Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pet Talent Guide

AuthorMessage
Defender
May 19, 2012
Is there a guide somewhere that actually tells what the talents do? I mean, the wiki has a guide but it's no more clear than the game is about saying what the talent does. Like 'Spirited = plus 50 Power'...it's nice to know that I can mouse over Power in the training games and see that it says Power affects all stats, but by what percentage? Does it give a boost to my wizards stats at all, to help her when she is in combat? Some more detailed explanation of what these talents do would be nice.

What about 'Mana Gift = plus 36 max mana'...does this mean my wizard is supposed to have an additional 36 mana in her mana pool when the pet is equipped. If it does, it's not working because she has the same amount of mana when the pet is equipped as when it's not. Again, a more detailed explanation of how this talent works would be nice.

Then we have 'Sharp = 40 max intellect' How does this affect my wizard? I can mouse over intellect in the training games and see that it affects mana, etc, etc., but how does it affect them? Here again, a more detailed explanation of how these talents affect my wizard would be nice.

These are just three examples, but there are so many talents, that it would be nice if a guide was created by the Wizard101 staff, who know better than anyone else, how these stats affect your wizard.

Although this whole pet thing is new to me, just as the game is, and I don't want to pass judgement on how these talents work this early in the game. It's just reading what I can on these talents, I'm really disappointed in the majority of them.

My Water Dragon gives me a Tower Shield, and that is a talent I really enjoy. My Fierce Hound and my Snake in a Basket both learned Spritely, and I love that talent, and my Snake in a Basket also learned Weakness, so I got a double blessing from that pet, though he seems to be very stingy about actually casting Weakness.

Personally I am disappointed that my Water Dragon hasn't learned Spritely, but I'm still hoping, since he's only at adult now. He did learn Sharp Shot though, which is another awesome talent for him to learn. So far he is turning into quite the pet, but have yet to see what his next two talents will roll out to be. I hope I'm not as disappointed as some of the other people who have posted in this forum. If he will at least end up with Spritely as one of his other talents, I will be a happy camper.

By the way, don't offer me gifts if I will hatch with you. If you have a great rare pet that has some beneficial talents (like Tower Shield, Spritely, Sharp Shot, etc) I may consider hatching with you, but only one person as I can't afford to spend the gold to do it more than once. Anyone offering gifts for hatching with them is an automatic and definite 'NO!'

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Pets are a mixed bag of luck - Wiki can be a good start to learn about them, I mainly use it to verify a pet I have won't get any talent I want so I don't waste time or gold for snacks training it. Having a cool pet does not always mean it will be a help for your wizard in battle, if you have a lot of friends to team up with on certain fights having a pet with perks may not be as important.

Mana and Health gifts are added to your wizards totals when you equip them. Spritely has become my most important goal in a pet because if I solo the boost it can give me can be a help. Currently working on a new storm wizard and a spritely pet is very handy to get by even simple fights.

The only solace I have in it all is that KI was very generous in allowing certain bundle card bought pets to get spritely at teen. For this I totally thank them for allowing at least this be a chance to get for sure.

Defender
May 19, 2012
That's my point. The wiki is no more informative than the game is.

I want to know exactly how talents like Spirited and Mana Gift and Health Gift, etc affect my wizard. What is the point of these talents? Help me to better understand these talents, as at this moment, I only see them as a waste of a talent.

I already know when my pet is equipped, my wizard's mana pool doesn't go up despite the fact that the pet has the talent Mana Gift, so what is the point of this talent?

At this moment, I only see talents such as Tower Shield, Spritely, Weakness, Quick Shot, and these sort of talents being useful, but there aren't very many of these 'useful' talents as opposed to tons of these other 'useless' talents. Who ever created these talents could have been a lot more creative and should really take into consideration just how useful the pets talents will be in combat, or just forget about talents entirely. I am not interested in the derby and really could care less about the derby talents. They are meaningless to me.

