Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The Talent Struggle

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 29, 2010
I've been trying to make a solid pet ever since the system had been introduced. The closest I had for up to 2 whole years was a Topaz Kraken with Myth Proof, Health Gift, and Myth Giver (Which was a gift from the heavens for me at the time). I was stuck with that pet for literally 2 years until I got my hands on a Fragmented Dragon, which by some miracle sprouted Myth Dealer, Spell Proof, and Unicorn, before failing with a selfish talent at epic, still way better than the kraken. I then kept that pet up through Khrysalis into Polaris, and out of seemingly nowhere I got my now current Mythdactyl With Myth Dealer, Giver, Pain Giver, and Maycast Reliquary. Not to say by any means that the dactyl is at all bad, it's worked wonders for me and fits my play style perfectly. Previously in pvp I wasn't doing sufficient damage in order to function at the pace I wanted, however now my damage is great and I've been doing much better, but without resist to help keep me alive, critical or not I'm dying way too fast. Now the problem as far as making these talents is that it attracted a lot of attention from people seeking the dactyl especially considering it's mass amount of damage, and I began working on making this perfect pristine pet as far as stats go. All the pets I hatched with attempting to make this pet were perfect! Pets with Myth Dealer Pain Giver Spell Proof and a combination of either Defender and Blocker, Defy and Myth Giver, Myth Assailant and Striker, Myth Boon and Pain Bringer, all great combinations. Some of the pets were also mediocre and included some pretty big fails, but I attempted to help out best I could. I checked in with my hatching partners to see their pet progress, their turnout was almost always exactly what they or myself was looking for, they even landed amazing talents that neither parent appeared to have. Where as my pet failed at teen or adult with a talent that seemed to materialize out of nowhere. I recently hatched with a Magma Colossus which now has Dealer and Double Resist at the moment, where as my new Colossus failed with sanctuary at teen. I know the common strategy and apply it with every pet I train, train it to adult re-hatch etc (You know what I mean). This method by review works for most everyone who does it. Every person I've hatched with now has a pristine mythdactyl or version of their own pet (which they wanted). I can't even get a single pet passed adult now. My character is perfect as far as gear goes except my ideal pet and critical block jewels, he's got the pvp ring and athame, full darkmoor gear, rasputin top tier amulet, soothsayer and road legend skull (depending on situation), but I just can not land this pet. For the love of everything, if any of you have any tips or secrets, by all means let me know!

Survivor
Sep 25, 2009
I don't understand what you mean when you say you can't get a pet past adult...and what exactly are you wanting help with..?

Delver
Mar 29, 2012
Im not that great at pets. But I have some really good ones due to 2 things. #1 Good friends. Some have hatched, hatched, and hatched again for me, and I for them. It does take many tries sometimes. #2 Pet Central. My death had a real struggle getting a damage pet. After all my tries, when i had a pet that was as good as I could make it I arranged a hatch with them. That hatch put the icing on the talent cake. I ended up with a pet that while not perfect, does have everything I was aiming for. Those pet central wizards are very kind, they will help you out. I also would be willing to hatch if we could arrange it, I have a myth too. I hope it works out for you.
Amber

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
Here's to you getting the pet with the look, and all the talents you want.

I share and live your pet talent struggle. It took me over three years to finally obtain the may cast fairy talent; and now its on most of my pets. On average, it takes seven hatches to end up with the pet having all the desired talents a player wants.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
It's just a matter of hatching and having the talents you want to manifest.

I have pets who give me what I want after a hatch or three, but there are also pets that I have hatched 20-50+ times, and I STILL can't get the right talents to manifest. I know what all the talents are, I just want certain ones to manifest for a pet, and sometimes, it's seemingly hopeless.

My Ice pets, which are max stat and have an excellent gene pool, refuse to manifest pain giver.

My Medusa, which has double damage and double resist, critical, infallible, and other talents, refuse to manifest resist.

It's just a matter of continuing to hatch (and or hatch with a friend), to come up with the right combination.

Sometimes it works relatively fast, and sometimes, it's slow as molasses.

Survivor
Mar 29, 2010
PhoenixxStarfall on Jun 18, 2016 wrote:
I don't understand what you mean when you say you can't get a pet past adult...and what exactly are you wanting help with..?
I can't get a pet to adult without it failing, and I'm trying to pick up some tips to see if maybe I'm going wrong in training my pets somewhere