Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

what is the point ot combining 2 pets together?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 07, 2017
i want to know. when combining 2 pets. are the traits the new one can get based on what the origonal had unlocked or is it all random from all skills? are the max states of the new pets based on a combination of the origonals or random? so far from what I have herd. their is no point is raising your pet over adult. so why have so many levels above adult? is the pet leveling and combining system nothing but a disguized money sink and not worth doing? if posible I would like an answer from the company.

Explorer
Dec 26, 2012
I don't know who taught you buy you got a lot of wrong information from them.

I can't really explain though I'm also pretty new to pet hatching.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
tuckerpb2sto1 on Oct 1, 2018 wrote:
i want to know. when combining 2 pets. are the traits the new one can get based on what the origonal had unlocked or is it all random from all skills? are the max states of the new pets based on a combination of the origonals or random? so far from what I have herd. their is no point is raising your pet over adult. so why have so many levels above adult? is the pet leveling and combining system nothing but a disguized money sink and not worth doing? if posible I would like an answer from the company.
This is not an answer from KI...but it is from a player who loves pets

When we hatch we get a mixture of both pets, which is why it is important to try to always 'hatch-up' rather than down or equally. Ideally we hatch repeatedly with the same OP pet so ours gains their stats and talents. It's a long journey if we work only from middling pets.

The stat bars change independently of each other and could get the lower number, the higher number or the average of the two numbers. These affect talents that work on a percentage. The higher the stats, the higher the percentage when the bars are filled through training.

The talent pool changes too. For each talent the baby will get either the talent from pet A or the talent from pet B. If they have a lot of the same talents there is more chance those talents will remain in the pool as there are 2 chances of it being passed to the baby.

Hatching is a process and when we want multiple changes it will almost always take multiple hatches. When we want 1 change it can still take multiple hatches before the 'right' change occurs (eg kicking out a bad talent for a good one).

During the process there is no point raising a baby beyond adult because that's all that is needed to use it to hatch. If the stats, pool or body type are not as we want them we could be wasting our time, energy and snacks training a pet that will never be capable of giving us the outcome we want. That's why we only take a pet further than adult (or occasionally ancient if we want 3 specific talents) if the rest of it's features are spot on.

I hope this helps

Explorer
Jul 20, 2018
Along with the chance of getting rare or useful talents on a different pet, pet hybrids are a possibility from certain breeds. For example, breeding a Scarecrow with a Satyr has a chance of producing a Crop Watcher. As for getting a pet past Adult, more abilities become available for your pet to use.
Admittedly, Mega and Ultra pets do seem to be more useful in PvP than in normal gameplay, so stopping at ancient is probably best. But leveling up and breeding pets is more than the cash mill that it originally appears to be.

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
We mix pets to combine the most desirable traits from each parent, or to get traits from one pet onto a different species. Both the talents and numerical stats can be any combination from the parents, so sometimes hatches "fail" to give the result we want. Those we don't continue with. Some hatches produce exactly the desired outcome -- yay!! Those we train up all the way to unlock all the goodness. Unfortunately that doesn't happen too often. Many hatches produce partial success. Those we typically train just to adult, then re-hatch. Getting a "perfect" pet involves some luck, but mostly patience to improve gradually over generations, much like a champion race horse, show dog, or award winning rose.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Gemma Luna on Oct 3, 2018 wrote:
We mix pets to combine the most desirable traits from each parent, or to get traits from one pet onto a different species. Both the talents and numerical stats can be any combination from the parents, so sometimes hatches "fail" to give the result we want. Those we don't continue with. Some hatches produce exactly the desired outcome -- yay!! Those we train up all the way to unlock all the goodness. Unfortunately that doesn't happen too often. Many hatches produce partial success. Those we typically train just to adult, then re-hatch. Getting a "perfect" pet involves some luck, but mostly patience to improve gradually over generations, much like a champion race horse, show dog, or award winning rose.
Beautifully put!

