons...you're not a failure if you need a hand, it's designed for a team of 4...if you're struggling with a nasty battle/dungeon hit team up and get some help!
8. When you get to level 60 farm Waterworks for the gear set...you may even get a lucky drop of life mastery!
9. If your wiz is struggling and it's getting frustrating go and quest somewhere else for a bit to level up then come back to it.
10. Expect soloing to be tricky at times and don't feel bad if you struggle...it's not because you're weak or not good enough, everyone gets battles like that even when they're in a team! You're almost at Waterworks and your stats will shoot up with Waterworks gear and you'll find everything easier!

I hope this helps!

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
The players you are watching on YouTube soloing, likely have all the right gear to do it (mastery amulet, defense, etc). Portions of the game was not designed to be soloed (although it can be with the right gear/strategy).

My advice is to use the Team Up Kiosk to see if there are any other players on your same dungeon/area.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Some very good advice has already been given.

Some things to keep in mind:
Wizards was designed as a 4v4 game from the beginning. KI has always been about promoting the social interaction of the game. It's why the "Make Friends" mechanic is as simple as it is. It has always been the intent that you find some random wizards on the same quest line as you and run together.

Can W101 be soloed? Provisionally, yes. I would wager that those folks you hear of that constantly state "I've soloed my way through (insert world here)" are tactfully forgetting to tell you about the shear number of times that they've had to fight a boss multiple multiple times to beat it. The number of times they've summoned a minion, used and animus or hired a henchman to help them "solo". So don't feel like an under-rated wizard just because a Boss beat you once or twice.

Soloing, although my preferred method of questing as I get to read the dialogue boxes at leisure; stop and pick up reagents without the worry of being left behind; and open whatever chests I come across without fear of holding up the group, can be lonely at times. As I said, I prefer to solo but I do have two main questing groups; my kids who are now teenagers and young adults and a very nice group that has decided to include me as the fourth to their trio. I enjoy the time spent with my kids and I enjoy the social interactions with the other group.

One last thing, anyone who claims to have soloed Malistaire or Darkmoor or any other of the challenging areas is probably soloing it as an over-powered higher than intended level wizard.

Steven Ghoststalker

Explorer
Oct 01, 2011
For me starting out my first wizard was a storm, due to my timezone I had to solo a lot of stuff and the team up kiosk was not a thing so only people actually at the dungeon could team up. The sheer number of times i had to repeat battles over and over again until I got lucky with pips, accuracy, going first and the enemy not shielding was kinda ridiculous. (but it was doable )
Now you will get a lot of advice talking about all the wonderful TC you can get but often you won't have enough gold to buy all of those (to name a few: Pierce, Cleanse Charm, Shatter, Tower shield, Monstrous).
Honestly my personal thoughts are while they are good for speeding up questing and allowing you to solo stuff easier, part of playing your first wizard is figuring out how to set up your deck. One of the easiest things to help yourself is to stop and think about what you are putting in your deck and why. Is that spell useful? can i use it effectively VS this boss/mob?
(These things cost only a bit of time and effort, while also teaching you about the game.)

The next thing connected to that is what is the goal of your school? Storms main goal and design is to hit hard and fast enough to take out the enemy before they can take you down, focusing on one single BANG of damage (wintertusk is notorious for lots of ice enemies who LOVE tower shield so its actually one of the harder worlds for storm)

Now while you can look up deck set ups i would recommend figuring out what works for YOU rather than what works for someone who has raised several max level characters, has access to as much gold as they need, all the gear they could want and whatever pet they feel like.

2 tips i think are valuable for boss fights, 1) Shields are your friend, train your school shield from Sabrina in the Fairegrounds and try and have at least one set shield from a spirit school (those dual 70% shields everyone gets)

2)kills the minion ASAP, they do mosre than you think

Good Luck

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Stealthhawk129 on Jul 17, 2018 wrote:
For me starting out my first wizard was a storm, due to my timezone I had to solo a lot of stuff and the team up kiosk was not a thing so only people actually at the dungeon could team up. The sheer number of times i had to repeat battles over and over again until I got lucky with pips, accuracy, going first and the enemy not shielding was kinda ridiculous. (but it was doable )
Now you will get a lot of advice talking about all the wonderful TC you can get but often you won't have enough gold to buy all of those (to name a few: Pierce, Cleanse Charm, Shatter, Tower shield, Monstrous).
Honestly my personal thoughts are while they are good for speeding up questing and allowing you to solo stuff easier, part of playing your first wizard is figuring out how to set up your deck. One of the easiest things to help yourself is to stop and think about what you are putting in your deck and why. Is that spell useful? can i use it effectively VS this boss/mob?
(These things cost only a bit of time and effort, while also teaching you about the game.)

The next thing connected to that is what is the goal of your school? Storms main goal and design is to hit hard and fast enough to take out the enemy before they can take you down, focusing on one single BANG of damage (wintertusk is notorious for lots of ice enemies who LOVE tower shield so its actually one of the harder worlds for storm)

Now while you can look up deck set ups i would recommend figuring out what works for YOU rather than what works for someone who has raised several max level characters, has access to as much gold as they need, all the gear they could want and whatever pet they feel like.

2 tips i think are valuable for boss fights, 1) Shields are your friend, train your school shield from Sabrina in the Fairegrounds and try and have at least one set shield from a spirit school (those dual 70% shields everyone gets)

2)kills the minion ASAP, they do mosre than you think

Good Luck
Great points!

I mentioned quite a few TC that I use/used regularly. It's easy to forget how much gold that can add up to, especially when getting a stock together to start you off. For a first wizard at level 55 this could push those strategies out of reach.

