Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Tournaments Cost Crowns? This Won't End Well.

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jun 19, 2009
I never really cared for PvP anyway and don't usually bother much with it.

But if I needed any incentive to be discouraged to bother with Tournaments, the Crown cost is it. ... Sorry, but I can think of better things to waste my monthly Crown allowance on.

I know, I know, if I don't like it, I shouldn't worry about it. Well. Don't worry, I won't. I just thought I'd toss in my two cents on the concept and say that it's a waste of Crowns.

I usually spend my Crowns on things that I can keep forever, like mounts, for example. Or if I do use them for intangible things, Henchmen in an emergency -- and only in I tried to beat a boss first without.

I seriously do not see the idea of Tournaments costing Crowns to be a good idea that will really get off of the ground, except with players and users that are pretty much rich in RL.

Delver
Oct 26, 2010
I see where you're going, but Kingsisle is basically only charging us 500 crowns for crowns items that are very valuable, just to be good at pvp. You can get mounts, pets, trophies, most of these things cost crowns to buy. This is a good deal, and I want to keep it this way.

Survivor
May 25, 2013
You want to know how tournaments can get better? Well look at this article from duelist101:http://www.duelist101.com/news/updates/the-queue-2-further-improving-wizard101-tourneys/

Tyler Deathsong level 10 death

KI, please make the next update to wizard101 your own ideas.

Survivor
Jan 27, 2010
Yea, I have to agree with you because not that many people have crowns because they spend them so fast. But lots of people have subscriptions and they keep renewing them, so why doesn't KI make the tournaments free for people who have subscriptions and memberships and you could make the cost of the tournament prices go down to like 150 crowns a tourney.

Delver
Feb 25, 2013
I agree. Maybe the choice of that many crowns, or a high cost in gold?

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
Blaze stormstone on Jun 19, 2013 wrote:
Yea, I have to agree with you because not that many people have crowns because they spend them so fast. But lots of people have subscriptions and they keep renewing them, so why doesn't KI make the tournaments free for people who have subscriptions and memberships and you could make the cost of the tournament prices go down to like 150 crowns a tourney.
Or perhaps two kinds of tournaments. Just as there is Ranked and Practice PVP, maybe have two types of tournaments. One with no rewards and free to join, and the other with high rewards that cost crowns to join. That way everyone can participate in a tournament and as Tyler Durden would say.... You decide your own level of involvement.

Survivor
Sep 20, 2009
Personally, I think that tourney's shouldn't cost crowns. But, I also know KI will never take the price off of them, so I merely advise that the cost be lower. Currently, the cost of a crown player to enter a ranked pvp match is 50 crowns, so based off of this, the tourney would preferably be 75-100 crowns. On a different note, I was hoping that there would be prizes you could use in the real game when I first heard about this. I was saddened when I saw PvP still only grants substantial bonuses while still in the PvP Arena.

David Titanthief

Survivor
Sep 15, 2012
I say that they shouldn't charge members the crowns fee and charge non-members 100 crowns.

Survivor
Jun 07, 2009
I agree that tornament participation for crowns only is a bad idea. Why bother to pvp at all if you do not have access to an unlimited flow of crowns?

The premise that the prizes are of sufficient crown value is not the full consideration. At some point, parents get sick of hearing the kids asking for a constant stream of cash just to be involved in a game that advertises "free to play".

As an adult player, I didn't care for pvp to begin with because of the cheats and spammers and the nasty attitudes of so many trying to make rank. Crowns only requirement for tournament play doesn't serve as an enticement to even try it.

Survivor
Sep 09, 2010
I think tournaments can cost crowns or cost I high amount of gold to.

Explorer
May 06, 2012
Aurora Griffin on Jun 19, 2013 wrote:
I never really cared for PvP anyway and don't usually bother much with it.

But if I needed any incentive to be discouraged to bother with Tournaments, the Crown cost is it. ... Sorry, but I can think of better things to waste my monthly Crown allowance on.

I know, I know, if I don't like it, I shouldn't worry about it. Well. Don't worry, I won't. I just thought I'd toss in my two cents on the concept and say that it's a waste of Crowns.

I usually spend my Crowns on things that I can keep forever, like mounts, for example. Or if I do use them for intangible things, Henchmen in an emergency -- and only in I tried to beat a boss first without.

