Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

pet training to ultra

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jun 08, 2015
what's the deal on the pet training to ultra? all you get is a derby gem which is what I'm trying to get rid of in the first place which is a waste of my time . . . I'm only interest in healing and damage for my pet and don't want to waste time training for a gem that is useless to me . . . . why did they change this? Use to get a talent instead of a gem.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
The only reason to train to Ultra is if you have an ultra-talent gem (like Life Assailant) that you would like your pet to carry. Otherwise, it is not worth the time, energy and pet snacks.

(If they at least gave us a second gem socket, then I could see a purpose in training that high. But they don't, so I always stop at Mega.)

Alia Misthaven

Defender
Jun 08, 2015
so you can't use your ultra gem unless you train for it, but if you train for it, you don't get it in addition to the standard gem slot . . . and the only gems they are dropping me are derby gems and derby talents are what I;m trying to get rid of. Absurd.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
cardorarla on Jul 24, 2017 wrote:
so you can't use your ultra gem unless you train for it, but if you train for it, you don't get it in addition to the standard gem slot . . . and the only gems they are dropping me are derby gems and derby talents are what I;m trying to get rid of. Absurd.
The best way to get a usable ultra gem is by crafting a pet gem. Each school has a recipe that you can find in the Pet Shoppe Boys, near the Hatchery.

Upside: the recipe is inexpensive and the ingredients are few. Just 3-4 gems, 3-4 low level pet snacks, and 4-5 brass or steel reagent will make a star gem for your school. You can buy the pet snacks for the recipes in Wysteria, and the gems for 15 gold apiece from the crafter in Wizard City Olde Town, near the Bazaar & Baldur Goldpaws.

Downside: getting Valencian Steel or Brass for the recipes is really ... tedious. We can't gather, transmute or garden for them yet. They do drop from some mob battles, however, so eventually you will gather what you need.

Annoying side: You get a random gem. Sometimes it will be useless, or a very low talent like "Life Eye" that only gives 3% accuracy. Other times, you'll get something great like "Life Giver," that gives 6% Life damage.

Doing daily assignment quests is another way to get some good general Mega pet gems like Critical Blocker.

To get rid of unwanted gems, open your backpack and select a ring or other dropped gear, then click "quick sell" that looks like a pile of gold at the bottom. Page through until you reach the gems pages. Select the gems you don't want to keep and within moments you'll get quite a bundle of gold back while dumping what you don't need.

Alia Misthaven