Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The word, "Noob"

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 11, 2008
28
bestwizard221 wrote:
People really think people are using the word 'noob' inappropiatly.I've been a 'noob' for a while.I didn't have a membership, and coulden't go to many places to level up.I've STILL been called a noob by other Grandmasters like me.I don't have much PvP skill and strtagy probably because of others using that word.I got agitated off the biggest chart EVER. I have a worse temper than ANYONE I know (besides my Mom).PLEASE KI,ban Noob and if people filter it,make a auto-report.




Artur Goldenblood=Grandmaster Pyromancer


hey bestwizard221,
if ya have no pvp skills, join the club, the best part of pvp when you have NO skills, is when you win, when ice me wins i think: "aww, its just luck!!! i'm wearing my lucky amulet so its just luck" so when you pvp wear something you own thats LUCKY, i win by talking to my amulet, crazy huh, well it DOES work!!!! XD 8) i'm that hopeless i gotta talk to a amulet, ROFL!?!?!! :)~ lolz, ans the besides your mom thing was pretty funny, i would have fallen on the floor laughing if i didnt have my i-pod touch earphones in my ears!! XP
-olivia griffindust lvl 50 (aka miss off topic, lolz idk lolz)

Defender
Mar 08, 2009
144
ajbrother wrote:
I want noob to be banned too but i say it to people who have called me a noob.There is another word i want to ban from Wizard101.The word is called hobo.When I was in the arena my opponet would not stop calling me hobo.So ban that to.


Oh and my friend said i was weird so ban that too, oh and this guy called me silly so ban that too. SO WHAT if he calls you a hobo, i don't even think that guy knows what a hobo IS!How is being called a homeless guy, an insult? I agree with you on the whole noob thing, cause i always bring out my grandmaster and they are all like "Run away!" I don't think noob should be an auto-report thing maybe you could just make it sayable to open chat. I really think you guys shouldn't make too much of a big deal out of it. Its not really insulting its more of an annoying word, but i guess if the person being called that were a lot younger than most of us it could be offending so i guess something could be done about it.

Joseph Liferider Level 50 Life
Joseph Sandrider Level 31 Balance
Joseph Nightrider Level 27 Death

Defender
Mar 08, 2009
144
jackpot102 wrote:
DokkenShang wrote:
Someone called me a noob once and I felt it was insulting. I asked him why he called me a noob to which he replied that since I was a lower level I must be newer to the game and therefore was a noob. I asked if he had more characters and he replied this was his first. In response I went and pulled out my Storm Grandmaster, found him, and said "Hi it's me the guy you just called a noob". Then I went and retrieved my Balance Grandmaster, found him again and introduced myself as the noob once more. Finally I pulled up my Death Grandmaster, located him a last time, and asked "who is the noob now"? He aplogized thankfully, but before I left I told him that some of us have been playing for a while now and have more then one character. I also asked him nicely to be more mindful of the things he says to others.

So to any of you reading this post who are like this guy please be mindful of what you say. You never know who you will meet in your travels across the Spiral.

Edward StormCloud, Storm Grandmaster
Edward HexGiver, Balance Grandmaster
Edward LifeThief, Death Grandmaster

2 things
1. nice i have death and storm grandmaster and my balance is lvl 38 :D
2. that happened on my balance when he got lvl 28. i fought a lvl 40 balance and when i won fairly he was like (before you read this we both had open chat so ya)
"OMG YOU TREASURE NOOB YOUR NOT HIGH ENOUGH LVL TO GET JUDGEMENT GET OFF THE GAME NOOOOOOOOOOOB"
that was so disruptive i showed him my stormgrandmaster, he challeneged me, and i won, he said those words again.
THEN i went on my death grandmaster and won and he said those words again. but after he lost the forth time to death he said he was sorry and was exagerating. (its spelled wrong)

so i dont think it should be banned from the chat, but banned from non pen chat users
(so like if someone is gonna say noob and word is red and for open chat users its yellow)
Ryan StormHeart LVL50 storm
Ryan DeathHeart LVL50 death
Ryan HexHeart LVL38 balance




Oh and sorry for the double post, but that guy who called you a noob was totally wrong. You can get Judgement at level 28.

