Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Some General Questions About Pet Hatching

AuthorMessage
Champion
May 03, 2011
I am new to pet hatching--I have one Level 58 pet (Humongofrog, now epic) and two Level 48 (Orthrus and Wraith, both Ancient), and would like to start hatching to get some better talents. I successfully got a Fiery Toad when I hatched with my son's Phoenix (beginner's luck), but I'm honestly more interested in abilities than looks. So here are some (noob-ish) questions I hope someone will have time to answer. First, can you hatch hybrids together? If I want to train my Fiery Toad and hatch with another hybrid, is that possible? Or advisable? Second, can I hatch two of my own pets, even if I can't equip them both? (Orthrus and Wraith, e.g.) If I can hatch two of my own pets, do I pay for two pets (ca. 80,000 gold)? Does it matter what level these pets are--i.e., is it better to hatch two epics, rather than an epic and an adult or ancient?

Probably these are dumb questions, but I really couldn't find definitive answers anywhere--if there is a good link, I'd also appreciate that. I have one Legendary wizard and one almost-Legend, so I'm kind of looking to pets as something to work on while I wait for new content...like a lot of people, I guess. Anyway, thanks for any advice. :-)

Tabitha

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
Yes, you can hatch hybrids. Usually you get one or the other of the hybrids that you used. I have hatched hybrids with some luck in regards to talents.

You can hatch two adult pets even if you can't equip them. If you are using your own pets, you only pay for one hatch. (you are only getting one egg).

It really doesn't matter the level of the pet. I personally like using epic pets just because usually the manifested talents are the ones your hatch is more than likely will get.

here is a link to information on central in regards to pets.

http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Basic:Pets

I read somewhere on a wiki, that it is possible to 'transfer' the talents from one pet to another by continually hatching the offspring with the pet whose talents you want. I am now on the second generation of mixing my Topaz Kraken with a Tough Troll. The Topaz Kraken is epic with all 'may cast' talents--shield, trap, blade, and spritely. The tough troll i used had a pedigree of 35. The offspring was another tough troll but the pedigree jumped to 43. That tough troll is now ancient and manifested pip 'o plenty, may cast myth trap, and spritely--all pretty good talents for a troll.

With hatching you can have a unique pet. It just takes a lot of patience--and a lot of snacks.

I do hope this advice helped.

Hannah Lifebringer Level 60 Life

Historian
May 01, 2010
tabby714 wrote:
I am new to pet hatching--I have one Level 58 pet (Humongofrog, now epic) and two Level 48 (Orthrus and Wraith, both Ancient), and would like to start hatching to get some better talents. I successfully got a Fiery Toad when I hatched with my son's Phoenix (beginner's luck), but I'm honestly more interested in abilities than looks. So here are some (noob-ish) questions I hope someone will have time to answer. First, can you hatch hybrids together? If I want to train my Fiery Toad and hatch with another hybrid, is that possible? Or advisable? Second, can I hatch two of my own pets, even if I can't equip them both? (Orthrus and Wraith, e.g.) If I can hatch two of my own pets, do I pay for two pets (ca. 80,000 gold)? Does it matter what level these pets are--i.e., is it better to hatch two epics, rather than an epic and an adult or ancient?

Probably these are dumb questions, but I really couldn't find definitive answers anywhere--if there is a good link, I'd also appreciate that. I have one Legendary wizard and one almost-Legend, so I'm kind of looking to pets as something to work on while I wait for new content...like a lot of people, I guess. Anyway, thanks for any advice. :-)

Tabitha

the only noob-ish questions are the ones not asked

first: you can hatch any pet together, but only pets that are "compatible" can make a hybrid
second:i think you will be able to hatch.
third: it depends each baby pet gets two of its stats from each adult, so if you like your pet like my stayr, which gives spritely and pips (adult, first generation) and you want those garunteed in another pet, its best to hatch at adult, since it only has two stats.

Champion
May 03, 2011
each baby pet gets two of its stats from each adult, so if you like your pet like my stayr, which gives spritely and pips (adult, first generation) and you want those garunteed in another pet, its best to hatch at adult, since it only has two stats.

