Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pet Feeding

AuthorMessage
Administrator
You've been asking for more ways to improve your pets, and currently the only thing we offer is the ability to play minigames and feed them pet snacks. Well all those strenuous minigames and duels have given your pets much bigger appetites than those measly snacks can fulfill, so we're introducing the ability to feed your pets items that you have in your backpack!

You will have the ability to feed your currently equipped pet any item* that's in your inventory and receive a variety of rewards ranging from gold, to treasure cards, to rare reagents, and occasionally even pet experience. Every item that is fed to a pet can either return gold, an item, or pet stats.
*excludes other pets, mounts and houses

Feeding a pet equipment & housing items is done through a simple 'Feed' button that appears next to the ‘Trash’ button in your backpack. You can only feed a pet while it is equipped and you will get a confirmation window similar to the trash button. So start feeding your pets all those extra items that are taking up space in your backpack

community@wizard101.com
Defender
Jul 06, 2010
Actually I think i've seen gold every time I've fed my pet, then various rewards. I kinda feel like i'm gardening my pet.
In a way it's kinda like hitting up a genie, or ape in the bundle houses, or like the old wishing wells that used crowns.

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
FleurDeMort wrote:
Actually I think i've seen gold every time I've fed my pet, then various rewards. I kinda feel like i'm gardening my pet.
In a way it's kinda like hitting up a genie, or ape in the bundle houses, or like the old wishing wells that used crowns.

Yeah it does feel like gardening the pet haha. I didn't get any experience or anything and I fed about 15 items?

Survivor
Jan 06, 2011
My pet is equipped and I see the button that we are suppose to push to feed it, but it is grayed out. What am I missing? I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong but I don't know what it is. Help! lol

Cyrilla

Defender
Aug 06, 2010
From what I can tell, this feeding is not really to gain experience on pets. It's seems to be a quick way to get rid of unwanted items without having to go to the bazaar or vendors to sell back. I fed some seeds to my pet and got roughly the same gold I would have gotten if I sold them - but at least I didn't have to travel to do it. So I do appreciate that. I haven't fed any equipment... I should get the same equipment and compare gold return on selling at bazaar and feeding pet... hmm...

But, it looks like we still need to go through games if we want to raise our pets.

Survivor
Jan 19, 2011
Well, I been feeding my pet the matching type of it(like storm food feed to storm pet etc.)and it has grown into a adult real quick! :D

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
ellielee wrote:
From what I can tell, this feeding is not really to gain experience on pets. It's seems to be a quick way to get rid of unwanted items without having to go to the bazaar or vendors to sell back. I fed some seeds to my pet and got roughly the same gold I would have gotten if I sold them - but at least I didn't have to travel to do it. So I do appreciate that. I haven't fed any equipment... I should get the same equipment and compare gold return on selling at bazaar and feeding pet... hmm...

But, it looks like we still need to go through games if we want to raise our pets.

But as Greyrose mentions in the original post. This is an improvement, KI also acknowledges that the mini-games after a time do become strenuous. What I got from that post was that this method of feeding pets would help speed up the whole raising of the pet. If the improvement to pets was merely to feed it more stuff just for gold and random items. Then that's not what I would have called an improvement. If anyone can get XP from feeding pets this way, maybe just raising the chance of getting XP by say 3% or so would be of a great help.

But as it has looked so far, everyone is just going to have obese humungofrog fat pets in hopes of gaining experience.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
Professor Greyrose wrote:
You will have the ability to feed your currently equipped pet any item* that's in your inventory and receive a variety of rewards ranging from gold, to treasure cards, to rare reagents, and occasionally even pet experience. Every item that is fed to a pet can either return gold, an item, or pet stats.

Not true. I have a glut of old treasure cards in my inv. that I would love to get rid of. They can't be traded,sold to any vendor,banked,or even deleted. I was looking forward to having my pets get rid of them. But contrary to your statement, pets cannot be fed these cards. Will this issue be fixed?

Explorer
Dec 16, 2009
I haven't got anything besides gol and I am mad!
are the items consistent or is it different every time?

Squire
Aug 12, 2009
You get XP mostly from 'No Auction' / 'Crowns Only' items... Crowns Seed drops are great for this.

