Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Understanding Pet Spritely Spell

AuthorMessage
Hero
Jul 30, 2012
- The following tests were performed to better understand the frequency of the Spritely spell cast by pets.
- The game was re-started before each test was performed.
- Every effort was made to ensure testing consistancy. Controlled conditions were used.

Test A
Level 13 Balance Wizard
Teen Brave Hound(57) First Gen
Minimum pet attribute scores

i) 60 Rounds casting no spells, just taking hits
--> Spritely cast 4/60 rounds

ii) 60 rounds casting small attack spells every 2nd round
--> Spritely cast 7/60 rounds

Test B
Level 70 Death Wizard (stripped of all gear)
Ancient Brave Hound(62) MultiGen
Excellent pet attribute scores

--> Spritely cast 3/60 rounds

--> Spritely cast 5/60 rounds

Conclusions:

1) The frequency of spell casting was not improved by the pet level (teen vs ancient).

2) The frequency of spell casting was not improved with significantly higher pet attributes.

3) For unknown reasons the 'better' pet cast fewer times.

4) Most of the Spritely spell castings happened in the last 20 rounds of each test.

--> These are not the results I was expecting!

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
RottenHeart on Dec 12, 2012 wrote:
- The following tests were performed to better understand the frequency of the Spritely spell cast by pets.
- The game was re-started before each test was performed.
- Every effort was made to ensure testing consistancy. Controlled conditions were used.

Test A
Level 13 Balance Wizard
Teen Brave Hound(57) First Gen
Minimum pet attribute scores

--> Spritely cast 4/60 rounds

--> Spritely cast 7/60 rounds

Test B
Level 70 Death Wizard (stripped of all gear)
Ancient Brave Hound(62) MultiGen
Excellent pet attribute scores

--> Spritely cast 3/60 rounds

--> Spritely cast 5/60 rounds

Conclusions:

1) The frequency of spell casting was not improved by the pet level (teen vs ancient).

2) The frequency of spell casting was not improved with significantly higher pet attributes.

3) For unknown reasons the 'better' pet cast fewer times.

4) Most of the Spritely spell castings happened in the last 20 rounds of each test.

--> These are not the results I was expecting!
Spritely or any "may cast" talent is purely random. You can't make it work better; the frequency won't go up with training, etc. Random means just that.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
RavenLady777 on Dec 12, 2012 wrote:
Spritely or any "may cast" talent is purely random. You can't make it work better; the frequency won't go up with training, etc. Random means just that.
Because an outcome contains a random element does not mean that its outcome can't be effected by variables or parameters. For example many spells will cause an amount of damage randomy determined between two limits. Those limits can be shifted, and bonuses can be added on to the outcome.

Many elements of this game have random components with 'hidden' modifiers to the calculation. The purpose of this experiment was to test various beliefs posted on the internet. It was triggered by a recent post on these forums by someone suggesting that the pets power attribute effects pets casting frequency. (nice guess, but clearly not correct).

But my test does confirm the following:

1) Bench mark values mark for the frequency of casting Spritely.

2) Multiple triggers for may cast spells. Additional triggers increase frequency.

3) Pet Attributes and pedigree do not effect casting frequency.

4) There is some unknown factor because my 'better' pet defintely casts with less frequency than my 'worse' pet. Possibly a first gen Brave Hound is special?

I am curious if different types of pets cast with different frequency (as suggested by many posts), but the time to determine this exceeds my curiousity.

Mastermind
Oct 11, 2010
RavenLady777 on Dec 12, 2012 wrote:
more likely to cast when your hit by 4 monsters that are also casting over times on you :) e.g battle 3 of 4 in mirror lake for example.

Mastermind
Feb 29, 2012
I have noticed that it seems my pet would cast spritely after I use an attack all drain (scarecrow).
Some days it seems he casts it over and over, other days he just sits there smiling.
I was farming Halfang with another wizard and his pet was casting spritely over and over. It was unreal.
I wish you could modify how it casts and there may be modifiers pertaining to how big the spell was, etc. Now to just figure them out.
Thanks for the work on this!
pods

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
pods1973 on Dec 14, 2012 wrote:
I have noticed that it seems my pet would cast spritely after I use an attack all drain (scarecrow).
Some days it seems he casts it over and over, other days he just sits there smiling.
I was farming Halfang with another wizard and his pet was casting spritely over and over. It was unreal.
I wish you could modify how it casts and there may be modifiers pertaining to how big the spell was, etc. Now to just figure them out.
Thanks for the work on this!
pods
It would be funny if you could give your pets snacks it loves just prior to a battle to improve its mood. Or to be more relistic, giving it a snack after a battle and thus train it like a real pet with positive reinforcement..

Survivor
Jan 07, 2011
All of my pets that I own are teen-adult with spritely and they cast way more in 60 rounds. It had cast spritely 2-3 times in a row without anyone going between turns. It's very random, but sometimes I wonder if they understand us. Sometimes I'll just say out loud "Come one, why aren't you healing me" and then it'll heal within the next 2-3 rounds. Or I'll joke with my friends like "Oh Luna, Dakota is beating you in the healing game" (and we all laugh over it) but then she heals like crazy. Kinda makes us all wonder cause it happens to us all the time. So now, we all talk to our pets. Possibly looking like fools, but it seems to help. Has this happened to anyone else on here besides me and my few friends? (happens on all 3 of my wizards with all 3 having different pets)

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
RottenHeart on Dec 13, 2012 wrote:
Because an outcome contains a random element does not mean that its outcome can't be effected by variables or parameters. For example many spells will cause an amount of damage randomy determined between two limits. Those limits can be shifted, and bonuses can be added on to the outcome.

Many elements of this game have random components with 'hidden' modifiers to the calculation. The purpose of this experiment was to test various beliefs posted on the internet. It was triggered by a recent post on these forums by someone suggesting that the pets power attribute effects pets casting frequency. (nice guess, but clearly not correct).

But my test does confirm the following:

1) Bench mark values mark for the frequency of casting Spritely.

2) Multiple triggers for may cast spells. Additional triggers increase frequency.

3) Pet Attributes and pedigree do not effect casting frequency.

4) There is some unknown factor because my 'better' pet defintely casts with less frequency than my 'worse' pet. Possibly a first gen Brave Hound is special?

I am curious if different types of pets cast with different frequency (as suggested by many posts), but the time to determine this exceeds my curiousity.
I do believe it is purely random but some stats do say about increasing outgoing healing and also if you are getting results from your testing then stick to whats working for you no matter what anyone says.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
PaulaRickle Said:

"All of my pets that I own are teen-adult with spritely and they cast way more in 60 rounds."

Absolutely. For sure your pet should cast many more times in 60 rounds. Many activities trigger the Spritely spell. The triggers significantly increase the probability that a may-cast will be performed. The tests described above was one wizard vs one enemy, and controlled activities. Two enemies almost doubles the triggers per round.

In a 4vs4 battle that lasts many rounds pets often cast Spritely several times. Sometimes a pet will cast twice in a single round.