So if you hatch with a pet that hasn't yet manifested 2 of its (4 potential) talents, then your new pet won't get those talents? I mean, it will only get the ones the parent pet has already manifested? Or, as Hannah suggested, it will most likely get those, but may possibly get the nascent, yet-undiscovered ones?

I have trained my Flame Toad to adult and so far it has two of the parent frog's talents, although it seems to have slightly stronger versions (3% damage at adult--my original frog got 5% at epic, and I think only 2% at adult). My son's Phoenix was only an adult, and not a myth pet, so I'm not sure what the other talents will be. It's kind of exciting to wait and find out--makes training a little less mind-numbing to think there may be a surprise waiting :-) .

Hannah, thanks for the link. I will do some more research before attempting more hatches, I think. Oh, one more question--the games seem pretty skill-specific, eg, the dance game gives agility, the maze gives intellect, etc. But certain schools are weak in some areas--like my Wraith doesn't seem very bright, intellect-wise :? Does this matter for talents? The reason I'm asking is that I absolutely cannot do two of the games--cannon and Gobbler-drop. I have tried and clearly I haven't got the keyboard talent for these. I fail repeatedly, and have given up. So my Frogs will never get maxed on strength, and my Wraith won't be really Willful. Do these things matter, talent-wise, at least in most peoples' opinion?

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
tabby714 wrote:

Hannah, thanks for the link. I will do some more research before attempting more hatches, I think. Oh, one more question--the games seem pretty skill-specific, eg, the dance game gives agility, the maze gives intellect, etc. But certain schools are weak in some areas--like my Wraith doesn't seem very bright, intellect-wise :? Does this matter for talents? The reason I'm asking is that I absolutely cannot do two of the games--cannon and Gobbler-drop. I have tried and clearly I haven't got the keyboard talent for these. I fail repeatedly, and have given up. So my Frogs will never get maxed on strength, and my Wraith won't be really Willful. Do these things matter, talent-wise, at least in most peoples' opinion?

At one time, I could not play the maze game or gobbler drop because I had a slow connection. I made up the difference with snacks and by doing the games that give bonuses to more than one talent. Eventually, your pets will max out on their talents--and yes, in some talents this is important. For Example...a higher intelligence will give you more power pip chance. By mousing over the stats, it will tell you what each of these effect. Other talents, such as the 'may casts' are not effected by the stats (that I am aware of at least).

Hannah Lifebringer Level 60 Life

Defender
Mar 05, 2009
So if you hatch with a pet that hasn't yet manifested 2 of its (4 potential) talents, then your new pet won't get those talents?

I believe Slammer was a bit mistaken here.

Every pet is born with ten Talents and ten Derby skills - but only four of each (at most) will ever become actively (visibly) manifested. The other talents and skills are still there, but they'll always remain hidden.

When you mix two pets together, the child gets five Talents and five Derby skills from each of its parents. Manifested talents seem to be more likely to be passed along to the child than hidden ones - especially if both parents have the same visible talent - but there's always a small chance of getting one of those hidden ones instead.

I recently had a multi-generation Cerberus (myth pet) get LifeGiver at Ancient, which came as a big surprise. None of his ancestors for five or six generations back had LifeGiver as a visible talent, but one of the earliest pets I'd hatched with was an original Cupig with Pip o'Plenty and Spritely. That Cupig had LifeGiver as one of its hidden talents, and it had been handed down (and stayed hidden) time and time again until it finally manifested.

As for weaker or stronger versions of variable talents - the ones that give a % bonus - those percents get higher as your pet's stats (Will, Strength, etc) get higher. Each stat has a current value (how far the bars are filled in blue) and a maximum value. If you hold your mouse over the symbol for the stat at the left of each bar, it'll tell you which type of talents that stat affects. The higher the current (filled-in) stats, the higher % the related talents will get.

After you play each training game, you can feed your pet a snack to increase its stats even further. The snack cards have the same stat symbols on them that appear next to those bars, so if you have trouble getting Will (for instance) you can feed it snacks that give you more Will.