Explorer
Jun 04, 2009
51
Couldn’t have said it any better!!! The politically correct society of today’s youth is in for a real reality check when they enter the real world. But in saying that, maybe they will invent a word filter that will exclude all offensive remarks within society. GIVE ME A BREAK, STOP BEING SO SENSATIVE!!!

hiway1999 wrote:
All this whining is a sad testament of today's younger generation.

I suppose the once common advice that I heard when younger is going to fall on deaf ears:

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me"

Perhaps those of you who are enpowering those that use a few pixels in a game to hurt you should re-examine what the reality of that statement means.

You give the people who use words as weapons the power when you complain. Quiet resolve and focus on enjoying the game will easily offset what a four letter word is or is not.

Mastermind
Oct 17, 2008
339
DokkenShang wrote:
Someone called me a noob once and I felt it was insulting. I asked him why he called me a noob to which he replied that since I was a lower level I must be newer to the game and therefore was a noob. I asked if he had more characters and he replied this was his first. In response I went and pulled out my Storm Grandmaster, found him, and said "Hi it's me the guy you just called a noob". Then I went and retrieved my Balance Grandmaster, found him again and introduced myself as the noob once more. Finally I pulled up my Death Grandmaster, located him a last time, and asked "who is the noob now"? He aplogized thankfully, but before I left I told him that some of us have been playing for a while now and have more then one character. I also asked him nicely to be more mindful of the things he says to others.

So to any of you reading this post who are like this guy please be mindful of what you say. You never know who you will meet in your travels across the Spiral.

Edward StormCloud, Storm Grandmaster
Edward HexGiver, Balance Grandmaster
Edward LifeThief, Death Grandmaster


Haha, that is a great story to tell! Not only to I find that absolutely HILARIOUS, but it teaches a fantastic lesson.

You know, if someone gave me that retort, that I "must be new to the game," they would be surprised to find out that I actually have been a player for over a year. Just because someone is a lower level does not make them new to the game. It might just mean that they like to spend their time doing things besides quests, like hanging out and talking to friends or earning gold to decorate your house. I only have one Grandmaster, and you have three - however, I HAVE played the game longer than you, if you look at our join dates (not to be insulting - just using this as an example ;) ).

Though I realize that this word is being used in inappropriate ways, I don't think that banning it is the answer. This might push people into using even worse words, or tricking the filter. In fact, it is because of these type of people that I can no longer put ! or ? by itself, and both my sister and I used that quite frequently (in the RIGHT way, not to separate two words that make a bad one together).

Survivor
Sep 01, 2008
7
To me, i think the people saying "Noob" are just jealous because you are a higher level than they are so they are trying to make you feel bad














Blake Stormmancer Level 48 storm

Defender
May 31, 2009
124
WizardWarrior1193 wrote:
Couldn’t have said it any better!!! The politically correct society of today’s youth is in for a real reality check when they enter the real world. But in saying that, maybe they will invent a word filter that will exclude all offensive remarks within society. GIVE ME A BREAK, STOP BEING SO SENSATIVE!!!

hiway1999 wrote:
All this whining is a sad testament of today's younger generation.

I suppose the once common advice that I heard when younger is going to fall on deaf ears:

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me"

Perhaps those of you who are enpowering those that use a few pixels in a game to hurt you should re-examine what the reality of that statement means.

You give the people who use words as weapons the power when you complain. Quiet resolve and focus on enjoying the game will easily offset what a four letter word is or is not.


Sorry, guys, I'm going to have to disagree with you on this.

I was going to pass on this topic because I could care less about what some immature kids say to make themselves feel like they're hotshots. As Hiway1999 said, sticks and stones.

However, my opinion changed last night after a 1v1 battle last night. Somewhat long story short, I entered the arena with my seamstress altered gear that makes my Warlord gear look like I'm a real novice. Well, as Novice as a Warlord can look, that is. Sure enough, my opponent started in with calling me a noob. Since I was going second, I didn't attack right away as I focus on defense, and the talk and noob name calling escalated. Until I attacked, and after a few rounds the chatter died down and then finally stopped when he lost.

As I said, the sticks and stones philosophy is something I firmly believe in so all his mouthing off was more comical than anything. But I'm not a kid. What my opponent was trying to do was to intimidate, and to the many kids who do play this game this can be very unnerving.

