Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

pet Training

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 22, 2015
When a pet trains it gets a talent with a manifested score at the time it learns that talent. Does a high manifested score of a ten on a may cast talent increase the odds of the pet casting that talent in a duel.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
No, I don't think stats control "may cast" talents much. Instead, I've noticed that some talents trigger very frequently (like the Conviction aura spell, the Vengeance aura, and also Spritely and Fairy), while others never trigger at all (Entangle).

What triggers a maycast talent is usually some action, whether done by you or by someone else in the battle. The more trigger points a talent has, the more often you will see your pet use that talent. The maycast Conviction aura, for example, is triggered by my wizard placing any ward, trap, or charm; by passing; by being stunned or hit; and even by healing. Just about everything seems to trigger that spell on my Death wizard's Deer Knight, such that she ends up with 90% stun resist throughout half of every battle.

Meanwhile, Entangle never seems to be triggered by anything that I've seen so far, despite several months of carrying a pet with that talent. Maybe it would trigger more in PVP, but in the main game I've never seen it work even once. (Consequently, I'm working on breeding it out of my two pets that have it.)

Maycast heals seem mostly triggered by anyone taking damage, or anyone healing. Spritely, especially, can be triggered by other healing spells, including a previous Spritely that your pet just cast.

Alia Misthaven

Survivor
Feb 22, 2016
Freshta on Sep 21, 2017 wrote:
No, I don't think stats control "may cast" talents much. Instead, I've noticed that some talents trigger very frequently (like the Conviction aura spell, the Vengeance aura, and also Spritely and Fairy), while others never trigger at all (Entangle).

What triggers a maycast talent is usually some action, whether done by you or by someone else in the battle. The more trigger points a talent has, the more often you will see your pet use that talent. The maycast Conviction aura, for example, is triggered by my wizard placing any ward, trap, or charm; by passing; by being stunned or hit; and even by healing. Just about everything seems to trigger that spell on my Death wizard's Deer Knight, such that she ends up with 90% stun resist throughout half of every battle.

Meanwhile, Entangle never seems to be triggered by anything that I've seen so far, despite several months of carrying a pet with that talent. Maybe it would trigger more in PVP, but in the main game I've never seen it work even once. (Consequently, I'm working on breeding it out of my two pets that have it.)

Maycast heals seem mostly triggered by anyone taking damage, or anyone healing. Spritely, especially, can be triggered by other healing spells, including a previous Spritely that your pet just cast.

Alia Misthaven
Alia, do you have a storm wizard i can breed with? i got a polar fox and polar bear

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Ultimate Gamer 101 on Sep 22, 2017 wrote:
Alia, do you have a storm wizard i can breed with? i got a polar fox and polar bear
I only have three functional storm pets and they're works in progress. Also, I don't have the kind of pets that are "in style" right now: most people want triple damage, double defense, but I've preferred support pets with several may-cast talents. Because I prefer may-cast talents, I don't have pets with fully maxed out stats.

1) Baby Sadie - Storm Hound mix
Spell Proof
Pip O'Plenty
Storm Giver
Storm Blade (may cast)
Pierce Train (may cast)

Also has storm shot, either sharp shot or pain giver, health gift, and spritely.

2) Miss Charlie - Firestorm Quetzal mix
Spell Proof
Storm Ward
Spritely (may cast)
Energizing Battery (may cast)
Pierce Train (may cast)

Also has storm blade (may cast), storm giver, health gift, storm shot, pip o'plenty.

3) Prince Jack - Steam Roller mix
Stun Recalcitrant
Spritely (may cast)
Storm Sniper
Storm Dealer

Also has pierce train (may cast), pip o'plenty, storm ward, either health gift or storm blade (may cast), death ward and lively (incoming heal boost).

And last, I have a pure Steam Roller that is only trained to adult and used for hatching to separate out talents.

4) Lord Lacey - Steam Roller pure
Stun Recalcitrant
Storm Assailant
Defender
Storm Sniper
Ice Proof
Spell Proof
Myth Proof
Death Ward
Storm Dealer
Lively

It has trained Stun Recalcitrant and Storm Sniper.

I'm willing to hatch any of them, but just want to make clear that these are not perfect pets. If you're interested in any of these pets, let me know which one and we can try to meet up this weekend.

Alia Misthaven, 120
Sierra Stormcaller, 95
Rebecca Raincloud, 50

Survivor
Feb 22, 2015
The reason I asked the original question about the manifested score was on my Death wizard I have one pet where Fearless Fortifier had an 8 when it learned its talent and another pet had a 10 when it learned the same spell. the pet with a 10 score casts Fortifier at the drop of a hat. it can be a trap, blade or a variety of other triggers, even a pass. where as the one that has an 8 score does cast Fortifier with similar triggers but at a much lower frequency. I have seen the same pattern in pets that have for example Enfeeblement or Fairy Friend. It just seemed like a pattern.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Dunerider10 on Sep 23, 2017 wrote:
The reason I asked the original question about the manifested score was on my Death wizard I have one pet where Fearless Fortifier had an 8 when it learned its talent and another pet had a 10 when it learned the same spell. the pet with a 10 score casts Fortifier at the drop of a hat. it can be a trap, blade or a variety of other triggers, even a pass. where as the one that has an 8 score does cast Fortifier with similar triggers but at a much lower frequency. I have seen the same pattern in pets that have for example Enfeeblement or Fairy Friend. It just seemed like a pattern.
Perhaps you're right, then.

I admit, I haven't looked for this pattern you're describing but I'll give it some testing when I've got time to kill. I mean, I've noticed that some pets are more active than others, but never took the time to compare their may-cast rates against their stats. Now I'm curious....

Alia Misthaven