Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

School only quest reward pets.

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jan 03, 2014
I searched and didn't find any posts like mine so I am making one. Before I do, it should be noted that I will probably be insulted, ridiculed and generally black-listed for this post, but I must do it so here goes:

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE change all school specific reward pets (and their hybrids) to be level restricted to the level required to actually get the quest and only for those players who actually complete the quests. I am so sick of seeing low level wizards using these pets they couldn't have possibly earned through questing and taking advantage of their higher level status.

You don't allow low level wizards to use Darkmoor hats, robes, boots, wands, athames, or rings so why are they able to use the pets?

I, for one, will not hatch with these pets until after I have earned my own through questing. In fact I believe I am the only person with this level of honor in this game. But it would be satisfying to know that players could no longer equip, train, or use these pets until they have earned the right to. You do make the quest tell us we have to earn the right, you know.

Otherwise you might as well simply remove them from the game entirely since no one need ever bother to do those quests to get those pets.

Defender
May 30, 2010
ghowriter on May 12, 2017 wrote:
I searched and didn't find any posts like mine so I am making one. Before I do, it should be noted that I will probably be insulted, ridiculed and generally black-listed for this post, but I must do it so here goes:

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE change all school specific reward pets (and their hybrids) to be level restricted to the level required to actually get the quest and only for those players who actually complete the quests. I am so sick of seeing low level wizards using these pets they couldn't have possibly earned through questing and taking advantage of their higher level status.

You don't allow low level wizards to use Darkmoor hats, robes, boots, wands, athames, or rings so why are they able to use the pets?

I, for one, will not hatch with these pets until after I have earned my own through questing. In fact I believe I am the only person with this level of honor in this game. But it would be satisfying to know that players could no longer equip, train, or use these pets until they have earned the right to. You do make the quest tell us we have to earn the right, you know.

Otherwise you might as well simply remove them from the game entirely since no one need ever bother to do those quests to get those pets.
I agree but remember so people which have the pet since he/she might have more than one of those wizards so they might have just put the pet on the other wizard. I think it would just be really hard to program it since there is only 5 pets per school not including hybrids.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
I'm not going to mock you, but I will point out that your request is kind of short-sighted.

Crown pets and many dropped pets are better than the school-specific pets. They tend to have moderately strong stats, a better mix of talents and far fewer 'selfish' talents.

As an example, I have a Myth wizard at level 76. She won a Dreamsong Seraph from a battle in Avalon and has carefully hatched it with a Maple Moose pet to get a great mix of Myth talents, including Myth Dealer, Myth Assailant, and 'may cast Myth Fuel.' Supposedly she should wait until she gets to level 98 and earns a Medusa pet for these talents...?

Or is it the pet itself that you think shouldn't be equipped yet, because of its special cards?

Again, to that I say, check out more of the Crowns and battle-dropped pets. The Maple Moose gives Myth Fuel, 3 cards by Mega. Frankly, I much prefer 3 triple-trap Myth Fuel cards - plus my Moose's "may cast Myth Fuel" ability! - over what the Medusa pet offers: 1 blade, a stun (that I'd rarely use), and a weakened Medusa spell that comes on a pet with several selfish talents I'd have to breed out.

Both of these pets were dropped, anyone can get them if they can quest at the end of Zafaria and into the end of Avalon. Though Emma herself happened to get her Moose from Mirror Lake, you can also get the Maple Moose from some Christmas crowns packs (meaning a level 1 Myth wizard could buy it). They can also be freely hatched and equipped by any school, at any level. The Moose and the Dreamsong are both miles better pets than the Medusa pet that Emma will earn in 20 more levels, at the end of Khrysalis.

So I guess I'm not sure what your reasoning is on denying lower level wizards access to school-specific pets that are not even as good as high quality pets that drop for "free" at much earlier levels, or that can be hatched with at any time....

Alia Misthaven
Emma Ravensong

Explorer
Jan 03, 2014
Freshta on May 12, 2017 wrote:
I'm not going to mock you, but I will point out that your request is kind of short-sighted.

Crown pets and many dropped pets are better than the school-specific pets. They tend to have moderately strong stats, a better mix of talents and far fewer 'selfish' talents.

As an example, I have a Myth wizard at level 76. She won a Dreamsong Seraph from a battle in Avalon and has carefully hatched it with a Maple Moose pet to get a great mix of Myth talents, including Myth Dealer, Myth Assailant, and 'may cast Myth Fuel.' Supposedly she should wait until she gets to level 98 and earns a Medusa pet for these talents...?

Or is it the pet itself that you think shouldn't be equipped yet, because of its special cards?

Again, to that I say, check out more of the Crowns and battle-dropped pets. The Maple Moose gives Myth Fuel, 3 cards by Mega. Frankly, I much prefer 3 triple-trap Myth Fuel cards - plus my Moose's "may cast Myth Fuel" ability! - over what the Medusa pet offers: 1 blade, a stun (that I'd rarely use), and a weakened Medusa spell that comes on a pet with several selfish talents I'd have to breed out.

Both of these pets were dropped, anyone can get them if they can quest at the end of Zafaria and into the end of Avalon. Though Emma herself happened to get her Moose from Mirror Lake, you can also get the Maple Moose from some Christmas crowns packs (meaning a level 1 Myth wizard could buy it). They can also be freely hatched and equipped by any school, at any level. The Moose and the Dreamsong are both miles better pets than the Medusa pet that Emma will earn in 20 more levels, at the end of Khrysalis.

So I guess I'm not sure what your reasoning is on denying lower level wizards access to school-specific pets that are not even as good as high quality pets that drop for "free" at much earlier levels, or that can be hatched with at any time....