Don't get me wrong, I firmly believe that youth today are molly coddled more than ever and this is most certainly detrimental as they try to transition into the "real" world. But a game like this is not the place to teach hard life lessons - it's a place for KIDS to come and enjoy a fantasy game. This isn't a case of being politically correct - it's about creating an environment for kids of ALL ages. In my opinion, intimidation, bullying, and, most of all, POOR sportsmanship have no place in a kids game.

So, even though I've been known to throw the noob word around in sentences like "wow, sorry to waste your feint with my wand spell - I'm such a noob!", I'd gladly sacrifice the privilege of using this word if it means a few bullies will have a harder time to menace, intimidate, and / or insult.

Block the word, I say!

mlb

Defender
Jul 18, 2009
160
mlb with all due respect I seriously doubt you remember what kids are like or been around them much lately.

I have kids and see their behavior. Nothing has changed in the use of words to intimidate department. Trying to insulate them from the practice probably does more harm than good. Let them grow up and see it does nothing, without some artificial barrier in the way.

Survivor
Dec 30, 2008
3
your all just over reacting i mean some people truly are noobs like ones that call you noob when your grandmaster i'm the bigger person and dont mind

Defender
May 31, 2009
124
hiway1999 wrote:
mlb with all due respect I seriously doubt you remember what kids are like or been around them much lately.

I have kids and see their behavior. Nothing has changed in the use of words to intimidate department. Trying to insulate them from the practice probably does more harm than good. Let them grow up and see it does nothing, without some artificial barrier in the way.


Hiway1999,

With similar respect, I must say that I, too, have kids, and yes, I see what kids are like now. And I loathe all the taunting, hot dogging, and horrible sportsmanship that I see in kids sports. And with the veil of anonymity that the internet provides, such things are only getting worse.

Look, I realize that the word NOOB is no big deal, but as it really has no "nice" connotation, why have it at all? Why NOT get rid of it. I'm not sure what the average age of players here is, but I think there are plenty of kids young enough that don't need learn that name calling is OK. Yes, it's gonna happen in real life, but why even bring it into this game?

As to artificial barriers, do you / did you take your 10 year old to R rated movies? Do you let them swear at home? Perhaps give them a fire arm to deal with real life toughness? Of course not. And while these examples are in the extreme, they illustrate that artificial barriers exist everywhere, especially for kids.

At the end of the day, if we can agree that noob is used primarily as an insult, shouldn't it be like the other "insulting" words that are blocked?

Blocked or not, I'll continue to let my kids play, but in my ideal fantasy game intimidation and insults aren't apart of it.

mlb

Defender
Jul 18, 2009
160
I humbly disagree. I think today's kids are a bit nicer in real face to face situations. My son isn't even vindictive online or mean spirited (I've used a security logger to see what he types).

It's how you raise them.

I would go so far to say kid's seem much nicer compared to when I was a child. With games and sports there is always the intimidation regardless of the words used etc. Part of growing up sometimes is realizing that the use of the words really does nothing and hopefully the parent is there to gently remind them of the same.

It's all about moderation and not going to extremes to protect our kids. I just think banning such a obscure word is on the extreme side of things. Plus I enjoy beating the pants off some kids who are all talk :)

Educating the masses one match at a time.

Survivor
May 09, 2009
4
I to hate it when the people in arena calme noobs :( no one even knows the meaning of noob anymore. noob only means that your new. big deal. we were all new at one time. so people who call other people noobs are just jerks :P

Survivor
May 09, 2009
4
Plus I enjoy beating the pants off some kids who are all talk :)

Dontcha think thats going a little too far?

Survivor
May 25, 2009
11
Survivor
Jun 30, 2009
20
To all of those who are called "noobs",
I have one character who has text chat and one who does not. I am often called a noob. It should be blocked of of the text chat. I hope one of the moderators will see our posts and do so. Have they already? As I would not call another wizard a noob I have not tried. And I don't plan on it!

To all who call others noobs,

Stop! You are hurting other wizards! How would you like to be called a noob? You were once a level 1, too! You once had 400 health and 10 mana, and you once had trouble on a rank 1 boss like rattlebones!

Thanks!

Samantha Dawnstaff
Level 23 Adept Theurgist

Defender
Sep 28, 2008
104
Noobs? or is it Newbs they mean? Who then is the real "noob"?


The word NOOB is listed as follows,

Defining 'Noob'
Contrary to the belief of many, a noob/n00b and a newbie/newb are not the same thing. Newbs are those who are new to some task* and are very beginner at it, possibly a little overconfident about it, but they are willing to learn and fix their errors to move out of that stage. n00bs, on the other hand, know little and have no will to learn any more. They expect people to do the work for them and then expect to get praised about it, and make up a unique species of their own.

