Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The purpose of traits like "astitue"?

AuthorMessage
Defender
Oct 15, 2009
I have asked this question before and recieved no answer. I have searched hi and low for information with no success. KI could you please fill me in. For a second time I tried to see if training the pet for that extra 50 astitue gives the pet in intelligence. It did nothing to raise any of the talents. There are more things like astitue that raise the bar. My guess is they dont do anything either.

What is the purpose of these what appear to be useless talents?

Squire
Aug 12, 2009
Temperest wrote:
I have asked this question before and recieved no answer. I have searched hi and low for information with no success. KI could you please fill me in. For a second time I tried to see if training the pet for that extra 50 astitue gives the pet in intelligence. It did nothing to raise any of the talents. There are more things like astitue that raise the bar. My guess is they dont do anything either.

What is the purpose of these what appear to be useless talents?

The purpose of Astute and other 'Selfish' talents is so that your pet can have a chance at a Higher % on % based boosts, as well as reducing the cost to cheer on specific things more. Also, when you hatch, your Selfish talent effects the total of your pet's ability, thus raising the Price of the hatch and the chance to get a higher base stat on the next generation. Maximum stats on a newly hatched egg is 250.

Defender
May 13, 2009
For example if your pet has a rare talent that gives resist and an epic talent that gives resist, the epic one needs less agility, strength and power to raise its resist. All talents start with the lowest amount possible such as when you get the epic resist, it starts out giving you 1 resist. It can start out with more if your agility or strength or power is high enough so the resist could be 2. The higher rarity your talent is the less training your pet needs to raise its whatever. If you still dont understand what i am saying look at my example below:

Strength: 50
Will:28
Agility:43 Adult Pet
Intelligence:36
Power: 67

Epic: Spell Proof----- plus 4 resist
Rare: Spell Defying--plus 2 resist

So that was showing that the rarer the talent the less training your pet needs to raise the resist or whatever else they have.

-From Evan Hexshield lv.70 fire wizard!

Survivor
Apr 04, 2011
hmm should they change that? the maximum of 250 base for newly hatched? curious on opinions of that.

Survivor
Jul 06, 2011
Does anyone know if two indentical 1st generation pet with indentical attributes (neither have manifested selfish talent) are hatched together, will the attributes of the next generation improve.

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
If you hover over the stats of your pet in the pet's tab. You will see things like str increases damage, pip chance ect. ect.
So the higher the strength of the pet the more skills like pain giver (adds to the damage of all attack spells)

Say my pet has 250 strength and knows pain giver. At this point I have filled the pet's strength bar. and pain giver boosts the damage of all my spells by 5%
If my pet learns a selfish talent that boosts its maximum strength by 50, I can feed the pet more snacks to raise my pets strength to 300. At 300 strength pain giver boosts all my attack spells by 7%. Without that selfish talent I would never have been able to get that extra 2% added to the pain giver skill.

If 50 points could raise one of these skills higher than 2% it might actually be useful... As it is I don't think it can. There is also the problem that the selfish talent your pet learns may boost a stat that your other skills don't use...

Champion
Jul 30, 2010
example some pets with more strength and agility give more resist on spell proof and defy. my starfishes have about 225 of each they have 8 resist. sea dragon is about 250 each 10 resist imbetween 9 resist.

Survivor
Jul 06, 2011
zebulous & hanable33, thanks for the response.

I understand the relationship between attribute limit and its effect on the manifested talent. Just like most, I am trying to increase Strength and Agility attributes to inrease spell proof and defy.

Here is what I can share, hatching two identical pets will give you the original attributes. Any manifested selfish attributes does not carry to the 2nd generation when hatching two indentical pets.