Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

I'm starting to rethink being in storm...

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 14, 2010
I've always read posts about how people think their school is the best and I've never heard a wizard mention Storm. I'm just starting out, (lvl 22) and I think I might have chosen a bad school. I rarely win in pvp and have low health for a wizard my age, idk why because I'm always on the lookout for equipment with tons of health. Is it my strategy? Do I need to use more shields or attacks? HELP! I recently had people tell me I was the weakest opponent in pvp and that's what drove me to leap for help. Do you think I should switch schools? Anyone have good strategies? Any advice?! Plz post if you can help... much obliged.

- Rachel Shadowglade(lvl 22)
School of Storm

Historian
May 15, 2009
for starters you are insanely low in level
you continue to lose because you do not have experience
storm students have between 1.5-2.1k health ( thats 1500 and 2100 health)
we storm have high power as compensation for low health
you need to get to as far as marleybone before pvping k? by this time you should have decent health and have a moderate power pip %
i would do ALL quests that you can
because you want to be 30+ in pvp

Geographer
Jun 09, 2009
kinzalexis06 wrote:
I've always read posts about how people think their school is the best and I've never heard a wizard mention Storm. I'm just starting out, (lvl 22) and I think I might have chosen a bad school. I rarely win in pvp and have low health for a wizard my age, idk why because I'm always on the lookout for equipment with tons of health. Is it my strategy? Do I need to use more shields or attacks? HELP! I recently had people tell me I was the weakest opponent in pvp and that's what drove me to leap for help. Do you think I should switch schools? Anyone have good strategies? Any advice?! Plz post if you can help... much obliged.

School of Storm

Storm is a powerful school, but getting health equips is something I would not recommend, since storm equips give off more stats compared to other schools clothing of same level, and low level storm wizards are easy to beat, until they get there best high level spells, tempest, wild bolt (people hate you for using it though, but you can use it), storm lord, and your Triton.

Hero
May 19, 2009
my least fav, my grand storm was the first on the list to go when i had to make room for a new fire wizard.

Explorer
Mar 19, 2009
Well, storm is a tricky school in general. The attacks often fizzle, your health is low too. But as a plus, you are very powerful. Your spells are the most powerful out of all schools. The best way, if you want to be a diverner, is use it as a secondary school. The best combination is and ice wizard (Having the most heath) with a secondary of storm.

Defender
Jun 11, 2009
dude, storm is like the strongest school in town( not best, but strongest).

we diviners can deal massive damadge within a few turns. sure, we have low accuracy and health, but by the time you are 45 and you got some good equipment, no one will care. i come in to pvp matches with my diviner and watch ppl quiver in fear at " the all powerful storm" as my opponent once said. they may mock you now, but dont be discouraged. like myth, storm starts slow. once you get in high levels, every one will be asking you for help. youll also have no trouble soloing, with moves like tempest and storm lord, youll be destroying pretty soon. diviners are fun dude. dont bail out on it now.

Explorer
Dec 29, 2008
I have grand and warlords for each schools (Ice on a second account) and I can say storm is my favorite. Storm is the biggest hitter period and if you team up with a life wiz, hard to beat. Before the latest update, almost all carries bolts (storm spell) for a chance of a big hit for a less pips. Now that trading of enchanted spells are not allowed, now bolts belongs to storm only. Gotta love storm. However, make life school as secondary up to Satyr, and Ice up to tower shields, train stun shield as well as infection. If you have spare, train reshuffle. Good luck!

Explorer
Dec 19, 2008
Now, most people think that being in storm means you need to get power ups for health. Well, you don't! What you want is Power pips, boosts in attack, and accuracy. As long as you have that, health doesn't mater. If I can (currently) kill two mb monsters in on my first turn, does health really matter?

The school I had the MOST fun is was storm. At the beginning, I was upset about dying so much in firecat alley, but I found in krokotopia that I was going through the quests much fast than I would in Ice. When people talk about the best school, I think they always forget that this is a game, games are meant for fun, and fun is storm.

