Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

When does my pet get spells?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 10, 2009
I hatched my heckhound (with no spells) with a fire forest lord that had several spells. When the egg hatched it looked exactly the same as my heckhound and didn't have any spells or abilities. This pet cost over 20,000 coins and I was very dissapointed. Will my pet ever get any spells or abilities?

Explorer
Jul 28, 2011
You still have to train it up to at least teen before it will have even one talent. Just because its from the hatchery doesn't mean you get to skip training it like the rest of us :P

Survivor
Mar 01, 2010
I was wondering why my Life Troll at ancient with maxed out stats doesn't give the spell i've been reading all over the place, or not even assisting my toon in ANY way possible, whether a simple plus one to damage or something. I feel i wasted my time into this pet only to be disappointed, and yeah.. he was a pain to get in krok

Explorer
Jan 28, 2009
Pets have a Posibble 10 abilities in each category of which you can get a max of 4 in each if you train to epic.

With that said Spells that may be cast by a pet are rare ability and above.

Spritelty for example is a rare talent usually in in slot 5 or 6.

Pedigree comes into play as well i had a sprite(35) no really good abilities to even train for really. But i trained it up to ancient to give it stas then bred it with my astral judge (62) ancient= new pet Sprite (47) with more rares in talent column. Raised it to ancient bred with astral judge (62) = new Pet Sprite(53) with mostly rare a couple ultra rare and 1 epic in talents.

Now to get ability i want : Spritely etc.. well types of abilities have a formula to them.
Spritely for example is agility/strength/power raising these ahead of other will increase your chance to obtain this ability.

So if you keep training and raising pedigree through hatching your pets will continue to get stronger and with a better selection of abilities to learn.

Hope that helps

Explorer
Jul 28, 2011
Ayahc20 wrote:
Pets have a Posibble 10 abilities in each category of which you can get a max of 4 in each if you train to epic.

With that said Spells that may be cast by a pet are rare ability and above.

Spritelty for example is a rare talent usually in in slot 5 or 6.

Pedigree comes into play as well i had a sprite(35) no really good abilities to even train for really. But i trained it up to ancient to give it stas then bred it with my astral judge (62) ancient= new pet Sprite (47) with more rares in talent column. Raised it to ancient bred with astral judge (62) = new Pet Sprite(53) with mostly rare a couple ultra rare and 1 epic in talents.

Now to get ability i want : Spritely etc.. well types of abilities have a formula to them.
Spritely for example is agility/strength/power raising these ahead of other will increase your chance to obtain this ability.

So if you keep training and raising pedigree through hatching your pets will continue to get stronger and with a better selection of abilities to learn.

Hope that helps

One thing I will add to this as an answer to ExplorerX's question is....

Maxing out your pets stats really doesn't do anything for you if it doesn't have a corresponding talent. Max stats are useful for derby pets though, i suppose.

For example, strength increases damage. You can read that when you mouse-over the strength bar. Unfortunately, the game doesnt explain that it ONLY increases damage IF your pet has a talent that increases damage.
When you mouse-over that strength bar and you read "increases damage" what it's really saying is, increases the % of talents that increase damage %.

You can have an Epic pet with maxed stats, but if all of its talents just add +25 or +50 to some stat, its as useful as a paperweight in any duel. Those are the pets you want to derby race with, as the cost of morale to cheer (increase run speed) is lowered for certain surfaces on the track.

On the other hand, if you have a Teen pet with a talent that modifies... lets say balance damage (called Balance-It, or something).... and your strength is maxed, its automatically WAY more useful in a duel, since its stats are actually affecting a talent, increasing your balance damage. But the increase is not much, and my 59 pedigree ancient evil sandman with maxed strength and will (the two stats that affect damage) only adds 5% damage only to spells I cast within the balance school of magic. Since all of his stats are maxed, he will not increase my balance damage any more at epic than he does at ancient. So the only reason I would have to train him any further is for a chance at spritely.

Sometimes its best to stop training a pet at adult if its talents arent useful in relation to its stats, since you can be sure the reward wont out-weigh the effort. This is why until at least Teen whatever game I play, i choose the option that adds the fewest points to the most number of stats. since I don't know what stats to train in to yet.
At Teen, if I get a damage bonus talent, then I'll solely increase strength and will until Adult. If then it gets a defensive bonus talent, I'll increase whatever stats say they affect resistances (agility and intellect, i believe.)
And so on.