I would like to see a slight boost to my wizard's health, mana, etc for the Spirited talent. I would like to see the boost to my Wizard's mana pool with the Mana Gift talent. If these boosts are not visible to me, then as far as I'm concerned, they simply don't exist and the talent is a total waste of time and effort to train the pet up.

Please, let's make these talents useful or just get rid of them and create some new talents that are actually useful. If they are useful now, then give us visible proof that they do affect our wizard, so we can know that we really are getting the beneficial effects of the talent. Thank you for hearing me out.

Survivor
May 31, 2010
first of all calm down second don't take up room in the message boards with some rant

you say you cant tell any if the talent is in fact working unequip the pet and look at whatever stat it effects and thin equip it again and do the same as befor. like say i have 300 heath and my pet gives +20 thin i would have 320 heath understand? the same goes for all effects like that

Survivor
May 21, 2012
Remember also not all the talents that pets can get are beneficial to your wizard, many of them, like the ones that say +50 to power are for the pet not for the wizard.

Some increases to your health and mana are so small that you can't see them on the bubble, you need to check the actual stat page. They will increase as you train your pet. There is a guide I am sure that has the math concerning the percentage increases per total of attributes.

Defender
May 19, 2012
bloowdawn wrote:
first of all calm down second don't take up room in the message boards with some rant

you say you cant tell any if the talent is in fact working unequip the pet and look at whatever stat it effects and thin equip it again and do the same as befor. like say i have 300 heath and my pet gives +20 thin i would have 320 heath understand? the same goes for all effects like that

First off, I was calm when I typed this out and I wasn't ranting, I was questioning. Secondly, if you read my post, you will note I already tried equipping and unequipping my pet and saw no change in my wizards mana pool for the mana gift talent. There is no need to get all uppity about this. All I am doing is asking STAFF, not you, to clarify what each talent does, specifically. I would like a guide that specifies what each talent does, without being ambiguous about it. Is that so much to ask?

drgnluver1, thank you for posting a reply to this. According to the mana gift talent, however, based on the amount of mana the talent says it gifts your wizard, it seems to me this is a big enough boost that it should show in her mana globe, but it does not reflect any difference at all with the pet equipped or unequipped, which is one of the reasons I would like staff to specify what each talent does. If it has no effect on the wizard, then state this. If it has an effect, tell us exactly what effect it does have. That's all I'm asking. If mana gift does not affect the wizards mana pool, then tell us this, because if it is supposed to, it's not working.

Survivor
May 21, 2012
Just to clarify, I had a pet that had mana gift, but because the stats that was on the pet ( strength, Intel, etc ) had low numbers ( 10 out of 250 ) from the pet snacks it was only giving me something like +10 mana, so no it was not showing up in the mana bubble in a clearly discernible amount, so in order to see it I needed to check my stats page on the wizard, from there I could see the difference in the numbers equipped/unequipped.

A good way is to make sure you are completely filled up in mana/health and un-equip your pet and jot down the number. The re equip the pet and check again. If there isn't a change in the number to reflect what the + amount is when you hover over the talent then I suggest you screen shot both unequipped/equipped and send in a support ticket, you may have a glitched pet.

As far as other talents, the selfish ones that are for the pets will show up on the pet stats page, those will affect only the pet and any talent the pet may learn that works as a boost to the wizard, i.e. for Life Proof, Defy etc.

Here is a link for the one guide I found that has some info on the pet talents etc not sure if you have already read over it or not but maybe it can clear up a little on how some of it works.

http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Basic:Training_Pets#Player-Boosting_Talents

another place you can check would be the wizard101 central forum in their pet forum area, they have a lot of great info and maybe some of their members can be of help.

Defender
May 19, 2012
drgnluver1 wrote:

A good way is to make sure you are completely filled up in mana/health and un-equip your pet and jot down the number. The re equip the pet and check again. If there isn't a change in the number to reflect what the + amount is when you hover over the talent then I suggest you screen shot both unequipped/equipped and send in a support ticket, you may have a glitched pet.