Sorry, a charm wasn't enough for such a clear and helpful post

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
tuckerpb2sto1 on Oct 1, 2018 wrote:
When hatching pets, they have a strong chance of inheriting talents that the parents already learned, and a smaller chance of learning another hidden talent from one of the parents. Generally, babies get 5 talents from each parent (but sometimes they'll get 4 from one and 6 from the other).

It is similar for inheriting stats. As Victoria said, they are taken from one or the other parent, or an average of the two.

So yes, there is a lot of random chance in pet hatching. However, there are ways that we can stack the deck in our favor. First, pick pets that have already learned the talents you want. Second, always try to "hatch up" when it comes to stat levels. Third, when you are actively trying to breed for certain talents, it's best to only train pets to adult.

The only time we train up to Epic or Mega is after we've done enough hatching to be sure we've got the right talent pool.

As for asking if pet hatching is a gold sink, I actually do agree that it is. I use it to dump gold on my max characters when they're hitting the gold ceiling. Hatching is rough on low level wizards, who struggle to get enough gold and pet snacks to effectively hatch and train their pets. For high level wizards, however, it's a great way to use up excess gold and pet snacks that drop in higher worlds.

Also keep in mind that pet hatching is completely optional as a side activity that you don't have to do. It's possible to get one decent pet drop from a dungeon, train it once up to Epic, and use that one pet throughout the game. For most of my lower wizards, in fact, that's exactly what I do. It's only a couple of my max wizards that specialize in pet hatching, the rest just stick with one imperfect pet.

Alia Misthaven

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Freshta on Oct 5, 2018 wrote:
When hatching pets, they have a strong chance of inheriting talents that the parents already learned, and a smaller chance of learning another hidden talent from one of the parents. Generally, babies get 5 talents from each parent (but sometimes they'll get 4 from one and 6 from the other).

It is similar for inheriting stats. As Victoria said, they are taken from one or the other parent, or an average of the two.

So yes, there is a lot of random chance in pet hatching. However, there are ways that we can stack the deck in our favor. First, pick pets that have already learned the talents you want. Second, always try to "hatch up" when it comes to stat levels. Third, when you are actively trying to breed for certain talents, it's best to only train pets to adult.

The only time we train up to Epic or Mega is after we've done enough hatching to be sure we've got the right talent pool.

As for asking if pet hatching is a gold sink, I actually do agree that it is. I use it to dump gold on my max characters when they're hitting the gold ceiling. Hatching is rough on low level wizards, who struggle to get enough gold and pet snacks to effectively hatch and train their pets. For high level wizards, however, it's a great way to use up excess gold and pet snacks that drop in higher worlds.

Also keep in mind that pet hatching is completely optional as a side activity that you don't have to do. It's possible to get one decent pet drop from a dungeon, train it once up to Epic, and use that one pet throughout the game. For most of my lower wizards, in fact, that's exactly what I do. It's only a couple of my max wizards that specialize in pet hatching, the rest just stick with one imperfect pet.

Alia Misthaven
THIS THIS THIS!!! '..pet training is completely optional as a side activity...it's possible to get one decent pet drop from a dungeon, train it once up to Epic, and use that one pet throughout the game...'

We hear a lot on the forums about max stat pets (255 250 260 260 250) with clean pools and perfect talent combos manifested...people make these pets for sharing and we do not need 'perfect' pets for questing or PvP. the main reason pet-sharers make their pets 'perfect' is so that people hatching with them can achieve really good pets from just a couple of hatches. We definitely don't need to make perfect pets for using in game.

My balance wizzy favours her White Winter Owl that isn't max stat, doesn't have a clean pool and has just happened (by luck) to manifest some nice talents (not OP talents or perfect by any means). She uses him because he's cute, helpful and decent enough to keep her alive...I don't feel the need to swap it out for 'better' because I kind of love that pet too much