So...FairyFromPetPan, if you'd like me to get you some of the TC suggested to you so you can try them out and have a little stock to get you started please just say what you'd like, your wizard name and when you're available to meet in game. I'm happy to help you get enough so if you want to keep using them going forwards it's just topping them up here and there when they get low, which you'll have enough gold from questing to do

If you feel uncomfortable asking for specific tc then we can just arrange to meet and I'll bring you a bunch I think you might find useful

Survivor
May 01, 2010
I started off years ago in 2010, and I'm only level 52 despite eight years of play, because I pay by area and crowns were granted sparingly from my parents
As a Theurgist, soloing is marginally harder as life doesn't hit as much, and usually I need a dozen or two rounds to take out a well leveled Dragonspyre boss. I solo because of time zones as well, because I'm in the +8 time zone and would often have to stay up till 1 or 2 am if I want some buddies for a dungeon. So for me, I go by the following general rules when soloing-
1) About Mastery Amulets
Although amulets aren't necessary, if you go for a solo game experience it's definitely going to help lots. I have an Ice Amulet that I use, and things go pretty quickly if I can go Baelfrost/Snowball/Iceblade/Blizzard. It decreases the time consumed waiting for pips as well as damage taken as you kill faster and more efficiently.
However amulets are expensive, (if you get crowns while they're on the 60 for 60,000 sale they cost 10$) so it is perhaps not in everyone's best interest.
2) Utilize traps and blades
After soloing most of DS with base mana, I always find myself super low after only one or two fights. Therefore, it's best if you maximize your attack, using Global spells, blades, traps, etc. for maximized utility. One shotting is somewhat easier for Storm since you have Tempest, you can spend several rounds stacking up then one shot the opponent.
3) Side quests are important
I'm level 52 having just finished Malistaire today, while a friend was only level 46 when he finished. That's because I've done every single side quest leading up to DS (except DS side quests, I usually do them AFTER I finish a whole area.) Grind if you need to, it's not that bad
4) Ask for Help!
People on forums are so nice and willing to help if you ask! You can also go to the commons too. Utilize text chat and communicate with others and you'll get done fairly quickly.

Happy Questing and welcome to the game!

Survivor
May 01, 2010
Area51Alien on Jul 15, 2018 wrote:
Some very good advice has already been given.

Some things to keep in mind:
Wizards was designed as a 4v4 game from the beginning. KI has always been about promoting the social interaction of the game. It's why the "Make Friends" mechanic is as simple as it is. It has always been the intent that you find some random wizards on the same quest line as you and run together.

Can W101 be soloed? Provisionally, yes. I would wager that those folks you hear of that constantly state "I've soloed my way through (insert world here)" are tactfully forgetting to tell you about the shear number of times that they've had to fight a boss multiple multiple times to beat it. The number of times they've summoned a minion, used and animus or hired a henchman to help them "solo". So don't feel like an under-rated wizard just because a Boss beat you once or twice.

Soloing, although my preferred method of questing as I get to read the dialogue boxes at leisure; stop and pick up reagents without the worry of being left behind; and open whatever chests I come across without fear of holding up the group, can be lonely at times. As I said, I prefer to solo but I do have two main questing groups; my kids who are now teenagers and young adults and a very nice group that has decided to include me as the fourth to their trio. I enjoy the time spent with my kids and I enjoy the social interactions with the other group.

One last thing, anyone who claims to have soloed Malistaire or Darkmoor or any other of the challenging areas is probably soloing it as an over-powered higher than intended level wizard.

Steven Ghoststalker
Oh definitely agree with you on the last part. I sped run through Malistaire, but only because I had a near max friend helping me out, and 2 level 70~ fires jump in mid dungeon.
I also prefer to solo in general, for all the same reasons, but it's great to make friends across the spiral as well. And KI has added very helpful things to help struggling wizards, mainly the Team Up function (which I am thankful for!)
In any case it can be a great gaming experience either way you decide to play it, cause after all, everyone has their own pace

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
FairyfromPetPan on Jul 14, 2018 wrote:

Thanks for any reply.
Once you get to level 60, farm Waterworks. It's popular farming spot both for the excellent gear that drops there, and for the mastery amulets that sometimes drop. With enough runs through, you might get a mastery amulet for free. Also, sometimes the mastery amulets go on sale. For example, the Fire and Ice ones tend to be on sale around the 4th of July, and the Life mastery tends to go on sale around St. Patrick's day (March 17th).

As for pets, well, first you need to get some gold and some pet snacks. The best way to get gold (and treasure cards!) is to start gardening. Once you get up to gardening level 8 or so, there are some great plants that will help with gold. Look in the Bazaar for Sour Fickle Pickles (they drop useful treasure cards and mid-level pet snacks that you can sell off for gold). The best plants for both gold and pet snacks are Couch Potatoes. They drop in Grizzleheim from all the Grendle mobs, plus many of the bear and raven bosses.

For mega-pet snacks, look out for Prickly Bear Cactus, Frozen Fly Traps, Baby Carrots, and the Bread Fruit bushes. They all drop a mega snack of some kind at elder harvest, which will help you with pet training. Fish on the Vines are a great combo for Storm wizards, dropping both useful Storm spells and mega pet snacks. Fish on the Vine drop in higher worlds, so hang onto them if you get them!

A great healing pet for a Storm wizard is the Frankenbunny. It comes with three Storm school healing cards (Healing Current), plus a may-cast heal that is called Energizing Battery. With that talent, when you take damage your pet might automatically heal you!

Combining this information, you can gather up some gold and pet snacks, then start hatching your current pet with a Frankebunny at the pet hatching kiosk. In time, you may gain a helpful, healing pet that will help you survive without a mastery amulet.

Good luck!

Alia Misthaven, 124
Sierra Stormcaller, 104