Noobs are often referred to as n00bs as a sign of disrespect toward them, and it's often funny, but I will refer to them as noobs during this reading.

* Usually the topic at hand on an internet forum.

COMMON NOOB CHARACTERISTICS

I. Noobish
Often, but not always, noobs will attempt to communicate in their own primitive language, known as "n00bish." It is a variant of the hacker language that exposes them as having little intelligence or will to learn. Here is an example of some noobish. Do not attempt to comprehend it: it cannot be discerned without professionals at hand.

Although you may find this unbelievably funny and/or annoying, it is best to restrain yourself and keep from talking back to them, as they are very territorial and easily angered. This will result in their attempted verbal abuse of you, possibly backed up by other noobs, because they work in packs when doing offensive tasks. It is not an easy task to learn this language because our intelligent accent will keep it from sounding quite right when spoken. You can write some simple noobish of your own, however, by slamming your face into your keyboard repeatedly.


On the internet, n00bs make their colonies on forums and now RPG's. They migrate in waves, usually on weekends, and proceed to clog up bandwidth with stupid questions and sometimes even stupid answers. If you happen to be unfortunate enough to be on a board or game large enough to attract migrating noobs, there will hopefully be authority in charge who is smart enough to take extermination measures before they can make nests and larger colonies. KI? Where are yours?

Larger colonies can result in the mutation of some into spammers. Not commercial spammers, but pointless spammers. A noob can become one of these at any point, but the larger the amount of noobs, the more chance pointless spammers will appear.

Off the internet, noobs appear anywhere the focus is on learning or discussing something specific.

Defender
May 18, 2009
122
Rihanna12 wrote:
I'm sure you walk around hearing people saying the word, noob, I hate that word. Did you know: That some people think noobs are dumb people. It's a common misunderstanding. I don't think people should make fun of people at most level 12, because they were one at one point, even I was one (so cute when I was just a little apprentice theurgist), so I think the text chat should block the word, noob, because it's not correctly used, and I don't like it all!

Caroline Sunbright
Grandmaster theugist level 50


I was called a noob before so i asked to pvp the person who called me a noob. he said yes so i quit and went on my master thaumaturge and i beat him at pvp. It was sort of funny because i actually beat him.

Survivor
Aug 09, 2009
7
Survivor
Aug 02, 2009
36
MasterCowboy wrote:
Noobs? or is it Newbs they mean? Who then is the real "noob"?


The word NOOB is listed as follows,

Defining 'Noob'
Contrary to the belief of many, a noob/n00b and a newbie/newb are not the same thing. Newbs are those who are new to some task* and are very beginner at it, possibly a little overconfident about it, but they are willing to learn and fix their errors to move out of that stage. n00bs, on the other hand, know little and have no will to learn any more. They expect people to do the work for them and then expect to get praised about it, and make up a unique species of their own.

Noobs are often referred to as n00bs as a sign of disrespect toward them, and it's often funny, but I will refer to them as noobs during this reading.

* Usually the topic at hand on an internet forum.

COMMON NOOB CHARACTERISTICS

I. Noobish
Often, but not always, noobs will attempt to communicate in their own primitive language, known as "n00bish." It is a variant of the hacker language that exposes them as having little intelligence or will to learn. Here is an example of some noobish. Do not attempt to comprehend it: it cannot be discerned without professionals at hand.

Although you may find this unbelievably funny and/or annoying, it is best to restrain yourself and keep from talking back to them, as they are very territorial and easily angered. This will result in their attempted verbal abuse of you, possibly backed up by other noobs, because they work in packs when doing offensive tasks. It is not an easy task to learn this language because our intelligent accent will keep it from sounding quite right when spoken. You can write some simple noobish of your own, however, by slamming your face into your keyboard repeatedly.


On the internet, n00bs make their colonies on forums and now RPG's. They migrate in waves, usually on weekends, and proceed to clog up bandwidth with stupid questions and sometimes even stupid answers. If you happen to be unfortunate enough to be on a board or game large enough to attract migrating noobs, there will hopefully be authority in charge who is smart enough to take extermination measures before they can make nests and larger colonies. KI? Where are yours?