I seriously do not see the idea of Tournaments costing Crowns to be a good idea that will really get off of the ground, except with players and users that are pretty much rich in RL.
i know!!! so unfair i bought a membership and i still have to use crowns!

Survivor
Jul 09, 2012
tournaments costing crowns makes perfect sense...who will be winning them? players who have spent crowns 9and not just for admission)

Delver
Oct 30, 2011
They could cost the same in crowns and about 50,000 gold.That seems fair.

Survivor
Jan 27, 2010
zachar47 on Jun 20, 2013 wrote:
I think tournaments can cost crowns or cost I high amount of gold to.
Yes, Gold would also be good because not that many people are going to go waste crowns on a tourney that might not get you anything good.
Blaze StormStone level 90

Explorer
Apr 29, 2009
Blaze stormstone on Jun 20, 2013 wrote:
Yes, Gold would also be good because not that many people are going to go waste crowns on a tourney that might not get you anything good.
Blaze StormStone level 90
You hit the nail on the head. Playing the tournament on test showed me that even winning the tourney flat out without Diego's "help" didn't mean I was getting rewarded for that effort or the crown amount that was dropped on that tournament. And Diego's assessment of a draw fight is awry at times. Gotten a mount coming in second and third place and nothing of note for first. And what's the point of these items anyway? You can "buy" them with Arena Tickets now. And how do I use anything other than the mounts? Other stuff is PvP only equipment, that has no resist at all if may I add. Look at pretty much any fool in ranked PvP and what do you see...Jade Robe...I think they want resist for that "shield, shield, heal, shield, heal, repeat" then "Reshuffle" as needed jazz. Oh, ain't they the baddest cats in the game.

Survivor
Jun 18, 2010
I agree completely, i work off a membership, and it works just fine, i am not going to buy crowns just for a tournament

Explorer
May 23, 2009
I agree, I was rather upset when I found that it cost 500 crowns to enter a tournament that may not end up all that fair.

Squire
Mar 07, 2011
nateironhammer on Jun 20, 2013 wrote:
i know!!! so unfair i bought a membership and i still have to use crowns!
Exactly. You have to pay to play a game that you already pay to play. Say that three times fast.

Survivor
Jul 19, 2009
This is ridiculous. I've had membership and I've supported KI and other stuff related. But this is just messed up having to pay crowns. And then there are people who can't afford that at all and have never had membership or crowns. That's unfair to some

Survivor
Aug 27, 2009
agreed its enough you have to pay for a membership and use your crowns for things in the crown shop. tournaments should be for gold or for free

Survivor
Apr 13, 2013
i am a member and i want to play in tournaments! this i think is by far king isles worst decision ever

Survivor
Feb 06, 2012
Love the idea for tournaments; however hate that my friends and I MUST pay crowns to play. Personally KI needs to setup two type of tournaments: Gold Entry and Crown Entry.

Gold Entry
Everyone buys in for a fixed gold amount (ie 50,000). Prize pool is as follows: 1st Place 60% of the total buy-in, 2nd Place is 25%, and 3rd place is 15%. So everyone with a subscription can enjoy tournaments

Crown Entry
Just the way you have it.

Survivor
Jun 29, 2010
Just another reason not to spend crowns on tournament. I paid for my tournament and while I was waiting between rounds KI kicked me off for being inactive. So there you go easy way to lose crowns.

Survivor
Dec 28, 2011
Mr Talon on Jun 19, 2013 wrote:
Or perhaps two kinds of tournaments. Just as there is Ranked and Practice PVP, maybe have two types of tournaments. One with no rewards and free to join, and the other with high rewards that cost crowns to join. That way everyone can participate in a tournament and as Tyler Durden would say.... You decide your own level of involvement.
That is a great idea like regular pvp.

Mastermind
Jun 02, 2013
Blaze stormstone on Jun 19, 2013 wrote:
I agree, why crowns? KI does need money but there's already over 35,000,000 people playing, most of them members. Why crowns? I don't have any. But I have a membership. $20 for membership, access to so many things, but crowns for tourneys? Come on! So now I'm guessing I need to play a scandal and waste more money? KI needs to make membership people have it free. Thanks for downing my glee on tourneys.