Mana Gift = +36 Max Mana = I had already done just what you suggested before I made my original post, and it wasn't showing the boost from mana gift. I had tried again before my last reply and it still wasn't showing. I just tried it again now and they have apparently fixed it as it does show now, so it's been fixed.

Thank you for that link, as I had not found that guide on the wiki. It still doesn't quite answer my questions but at least I understand that some talents are useless unless the pet learns certain talents that it would affect (the selfish ones). I still wish there was a guide that was more specific as to how each talent affects our pets and wizards.

I have pets with the following talents:

Effective = +25 Max Intellect +15 Max Agility
Canny = 40 Max Will
Dogged = +25 Max Agility
Wise = +25 Max Will
Sharp = +40 Max Intellect (if this is a selfish talent, it should still affect my pet that has mana gift since it is the same pet that knows mana gift talent, but my wizards mana is only affected by the exact amount mana gift specifies. There is no additional visible boost from this talent.)

The above talents do not reflect on my character page but I understand that maybe there isn't a high enough amount to really reflect there. If that is the case, however, then I see these as 'useless' talents as they don't make enough difference to even affect the wizards stats.

Death-Proof = +1 Death Resistance (shows up on char page)
Death-Giver = +1% Death Damage (shows up on char page but for some reason when I equip the pet, the damage boosts she gets from her gear doesn't show up anymore)
Sharp-Shot = +4% Universal Accuracy (shows up on char page)

The gear my wizard is wearing gives her a +6 boost to damage, and it shows that amount in her character page, but when I equip the pet that gives a +1% boost to damage, her damage on character page goes down from 6 to only 1. I will be submitting a support ticket on this as it obviously needs to be fixed.

Survivor
May 21, 2012

I have pets with the following talents:

Effective = +25 Max Intellect +15 Max Agility
Canny = 40 Max Will
Dogged = +25 Max Agility
Wise = +25 Max Will
Sharp = +40 Max Intellect (if this is a selfish talent, it should still affect my pet that has mana gift since it is the same pet that knows mana gift talent, but my wizards mana is only affected by the exact amount mana gift specifies. There is no additional visible boost from this talent.)

The above talents do not reflect on my character page but I understand that maybe there isn't a high enough amount to really reflect there. If that is the case, however, then I see these as 'useless' talents as they don't make enough difference to even affect the wizards stats.

I clipped your quote a bit so I can give some help on this part.

When you see things like these what happens is the max stat that the PET had originally is increased by that amount. i.e your pet starts out with 200 max Intellect and it learns Sharp, it will then have a max stat of 240 so will take more pet snacks to completely max out this stat for it. In return it affects the derby cheer morale on that particular field and if it has a wizard stat boosting talent will have the ability to increase it a bit more in conjunction with the other stats needed for that particular boost. You will see that as the increase that it shows when you hover over the Mana gift talent as you train your pet.

If you aren't sure it has actually increased the max stats of your pet you can check the wiki for your original pet and see what its just hatched max stats are then compare to what you have on your pet if they have manifested those talents.

Many wizards try and "weed" out those talents unless they are looking for derby pets I think, through hatching with other pets that have the talents they are looking for.

hope this helps a bit

Defender
May 19, 2012
Ok that makes more sense to me now. I see what you mean, after looking at the pet's default stats and what it says her max intellect is now, it shows the increase there. However, again I see these as 'useless' talents then, since they don't really affect my wizard any and I'm not interested in the derby. I just wonder how many people really are interested in the derby?

Seems like there are more talents that affect the derby than there are to make the pet actually useful in combat. Not that pets are really essential to combat, but it would be nice to see them become so, considering they take so much time and effort to train them up. I'm not going to spend hours upon hours and days upon days training up a hundred or so pets to get one I'm finally satisfied with. It's simply not worth it. I would rather just stick with a half useful pet, which I already have. Being that the pet is only at adult right now, however, it still has a chance of becoming fully useful, albeit however slim that chance is.

Anyways, I really appreciate all your help, drgnluver1. Thank you very much!