You need some patience with storm. You got to get use to only having 70% accuracy and have an instinct of when it might fizzle so you can heal. Sure, it takes a while, but I kind of have a sixth sense now. xD

Master of Ice and Storm
Rachel Rainhaven
Jennifer Angleweaver

Survivor
Dec 28, 2008
As a Storm wizard for well over a year, I've gotten to enjoy the 'finer' aspects of the Storm School. As for PvP, I never even went to the Arena before level 40. I sit now at level 48 with 1988 health.

Fizzle too much? Try adding accuracy to your cards. You can buy Keen Eyes in bulk and it's amazing what an extra 10% does to accuracy.

Die too fast? Try adding more shields into your deck. I notice I am targeted almost always first because it's common sense that I am capable of doing the most damage.

As for equipment, health is a no-no. The boost it gives you are mediocre at best. When in terms of PvP, I always choose gear that gives Power Pip over health. My strategy is often kill them before they can kill me

As for your low health, well welcome to Storm. We have the lowest health of all schools in return for the highest damaging spells. Like i said, I'm 48 with 1988 health and I'd be hardpressed to get anymore. Other wizards my level are way over 2,000.

I call the Storm the All or Nothing school. I can't tell you how many times in both PvE and PvP i've been less than 100 health from death and came away with a win. You either take out your opponent, or die trying. I knew what this school entitled the day I got it from the book. If it's not your playing style go with a different school.

Also wanna add, PvP Really picks up when you hit level 28. You get Tempest then and it just becomes so destructive it's almost unfair. If you make it to 38 you'll get Triton which is the strongest spell in the game bar Wild Bolt. And at 48 you get the well-known Storm Lord which is basically a Stormzilla to everything plus a stun.

Defender
Dec 28, 2009
kinzalexis06 wrote:

School of Storm

With Storm, you need to play the Rhinoceros. Cut your opponent health with the two or three pip spells, try to keep them from attacking and make them heal. However, that won't be enough. Simply rampaging around and throwing random spells at him will not work if he is a well organized player who shields and won't be scared. An excellent card to use, if you had one, would be the Mutate Storm Elf treasure card. This will get rid of storm and/or Tower Shields, and isn't that bad on damage. Make a spell combo, by spamming some sort of shield until you have a certain number of pips, and then strike! A Storm Shark followed by a Kraken and then some Lightning Bats will hurt your opponent. However, in certain situations, you will be a hunted Deer. In that case, Tank. Spam any shields you have, keep lots of healing cards in your hand, ready and good to go, and don't panic. A good investment would be Tower Shield, which will also get you the Fire/Storm shield, that will protect you from the second highest damager. If you intend to play 2v2, team up with a Life person, who will heal you while you do the damage. Well, Good Luck!
~Christopher Titanbringer, Level 35 Balance Wizard

Explorer
Jun 04, 2010
Penguin4ever wrote:
Now, most people think that being in storm means you need to get power ups for health. Well, you don't! What you want is Power pips, boosts in attack, and accuracy. As long as you have that, health doesn't mater. If I can (currently) kill two mb monsters in on my first turn, does health really matter?

The school I had the MOST fun is was storm. At the beginning, I was upset about dying so much in firecat alley, but I found in krokotopia that I was going through the quests much fast than I would in Ice. When people talk about the best school, I think they always forget that this is a game, games are meant for fun, and fun is storm.

You need some patience with storm. You got to get use to only having 70% accuracy and have an instinct of when it might fizzle so you can heal. Sure, it takes a while, but I kind of have a sixth sense now. xD

Master of Ice and Storm
Rachel Rainhaven
Jennifer Angleweaver

"I was upset about dying so much in firecat alley" oh mi gosh, i remember those days, i barely made it past rattlebones with my health! it got easy as blooming late is the only downside, you will get so strong by level 28 that you will start breezing by mooshu

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
storm used to be strong in pvp until they came out with dispels and everyone in the world obtained more and more blades... storm is supposed to have low health and high damage, but when more and more blades and traps come into the game everyone can do huge damage... toss in even stronger judgement cards for balance school and you have a mess

don't go storm if you plan on playing PvP, one pip dispels coupled with beguiles will make it impossible for you to ever get an attack off

Survivor
Apr 05, 2010
I have to disagree that storm is weak in the arena and that players should avoid it. I'll admit that diviners have some distinct disadvantages in PvP, but they also have some powerful spells. As long as you have pips you have a chance to win. Not many wizards can stand up to a Bolt/Lord/Triton combo :-) I'll admit playing storm well takes a lot of practice and patience. You need to know when to be aggressive and when to stay back. I use my sideboard in the arena quite a bit more than with my other characters to draw what I need when I need it.

