Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Revamp

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jun 14, 2010
I think that most of the pet system is flawed. Now, the pet system is still new, and this is just constructive criticism, which KI members may or may not except.

Am I the only one wondering how chasing fish through a maze is supposed to make a pet more intelligent? Am I the only one wondering how catching donuts dropped by some gobblers is supposed to make a pet stronger?

While the games are, admittedly, fun to play, I don't see how they tie in with boosting a pet's stats.

It takes months and months of training a pet to get it to epic. (for a person who only spends around four and a half hours on average on the game a week and doesn't do any energy refills.)

But what's the true advantage of it? A five percent damage boost to your character's spells? A one-time usage spell that likely won't help your character so much?

It's extremely expensive and/or time consuming to get the right pet snacks for a pet, either through farming snacks or spending money on them.

Let's say you get a type of snack that costs five hundred gold per single item and boosts your pet's experience by six. Starting from baby with one for each stat, you would need to do twelve games, so ...

x500 gold
6000 gold

So, that's affordable, but you need to get perfect on each game for it to be like that. Even pros don't get perfect each time they do a game. So we'll add a thousand gold to it.

+1000

So leveling a pet up from baby to teen is affordable. But, this doubles for each level that the pet is (baby, teen, adult, ancient, epic)

This, added up, is over two hundred thousand gold. Two hundred thousand! This is ridiculously expensive. And farming ... farming Waterworks doesn't work very well for anyone short of Legendary, and it can take months to accumulate that many of the same snack through farming. And, I don't have much experience with mega snacks, as I refrain from buying them, but they look awfully expensive to me.

The maze game is my favorite game, and I do it so much when leveling my pet up that I know the maze by heart. So, after a while, the game gets monotonous and boring. However, if the pet games had levels, then it wouldn't be such a trial to level up your pet by doing the same course over and over and over and over and over and over and over ...

The maze game is also pretty tough to get a "perfect" on. Not many people can get seventy snacks in sixty seconds. Even when a person figures out that the ghosts don't roam randomly, as there are certain parts of the maze that they fail to touch, they can still freeze you at random times.

One more complaint about the maze game? When you get the power up that allows your pet to eat the ghosts, it's difficult to see when you also have the speed boosting power up, and oftentimes I have got frozen by ghosts in the past for running into them because I thought it was still possible to eat them like snacks. I suggest making the power up leave a bright green trail behind you instead of those little sparkly things, as that would be easier to see.

The pet races, also, aren't exactly rewarding. The first prize is two arena tickets, and your rating moves up as slow as molasses. Each race takes around four minutes, but two arena tickets is still a low amount.

Thanks for listening to my rant. Thoughts?

P.S: Sorry for submitting this message before it was actually finished. I meant to hit the preview button :I.

Delver
Aug 12, 2009
I dislike the pet games, but love my pets. In the end I only level with mega snacks obtained through the Waterworks; it's a slow process.

Devin Darksong – lvl 60 Death
Digby Darksong – lvl 60 Life
Duncan Darksong –lvl 60 balance
Dylan Darksong –lvl 60 Storm
Dustan Darksong –lvl 60 Myth
Dolan Darksong –lvl 60 Ice