Its kind of a gamble system, and a lot of the lower pedigree pets are more useful for racing in my eyes for this reason, since most of their talents just raise the max limit on certain stats.

Well, I said i'd add one thing, but it turned out to be a pretty in-depth one thing. But I hope it helps, as the short quest line in the pet pavilion does very little to explain this well enough for kids (their target audience) to understand accurately. And mousing-over for a little tool tip is incredibly vague.

Explorer
Jan 28, 2009
classact21 wrote:

One thing I will add to this as an answer to ExplorerX's question is....

Maxing out your pets stats really doesn't do anything for you if it doesn't have a corresponding talent. Max stats are useful for derby pets though, i suppose.

For example, strength increases damage. You can read that when you mouse-over the strength bar. Unfortunately, the game doesnt explain that it ONLY increases damage IF your pet has a talent that increases damage.
When you mouse-over that strength bar and you read "increases damage" what it's really saying is, increases the % of talents that increase damage %.

You can have an Epic pet with maxed stats, but if all of its talents just add +25 or +50 to some stat, its as useful as a paperweight in any duel. Those are the pets you want to derby race with, as the cost of morale to cheer (increase run speed) is lowered for certain surfaces on the track.

On the other hand, if you have a Teen pet with a talent that modifies... lets say balance damage (called Balance-It, or something).... and your strength is maxed, its automatically WAY more useful in a duel, since its stats are actually affecting a talent, increasing your balance damage. But the increase is not much, and my 59 pedigree ancient evil sandman with maxed strength and will (the two stats that affect damage) only adds 5% damage only to spells I cast within the balance school of magic. Since all of his stats are maxed, he will not increase my balance damage any more at epic than he does at ancient. So the only reason I would have to train him any further is for a chance at spritely.

Sometimes its best to stop training a pet at adult if its talents arent useful in relation to its stats, since you can be sure the reward wont out-weigh the effort. This is why until at least Teen whatever game I play, i choose the option that adds the fewest points to the most number of stats. since I don't know what stats to train in to yet.
At Teen, if I get a damage bonus talent, then I'll solely increase strength and will until Adult. If then it gets a defensive bonus talent, I'll increase whatever stats say they affect resistances (agility and intellect, i believe.)
And so on.

Its kind of a gamble system, and a lot of the lower pedigree pets are more useful for racing in my eyes for this reason, since most of their talents just raise the max limit on certain stats.

Well, I said i'd add one thing, but it turned out to be a pretty in-depth one thing. But I hope it helps, as the short quest line in the pet pavilion does very little to explain this well enough for kids (their target audience) to understand accurately. And mousing-over for a little tool tip is incredibly vague.

This is true maxing out stats isn't really useful since abilities have set limit.

But on the otherhand your pets stats are going to be maxed out anyways long before you reach epic. Why i said epic/max stats.

Reason to raise to epic 4 abilities learned in each category, but i agree if your pets haven't learned an ability you want by adult why continue with that pet.

Survivor
Jun 07, 2011
Archon
Oct 24, 2010
TaylorSwift90210 wrote:
I hatched my heckhound (with no spells) with a fire forest lord that had several spells. When the egg hatched it looked exactly the same as my heckhound and didn't have any spells or abilities. This pet cost over 20,000 coins and I was very dissapointed. Will my pet ever get any spells or abilities?

All pets have abilities. Whether this hatching resulted in spells or not won't be found out until you train it. There is no guarantee that you will get what you want in hatching pets. I've wasted tons of gold on hatching and although I've gotten a few good melds of powers, and won't do it anymore.

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
TaylorSwift90210 wrote:

if it has a talent that gives ya card then it will if it learns that talents
or if it gains the spell at a certain age
example my Pet Egg says on its page ( gives one tower shield card at baby)
i wont have to train this one to get the card but another like the minotaur pet i have says ( gives one minotaur card at epic ) i will have to train my minotaur before he gives the card to me during battle

those were pets that say they give the card and they give them no matter
because its not a talent
but my Pet Egg has a talent that gives me a blizzard card
this will happen once he gets the talent and i have him on during a battle
but if i unequip him his talent will not work till i put him on again

hope this helped and also yes my Pet Egg does have the talent for blizzard because he already learned the talent

Mastermind
Mar 28, 2009
20,000! rip off i heard you can buy some in krokotopia for 1500 gold :P