Alia Misthaven
Emma Ravensong
They should have to quest to "earn" the right to equip said school specific pet. It wouldn't be hard to add a level requirement, they have it on hats, robes, shoes, wands, athames, rings, decks, and jewels. The system is already there.

It's a matter of pride. I worked hard to get my wizards to their level and earn their school pets then go to the hatchery and see a level 1 wearing same exact pet they didn't and couldn't have earned. This just makes the entire school pet reward system moot since no one need bother anymore. Might as well just remove them entirely.

As for which pet is or isn't better, it's all personal preference and, to be honest, what talents a pet starts with isn't even a consideration since simply hatching a few times erases those talents entirely. Any talent can be add to any pet (another of the many flaws).

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
ghowriter on May 14, 2017 wrote:
They should have to quest to "earn" the right to equip said school specific pet. It wouldn't be hard to add a level requirement, they have it on hats, robes, shoes, wands, athames, rings, decks, and jewels. The system is already there.

It's a matter of pride. I worked hard to get my wizards to their level and earn their school pets then go to the hatchery and see a level 1 wearing same exact pet they didn't and couldn't have earned. This just makes the entire school pet reward system moot since no one need bother anymore. Might as well just remove them entirely.

As for which pet is or isn't better, it's all personal preference and, to be honest, what talents a pet starts with isn't even a consideration since simply hatching a few times erases those talents entirely. Any talent can be add to any pet (another of the many flaws).
I see what you're saying, but I don't think KI ever intended school pets to be restricted to level the way you're suggesting.

Back in 2009, when the game went live, the only "school" pet was our level 48. At that time, there was no hatching. Our pets came with a single spell card and an automatic 5% pip boost. That was it. The pets were restricted to school but, even back then, if you had a younger wizard of the same school on your account, you could pass the level 48 pet to them through the shared bank.

We discussed how any talent can be hatched into or out of a school pet, and that is exactly the point. It's not really about talents anymore, now it's more about looks. Any pet can be hatched to have the same talents as a school-quest pet. The only unique thing left is looks.

But KingsIsle doesn't care about restricting that. If they did, they wouldn't have stitching.

While you can only wear a high level robe/stats when you're at that level, with stitching, any lower level wizard can get the look of a high level robe onto a lower one that she already has. A level 1 could run around in stitched Darkmoore gear. A level 5 with enough gold could buy & wear stitched Mirage gear. No, she doesn't get the stats but she does get the 'look.'

With pets, because of hatching, you can get the stats without the 'look.' (That's like saying you can get the Mirage stats on that level 5 wizard, which is an even worse idea when you think about it!) I actually would support you in making that argument (that certain talents should be level-restricted), except for how much it would mess up hatching to restrict talents to certain levels.

I guess that's the disconnect. There's a logical reason to restrict talents, though it would be a logistical nightmare to implement. There's no logical reason to restrict the 'look' of a pet to certain levels when the game allows stitching of gear.

Alia Misthaven

Survivor
May 28, 2014
Is it harder to hatch school pets?

Currently I am trying to hatch a forest lord pet but get the other pet I am hatching with about 8 times so far.

Am I just incredibly unlucky or are some pets hard to get from hatching?

Defender
Mar 28, 2011
It's always worked that way and hasn't caused problems.

Why do some people fuss so about what others are doing?

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
Dakota Goldrider on May 15, 2017 wrote:
Is it harder to hatch school pets?

Currently I am trying to hatch a forest lord pet but get the other pet I am hatching with about 8 times so far.

Am I just incredibly unlucky or are some pets hard to get from hatching?
You MUST hatch on a life wiz for the Forest Lord to pass. School pets aren't especially hard if you are the right school, but some pets are harder than others. If you are hatching an "easy" pet, it may be harder to get the other.

Explorer
Jan 03, 2014
Freshta on May 14, 2017 wrote:
I see what you're saying, but I don't think KI ever intended school pets to be restricted to level the way you're suggesting.

Back in 2009, when the game went live, the only "school" pet was our level 48. At that time, there was no hatching. Our pets came with a single spell card and an automatic 5% pip boost. That was it. The pets were restricted to school but, even back then, if you had a younger wizard of the same school on your account, you could pass the level 48 pet to them through the shared bank.

We discussed how any talent can be hatched into or out of a school pet, and that is exactly the point. It's not really about talents anymore, now it's more about looks. Any pet can be hatched to have the same talents as a school-quest pet. The only unique thing left is looks.

But KingsIsle doesn't care about restricting that. If they did, they wouldn't have stitching.

While you can only wear a high level robe/stats when you're at that level, with stitching, any lower level wizard can get the look of a high level robe onto a lower one that she already has. A level 1 could run around in stitched Darkmoore gear. A level 5 with enough gold could buy & wear stitched Mirage gear. No, she doesn't get the stats but she does get the 'look.'

With pets, because of hatching, you can get the stats without the 'look.' (That's like saying you can get the Mirage stats on that level 5 wizard, which is an even worse idea when you think about it!) I actually would support you in making that argument (that certain talents should be level-restricted), except for how much it would mess up hatching to restrict talents to certain levels.

I guess that's the disconnect. There's a logical reason to restrict talents, though it would be a logistical nightmare to implement. There's no logical reason to restrict the 'look' of a pet to certain levels when the game allows stitching of gear.

Alia Misthaven
I get it, but the point was during the quest our teachers give us we're told that we have to "earn" the right to use said pet by completing the quest. This is true of every pet so far as I know. These level 1 or 2 or 10 or 25 wizards couldn't have "earned" that right and as such shouldn't be allowed to use them. That's it in a nutshell. I don't expect Kingsisle to implement my idea, they ignore most, if not all, of the good ideas presented by players. Besides, there's no chance they will ever listen to someone they have black listed.

The point is the quest claiming we wizards must earn the right to carry these school pets which is quite simply a lie.