Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Talent plus jewel?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 23, 2015
Not sure if this is the right forum. But lets say a pet has a talent, and the wizard owner has a jewel for the same talent. (In my case it's the spell-proof talent/opal, so i'm very excited. Just have to level my pet some more.) By socketing the jewel, will it double-up on the talent? Will it remove the talent and kee the jewel? Eat my jewel, or even not let me socket it? Anyone tried a double-talent yet?

Thanks much,
Steven Dragonblade, 113
Steven Deathsword, 51
Steven Winterbreeze, 50

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
Overtaker99 on Dec 29, 2016 wrote:
Not sure if this is the right forum. But lets say a pet has a talent, and the wizard owner has a jewel for the same talent. (In my case it's the spell-proof talent/opal, so i'm very excited. Just have to level my pet some more.) By socketing the jewel, will it double-up on the talent? Will it remove the talent and kee the jewel? Eat my jewel, or even not let me socket it? Anyone tried a double-talent yet?

Thanks much,
Steven Dragonblade, 113
Steven Deathsword, 51
Steven Winterbreeze, 50
The talent on the jewel will be crossed out and it won't count as a talent and your stats won't be changed from it.

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
If you socket a jewel for a talent you pet already has it will do nothing at all, you will see a circle with a red line through it on the jewel.

If you socket a jewel with a specific talent and you pet later learns that talent, the same will be true.

Survivor
Feb 12, 2009
Then does the talent on the jewel have to have the exact same name as the trained, manifested ability - in order to be 'doubled up' and crossed off?
That then begs the question - why is the jewel socketable if the talent is not going to be used? While conversing during a battle the other day, two other wizards were under the impression that you could double up with a star jewel on a manifested talent. I want to test it out, but at the moment I don't have any star jewels I can double up because the best jewels I have are 'Ultra', and my only Ultra pet has a jewel that I am not about to shatter just to test this out.

So my question is, other than the two people who answered that there would be some crossing off of talents, why isn't this posted anywhere in the jewel explanations from characters in the game? Why does it have to come down to trial and error, and even then, only a few people know about it. If I was to go into the game right now and ask, within seconds I will get all kinds of answers. Someone might even tell me that it depends what snacks I've been feeding my pet! I'm aware that information spread is part of the game/experience, and I do love that about W101, but there are many other instances where something is made to be not possible. Like I said, I haven't tested this out, so I have no idea if talents can actually not be doubled up on.

I do assume this much happens: if one crosses two parent pets, each having the same possible talent, then the slate of ten that the newly hatched offspring has will never contain a doubling of those talents. Some type of programming algorithm prevents this.