Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

WHOA! Hold on

AuthorMessage
Defender
Oct 24, 2010
So i am just in the training room of the pet pavilion and suddenly i saw someone with the pet i just wanted, so i click hatch on their friends bar and we both decided to hatch, when we hatch i notice i just got my pet again which is a sad discovery, but hold on a second, the pet i just hatch seems to have more score and more rare and ultra rare than the pet i had. What happen?

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
Well good news for you. When you hatch the resultant pet has the following charactersics:

Appearance / Pet Type:
50/50 chance on parent.

Pet Pedigree (the number displayed with your pet):
Something inbetween the two parents pedigree vales. Based on inherited talents.

Basic Pet Features:
Spell cards,extra PIPs etc based on the pet type.

Talents:
10 random talents out of the 20 potential talents of the parents. But if two parents both share a common talent, the new pet can never inherit 2 identical talents. (you can't inhert two spritely talents). But i assume there is a 2/20 chance of getting the talent.

Pet Stat Max Values:
Its a combination of the two parents. Some Max values will go up, some may go down.

When you hatch two first generation pets together it is fairly predictable what the potential talents etc. you may inherit. If you are hatching with a 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc. generation pet (especially from a stranger) there is no telling what you might inherit because you don't know what its parents were crossed with.

You can significantly improve a pet after multiple generations of selective breeding. This takes a lot of time and gold though. A lot. Remember that rare pets (better pets?) cost more to hatch. This becomes crazy expensive and frustrating especially if your wizard is under level 50. Most hatchings become waste (decorations in your house), you get almost nothing selling them. If you aren't prepared to begin a breeding program then hatch a couple times, get roughly what you want and be happy!

Any corrections, additions, or clarifications from other wizards is welcome!

Mastermind
Feb 29, 2012
Your new pet might look the same as the one you hatched with, but their attributes as well as talents are now a combination of the two pets hatched.
You can use this to increase an attribute of a school pet, which usually has one low attribute. Take my wraith for example:
It has mostly cool talents, but has a very low agility score, limiting the boost of certain talents. By hatching that pet with a sea dragon, which has universally high attributes, you can boost your wraith's agility for each hatch.
So after the first hatch it might be 180 instead of 150 (numbers made up). Take that pet and re-hatch with your higher attribute pet again. Now your new agility should be somewhere between both pets (180 and 250). Do this until your stats are as high as you can get.
Your pedigree will normalize as well. I don't like card giving talents, so I breed my sea dragons down in pedigree (they start at 72 and my ideal pets end up in the 60's).
Good luck!
pods

Explorer
Mar 02, 2012
LukeAndEye on Nov 13, 2012 wrote:
So i am just in the training room of the pet pavilion and suddenly i saw someone with the pet i just wanted, so i click hatch on their friends bar and we both decided to hatch, when we hatch i notice i just got my pet again which is a sad discovery, but hold on a second, the pet i just hatch seems to have more score and more rare and ultra rare than the pet i had. What happen?
Those 2 pets may of not been a combination together.

Explorer
Mar 02, 2012
Likeahbaws on Nov 14, 2012 wrote:
Those 2 pets may of not been a combination together.
Sorry, my answer is incorrect.