Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pet traits - little confused

AuthorMessage
Defender
Feb 12, 2011
Hi There,

I'm having some trouble understanding what all the traits mean that are listed on my pet.

I read in here once that pets have "selfish" traits and I should not train past adult. But how do I know what a selfish trait is if I don't understand what the trait means or does?

Here's an example. The Firezilla I have give a card at baby and has a couple of traits that I don't understand. They are POWER and SPEED. It says 50% more power - but is that for my spells or the card the pet casts?

For speed - am I faster in combat or running or does it just mean that the pets card will occur faster in the deck?

If there is somewhere I should be reading then please let me know.

Thanks and appreciate the responses in advance.

Historian
May 01, 2010
AmericanHappy wrote:
Hi There,

I'm having some trouble understanding what all the traits mean that are listed on my pet.

I read in here once that pets have "selfish" traits and I should not train past adult. But how do I know what a selfish trait is if I don't understand what the trait means or does?

Here's an example. The Firezilla I have give a card at baby and has a couple of traits that I don't understand. They are POWER and SPEED. It says 50% more power - but is that for my spells or the card the pet casts?

For speed - am I faster in combat or running or does it just mean that the pets card will occur faster in the deck?

If there is somewhere I should be reading then please let me know.

Thanks and appreciate the responses in advance.

what people mean by selfish traits is talents that have no use in battle, power and speed, its not +50%, its just +50 to the max power you can train up to. press "I" on your keyboard (while not in text chat) or go to your spell book and go to the piggle icon, look at the right side page, you should see an increese in the power and speed then what it was origanlly

Defender
Feb 12, 2011
Thanks for the response - I'll look at this tonight after work and see if I can understand what you mean. the only thing on the "right" that I have seen is the pet derby info - if power is increasing that aspect then I'll be annoyed - I don't care about the derby - just the pet's ability in combat.

If anyone else thinks they have the answer then please feel free to respond - I'm lookin at you Gamma :)

Historian
Jan 05, 2011
AmericanHappy wrote:
Thanks for the response - I'll look at this tonight after work and see if I can understand what you mean. the only thing on the "right" that I have seen is the pet derby info - if power is increasing that aspect then I'll be annoyed - I don't care about the derby - just the pet's ability in combat. If anyone else thinks they have the answer then please feel free to respond - I'm lookin at you Gamma :)
those traits only help in tandem with other traits that your pet will probably get. for example, i have a pet with the trait 'health gift'. it added like 20 to my max health when equipped when it first got the trait. then i trained up his will and speed to max and now he gives a plus 118 to my health, raising a few points each time i raised those abilities. if he gets a trait when he ages again that increases his speed or will, i can train again in those and possibly get a plus 150 health bonus or something. when you run the wand pointer over the stats of the pet it shows which stats help which traits. hope this example helped

Defender
Apr 21, 2010
AmericanHappy wrote:

"Selfish" Talents increase the stats of the pet rather than boosting than the wizard with Health or Mana or helping directly in combat via spells. The "selfish" Talents also boost Derby skills, but you don't care about that.

Many people feel too discouraged to continue training past Adult if the first two Talents are "selfish". But it really depends on the ratio of active to passive ("selfish") Talents in the petnome.
Some of the Celestia pets have no "selfish" Talents in the petnome.

If they only boost the power and speed stats, those two Talents won't help you directly in combat. You should be hoping for Pip O'Plenty, Mana Gift, Spritely and Elf on Fire.
The full petnome hasn't been mapped yet, so I'm not sure what the exact ratio of active/passive Talents is.