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
Few things I want to point out:
You called wiki just as informative as this website. You clearly havent went through it enough to believe that you have the right to say that. They give the formulas for calculating how much mana you gain and whatnot.
Also, for equipping and deequipping you pet. You have two numbers in your character screen, Mana you have on you, x, and maximum mana, y. When you equip your pet, you will notice your "x" doesnt increase, but your "y" does. So if you have a +20 mana talent, before equipping your pet, you should have 130/185 mana, or whatever, this is just an example. When you equip it, you should have 130/205 mana. NOT 150/205 or 150/185.
Those "useless talents". Do you know how people get to be derby warlords?
These I like to call "selfish talents", which benefit only the pet and not the owner. (although it can be used to increase other talents maximums, like bringing spell proof 10% to spell proof 12%) People have hit only needing 3 energy for certain paths other than cobblestone using those.
You arent ranting!?!?! Me and you have a different definition of ranting clearly.
You are asking staff. Staff like greyrose dont have as much time on their hands as you would expect; so if other wizards can answer the posts, they let them do it and not themself.

Defender
May 19, 2012
Ronster55 wrote:
Few things I want to point out:
You called wiki just as informative as this website. You clearly havent went through it enough to believe that you have the right to say that. They give the formulas for calculating how much mana you gain and whatnot.
Also, for equipping and deequipping you pet. You have two numbers in your character screen, Mana you have on you, x, and maximum mana, y. When you equip your pet, you will notice your "x" doesnt increase, but your "y" does. So if you have a +20 mana talent, before equipping your pet, you should have 130/185 mana, or whatever, this is just an example. When you equip it, you should have 130/205 mana. NOT 150/205 or 150/185.
Those "useless talents". Do you know how people get to be derby warlords?
These I like to call "selfish talents", which benefit only the pet and not the owner. (although it can be used to increase other talents maximums, like bringing spell proof 10% to spell proof 12%) People have hit only needing 3 energy for certain paths other than cobblestone using those.
You arent ranting!?!?! Me and you have a different definition of ranting clearly.
You are asking staff. Staff like greyrose dont have as much time on their hands as you would expect; so if other wizards can answer the posts, they let them do it and not themself.

1. The wiki is not very user friendly and I have a really hard time navigating it. I did research it to the best of my ability, and if that wasn't good enough, I'm sorry, but I did try.

2. I'm already aware of this and was before my original post. Apparently you have misunderstood what I said in my original post.

3. As for clarification on how 'selfish talents' work, drgnluver1 already helped clear this up for me. I still call those talents 'useless', because I am not interested in the derby and have no intentions of ever participating in the derby, let alone reach 'warlord' or whatever other titles go along with it. I seriously question how many players really are interested in the derby.

4. I'm not going to get rude with you or argue with you as you did with me, because it just isn't worth it, but the original post was not intended as a rant. I'm sorry if people took it that way.

5. If guides like this were created when the talents were created, then it would only have been a little more work for the staff had clarification been provided at the beginning and would have prevented numerous questions popping up by players time after time after time, thereby would eliminate a lot of time wasted by staff trying to explain.

I don't care if players answer my questions to the best of their ability, if they happen to know the answers. I appreciate their taking the time out of their game play to answer, but it's not their job to do so. Any other MMORPG I have played has always provided detailed information as to how player stats work and as to how stats on equipable items work, etc. The information is not vague or ambiguous, as it is in the pet training games.

I find the information on this game to be very lacking, and would really like to see this be improved upon. For pet talents that actually do affect the wizards, they should at least provide a percentage figure of how much the talent affects the wizard...let's say for example, intellect. What percentage does each point of intellect provide to my wizard? Yes it can be a fraction of a percentage, but some figure should be provided so people can actually figure out how much mana the intellect should be adding, to mana gift for example. Then they could at least figure out if they are actually getting the increase or not, and at the correct amount.

Do I think this is too much work for the staff to figure in to the details? No, that's their job and it should be provided at release. If they have to delay the release until they have figured these things out, well, then that's what they should do.