Larger colonies can result in the mutation of some into spammers. Not commercial spammers, but pointless spammers. A noob can become one of these at any point, but the larger the amount of noobs, the more chance pointless spammers will appear.

Off the internet, noobs appear anywhere the focus is on learning or discussing something specific.



...........

wow....
its like you mixed science with internet with pure awesomeness
I didn't know this actually happened....

Its weird, I read somewhere that a noob is obnoxious (I spelled it wrong )

I also thing that the main reasons I can think of that people would call you a noob is:

a.) They're just jealous
b.) They're mad and looking for someone to take their anger out on
c.) They just want attention.

The main main reason is c.)
If you want attention than you'd better thing of a different tactic instead of hurting someone. And by telling them what the person that made fun of another person is wrong and by making fun of them or something like that your just feeding them.
As for Grandmasters that call other's noobs, you need to realize a.) you were at the stage that you were level 4 or 2 or 3 at some point in time and b.) you don't what it means

Peace,
Kaitlyn IceRiver Lvl 23
and
Lucas LifeGiver Lvl 15
(I made a boy for the fun of it )

Survivor
Aug 28, 2009
36
exactly the same thing happened to me in mb, so we are in a battle with the 3 of us between lvls 25-30. so this lvl 37 girl comes up and starts saying how she remembers when she "sucked as much as us" and how "weak you noobs are". So i got got on my death grand and said to knock it off because now she was the noob, she apologized but still most lower lvl wizards are actually grandmaster's second/third/fourth/fifth wizards so really lvl doesnt make you a noob, your experience does. And no i dont mean the experience bar kind of experience i'm talking about knowlege of the game kind of experience. noob should be banned!

Geographer
Feb 14, 2009
835
Penguin4ever wrote:
I think the the word 'noob' should be banned also!

Most people call people noobs in the arena when they are loosing. They usually think that the "person winning is cheating!" or "Your using treasure cards!" The word 'noob' is commonly used as a taunt, trying to get the opponent angry and less concentrated on what he/she is doing. (Trust me, It's happened before to me) Personally, I think that the person calling the other person 'noob' is actually a 'noob'. For thinking that anyone that they are a higher level than is a noob. I'm a level 49 thaumaturge, does that mean I am a noob to a grandmaster?

first off treasure cards in arena isnt cheating, anything that is has been prevented, like freezing.
SECOND! ALL YOU PEOPLE THAT ARE CALLED "Noob/s" are being called it by being that down know the meaning of the word, let me tell you the definition.

Noob- annoying new person
Newb- new person

So next time someone calls you a noob you can say the real meaning and then be the better person and ignore them, or say you putting them on it, then if they call you something worst, just report them

Survivor
Jan 02, 2010
1
I disagree on this matter for two reasons....

Half The kids who play this don't know what or who a noob is...

me at 16 i know what it is but were old enough to not care what kids on here say....there is enough chat blocked as it is let them say a non hurt full word is it that mean????I mean really Like your not gonna go to your Mom and say this kid called me a noob....my nephew is 7 and he plays and he got called a noob he asked me what it is i said idk simple as that....just this is a dumb reason to block the word.....



John IceCaster-lvl16-

Survivor
Jun 24, 2009
16
Survivor
Apr 27, 2009
9
Whilst I agree that being called a noob is not nice my 2 pennies worth are :-

On the most part you are never likely to meet these people outside of your computer screen so why care what they think of you as long as you know and love yourself then it should be no problem if however it is a problem for you just smile to yourself and say "yes" and "thank you" bound to get the desired response

I have been called a noob so many times I have lost count do I care/ does it bother me? no I just smile and say thank you whilst thinking if only you knew about my grandmasters

So as to banning the word I rely dont think it will solve anything they will just find a way to get around the filter, we just have to learn to laugh at them and think the sadder person is the one being mean.

Survivor
Jan 03, 2010
2
Perhaps the word noob should be banned, perhaps not. But as one who is pretty new to the game that term could be applied to me. Frankly, I don't care. And neither should anyone else. What I want to know is why I can't use numbers.

I tried to type 'I only need 3 more.' and this is what happened...

"I only need ... more."
"Huh?" :?
"I only need ... more."
"DANG IT!!"

Now that I think about it, perhaps DANG IT should be banned. Or is it already?

I mean, come on! Gobblers fart on you. What is more offensive than that? :(