With a well thought out deck design, diviners have some very powerful tools in both Cleanse Charm and Disarm. These are probably the most overlooked and under utilized cards in the game. Infection circling above, not anymore with a cleanse. Weakness too. Playing a sorcerer and can't get a tower shield? Disarm can clear out one of the crucial blades. Dispells? If you trained life to Satyr (almost necessary for diviners in the arena) than you have access to Legend Shield. A zero pip life spell that can get rid of that pesky entangle and let you heal.

The forums at Wizard 101 central have some very good guides. Just experiment with some ideas and find a style that works for you. Any experienced player knows that another good wizard is a threat. Don't disrespect your opponent becasue of thier school.

Delver
Sep 18, 2009
As other people have said kill them before they kill you. Blade trap kill. If it doesn't work repeat.

Explorer
Jun 03, 2009
First, you should train at the fire school for tough spells like meteor strike and helephant.Second, you should be at least lvl 48 for storm lord.Third,use treasure cards that you can use to heal that way you beat your opponent without worrying about losing.Use this strategy and you'll barely ever lose.Michael Sprite Shard lvl 50 Grandmaster and Savior Of The Spiral.

Survivor
Apr 05, 2010
I don't know why a diviner would want to use 8 or 9 training points on fire to get helephant & meteor strike. Triton hits harder, and tempest is more versatile. Each is more effective for a diviner to use with power pips. I agree carrying at least a couple of satyrs in in your sideboard is a good strategy. You will also want a couple in you regular deck. It is almost necessary for diviners to use train ice to tower shield and life to satyr. Other routes will leave you open to quick defeats. With our low life, we walk a tightrope in the arena. Use your other training points for Infection, and reshuffle. There is a debate to spend three points on balance for weakness or on fire to reach fire elf. Training fire elf is so that you can buy mutate treasure cards to make lightning elfs. Your last point could be spent on elemental blade. This is helpful in the storyline, but nearly useless in the arena. It's up to you, but I never use blades when PvPing solo.

Survivor
May 31, 2010
I love being storm. I tried to start a balance after I made my storm a grandmaster, but I just didn't like the low power of it. Though the low accuracy does get to be a pain at first, but by the time your a grandmaster of storm, with all of your grandmaster gear, you spells will be as accurate as death(85%). So combine that great accuracy with the awesome power storm has, things go by quickly.Health is not even a factor in battles at this point, except in PVP.

Tip for pvp: Try not to do 1v1 when your storm. If you encounter a balance with judgement, your done. try doing 2v2, 3v3, or 4v4 with at least one life person.That helps alot.It also helps if you have a myth too because for their ability to take away shields( earthquake would be best to get rid of those eyesores we know as storm shields and for those blades that seem interminable) Hope this helps. :)

Survivor
Jul 12, 2009
Im sorry thst you fell like that be glad that youre not fire though you have weaker attacks =and still pretty low health

Cassandra Level 40 ice

Explorer
Aug 18, 2010
storm is not really good in pvp. but i think i can help.if you are in battle dont attack the one with most health....ever. attack the one with least health.if that dont work try this other thing.attack the HEALS.if the healer is out the tank(damage dealer)shall fall.being a beast at WoW i know this stuff so take it from a guy who knows the battle strategy. also you need the skill of char setup, or knowing what you should do to make him the best(armor and other stuff). i only buy armor that has the most health as possible. sounds dumb right? no. yes i may be losing the resist and added damage but i get more health.

Kyle Bearstalker
Lvl 35 Magus Diviner
1668 health "more health than any storm wizard my lvl"
212 mana