Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Renovate Pet Training...

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Apr 29, 2009
Been plenty of updates and upgrades (and downgrades) to Wiz 101 over the past couple of years but I would like to see changes in pet training. Feeding pets your odds and ends from your backpack, house, etc. isn't much to brag on as a upgrade. Helps me avoid stores to sell those "No Auction" items which most doesn't "train" the pet anyway.
I'm talking about a serious change to the Pavillion's mini games. They are already boring and I see we're stuck with that. They need some changes in amount of points you earn in doing these things. Example, the Maze game, if you get at least 70 snacks then you get the max amount of training points it allows which is 4 training points. I can get 100 snacks but why should I? I'm not getting extra training points for it.
This is my suggestion...time to change what you earn in these games. 4 training points might be ok for an teen or adult trained pet but not for those ancients and epics. I think getting a training point for every 10 extra snacks over 70 would be a very fair upgrade. I think getting 6 training points for hitting the Bulls Eye three times would be fair. Getting all 5 attempts right in the Dance game should be 8 training points not a measly 4. And the Gobbler game...well, not all games can be helped...this one needs to be replaced but I've survived on the other 3 alone anyway. The message is the same...time to update the pet training.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
Muisak wrote:
Been plenty of updates and upgrades (and downgrades) to Wiz 101 over the past couple of years but I would like to see changes in pet training. Feeding pets your odds and ends from your backpack, house, etc. isn't much to brag on as a upgrade. Helps me avoid stores to sell those "No Auction" items which most doesn't "train" the pet anyway.
I'm talking about a serious change to the Pavillion's mini games. They are already boring and I see we're stuck with that. They need some changes in amount of points you earn in doing these things. Example, the Maze game, if you get at least 70 snacks then you get the max amount of training points it allows which is 4 training points. I can get 100 snacks but why should I? I'm not getting extra training points for it.
This is my suggestion...time to change what you earn in these games. 4 training points might be ok for an teen or adult trained pet but not for those ancients and epics. I think getting a training point for every 10 extra snacks over 70 would be a very fair upgrade. I think getting 6 training points for hitting the Bulls Eye three times would be fair. Getting all 5 attempts right in the Dance game should be 8 training points not a measly 4. And the Gobbler game...well, not all games can be helped...this one needs to be replaced but I've survived on the other 3 alone anyway. The message is the same...time to update the pet training.

You're interested in training your pet in a fun way? Well, go to this link:
www.kifreegames.com/onlinegames/grubguardian
It's a really cool new game added there that allows you to train your pet, hope this helps!

Defender
May 31, 2009
JouJou11cool,

You are my hero. Never heard about that game before and checked it out - love it. Love that it uses your pets, that every game is different, that it's very challenging. Mostly, I LOVE it as an option versus playing the minigames. My only criticism - points XP for your pet does not compare to the mini games. As in, it takes 5 - 10 minutes per game, and unless you do very well, getting the 4 points that you would get in a mini game is hard to come by. 5 - 10 minutes for 2 - 3 points with this game, or 1 minute for 4 points in a mini game.

I probably would play this game even if I didn't have a W101 account, but not necessarily with the intent of training my pet.

Regardless, mad props to W101 for going in this direction. More, please, MORE!

And thanks again for posting that link.

As to the OP, I agree that more can be done. I had an idea that I posted on Central that I think was brilliant.

1. Make Ranked matches a way to decrease your hatching timer. As you go up in rank you decrease the time it takes to hatch - so that if you are a pet warlord, it takes only 6 hours between hatches. AND, for each medal you get, you take x minutes of your current hatch timer. So, it's 6 hours between hatches, so you do a few races, get 3 golds, and now 45 minutes are taken off until your next hatch.

2. Make practice races as a way to train your pet. Just like each game focuses on a stat, make the courses in each World (WC, Krok, MB, MS, DS, GH) focus on a different stat. And, since a derby race lasts at least twice as long as a mini game, the XP you can get for a 1st place finish is more than the 4 you get from a mini game. Also, the harder the courses, again, the more potential points. Chosing the Easy courses, 1st place would be, say, 6 pts. A first on an EPIC course would be 9.

With these two changes, the popularity of derby would sky rocket.

More people doing derby ==> Faster matches ==> more races ==> more fun ==> More people doing derby. Rinse and repeat...

Casp

Casp

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
Caspeen wrote:
JouJou11cool,

You are my hero. Never heard about that game before and checked it out - love it. Love that it uses your pets, that every game is different, that it's very challenging. Mostly, I LOVE it as an option versus playing the minigames. My only criticism - points XP for your pet does not compare to the mini games. As in, it takes 5 - 10 minutes per game, and unless you do very well, getting the 4 points that you would get in a mini game is hard to come by. 5 - 10 minutes for 2 - 3 points with this game, or 1 minute for 4 points in a mini game.

I probably would play this game even if I didn't have a W101 account, but not necessarily with the intent of training my pet.

Regardless, mad props to W101 for going in this direction. More, please, MORE!

And thanks again for posting that link.

As to the OP, I agree that more can be done. I had an idea that I posted on Central that I think was brilliant.

1. Make Ranked matches a way to decrease your hatching timer. As you go up in rank you decrease the time it takes to hatch - so that if you are a pet warlord, it takes only 6 hours between hatches. AND, for each medal you get, you take x minutes of your current hatch timer. So, it's 6 hours between hatches, so you do a few races, get 3 golds, and now 45 minutes are taken off until your next hatch.

2. Make practice races as a way to train your pet. Just like each game focuses on a stat, make the courses in each World (WC, Krok, MB, MS, DS, GH) focus on a different stat. And, since a derby race lasts at least twice as long as a mini game, the XP you can get for a 1st place finish is more than the 4 you get from a mini game. Also, the harder the courses, again, the more potential points. Chosing the Easy courses, 1st place would be, say, 6 pts. A first on an EPIC course would be 9.

With these two changes, the popularity of derby would sky rocket.

More people doing derby ==> Faster matches ==> more races ==> more fun ==> More people doing derby. Rinse and repeat...

Casp

Casp

Nice ideas. I also noticed that the snacks give more xp in grub guardian then in wizard101 pet minigames, so I'm going to buy a mega snack pack when I can.