Squire
Mar 07, 2011
I have several friends who have told me when they got experience from feeding an item to their pet, the experience did not show up on their pets stats sheet. Is this a bug?

I've only gotten gold and treasure cards from feeding so far.

Survivor
Jun 17, 2011
This new thing is completely awesome.
I fed my pets some rings and it gave me tempest and heck hound treasure cards(the rings were no auction)whereas i would had got some little gold at shopping district.
Plus i fed my frog some pink dandelions and i got 2 xp from them(the pet xp i mean)

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Johnist wrote:
You get XP mostly from 'No Auction' / 'Crowns Only' items... Crowns Seed drops are great for this.

I noticed I consistently get 4 XP from crowns items (every 3 or 4 items).

Mastermind
Jun 10, 2011
Pyrsik wrote:
Professor Greyrose wrote:

Not true. I have a glut of old treasure cards in my inv. that I would love to get rid of. They can't be traded,sold to any vendor,banked,or even deleted. I was looking forward to having my pets get rid of them. But contrary to your statement, pets cannot be fed these cards. Will this issue be fixed?

"rewards ranging from gold, to treasure cards " Rewards are treasure cards! And if you would like to get rid of some treasure cards, judt right click on them and they will be destroyed.

Defender
Mar 13, 2011
From the standpoint of training pets I am glad to see this addition. I have fed one of my pet many things and have gotten some extra experience for it.

However, I am afraid that this will greatly reduce what is sold at the bazaar.

I have gotten many items I wanted for my garden from here rather than from farming, in most cases it is faster. I believe this will become much harder to do.

My wife also plays and likes to reward herself with items sold at the bazaar. Her choices may become greatly reduced.

Survivor
Jul 28, 2010
I've been feeding my pet a lot of good gear and I only get about 100-300 gold per feed. I only get good things and pet exp. when I feed it Crowns items (i.e. Dragon's Hoard or other packs). It's good to clear out my backpack, but I wish that the rewards were a bit better.

Despite the one little thing, I think the pet feeding is a great idea!

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
So after some more pet feeding I got a bunch of experience this time round (about 20 xp). I think it does depend on whether or not the item is No Auction or Crown gear. But I did manage to get some XP from plain gear. But the odds are higher I guess for auction/crown gear.

If I'm wrong with that idea then I'm gonna guess its completely random and the XP odds are just low.

Survivor
Mar 28, 2009
i have gain money, regeants and treasure cards from feed my pets items rarly have my pet gain any stat from it but it lot easyer to feed the pet the items when your bag get close to full then having to travel all the way back to wizard city from other world to get to the bazzar to sell the items just wish you could gain pet stat more often while you gain the money can cards at the same time.

Survivor
Jul 17, 2008
I thought it was feeding my pet all the pet snacks i had then I noticed my wands were all gone and then my boots I was SO mad that I lost all my hard earned stuff *sigh* hopefully I can remember thebosses which I farmed them from :? :? :?

Survivor
Apr 04, 2011
i do gain xp occasionally but i like to feed them no auction items or other things i can't sell at bazaar. So far I like this system, maybe see experience a bit more often.

Survivor
Feb 22, 2009
aight so shouldnt we be able to feed our pets snacks not clothes it would make alot of sense if we could do that
Wolf Deathorn Lvl 70 Diviner

Survivor
Jun 11, 2011
Honestly, finding snacks to upgrade (experience) your pets faster like it gives them 10 or more experience per snack should be able to be attainable. (If they are, then i had no idea.) I spend a while in the Pet Pavilion just to make my pet better, but the thing that improves my pet more than the games are the snacks. my pet loves Nettle Root, and likes Moon Pie/Cake and Meat Soup, but they're never enough!

Survivor
Dec 16, 2011
I think this would be a good update, because the only pet pavillion game I'm good at is the dancing.

Survivor
Sep 25, 2010
I accidentally fed my special robe to my pet - any suggestions on how to get it back?

Administrator
ryan030800 wrote:
I accidentally fed my special robe to my pet - any suggestions on how to get it back?

You cannot. You are responsible for taking care of your own items, young Wizard.

community@wizard101.com