Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

New To Pets

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 20, 2010
I am new to Wizard 101. I would like to learn more about pets.
I have a question about pet talents. In battle, can I choose when the pet will use its talent? Also, can both me and my pet use a spell during the same turn or only the pet? Do stats affect talents?
And if a pet comes with an item card, do I have to equip that pet in order to use it?

Squire
Apr 30, 2010
Pet talents depend on the pet, they are random. Even if you have three of the same pets, all talents are suppose to be different. The only ones you have no control over are spirtly and may cast. If the pet has a card at baby, teen, adult etc. you have to click on it to use it. Yes you have to equip the pet in order to use it. Also, you have to train the pet by playing pet games in the Pet Pavillion.

Historian
May 01, 2010
FireBruno wrote:
I am new to Wizard 101. I would like to learn more about pets.
I have a question about pet talents. In battle, can I choose when the pet will use its talent? Also, can both me and my pet use a spell during the same turn or only the pet? Do stats affect talents?
And if a pet comes with an item card, do I have to equip that pet in order to use it?

its timing is random like the previous poster said, but it think the stats of the pet (streagth intelect agility yada yada yada) do actually effect the pets talent. you both can use a spell in the same turn ,this is usually what happens, sometimes when you cast a spell (these are the may cast buff ones), after its dont, your pet does his little dance and casts whatever he is casting on you. and then for the others (most notorious, spritely,) can cast when you take damage give damage, its really random (dont really get your hopes up, but i have seen up to 6 sprites on a person in the same turn!)
and yea, anything your pet can offer to you (buffs, stat boosts, extra cards,) can only be used when you have it equiped.

Explorer
Nov 23, 2008
stats may affect talent my friend. An orthrus or another school pet can effect its own and pets can come from boss drops, crown shop of hidden pet shops all over the spiral.

Community Leader

First of all, welcome to the world of Wizard101 Pets!

Second of all, if you want to see what talents your pet has. First, you need to train your pet in the Pet Pavilion area. Each time you gain a level, you gain a talent.

Third of all, there are two kinds of talents your pet might have that can help you in battles. There are talents such as Spell Proof, Sharp Shot and etc. They will boost your wizard's statistics in your resistance, accuracy and other things. But then there are "May Cast" talents your pets might gain such as Spritely.

In a battle, your pet with a "May Cast" Spritely talent, will randomly do Spritely whenever it wants to. You cannot tell your pet when to do a "May Cast" talent.

Fourth of all, Card talents are different. Your pet is essentially giving you an extra card for your deck to use. You will know if it's a Card talent if you see a card next to your Pet's picture. OR if you hover across its talent and it shows a card. You can use that card at ANY time whenever it pops up in your deck while in a battle. It's not like a treasure card which once you use it, it vanishes. No no, you have that card with you permanently as long as your pet is equipped. Once not equipped, you cannot use that card.

Fifth of all and the most complex part is that...

Yes Stats do affect certain talents like Spell Proof, Sharp Shot and etc. But it doesn't affect the "May Cast" talents. Although the higher the level your pet is, the more often your pet will cast the "May Cast" talents.

Example: A pet with 125 Strength and 130 Agility. Spell proof is normally 9%. When the pet is a Baby, it will be 3%. As you gain levels, you will also see that percentage rise to 8% or 9%. At Epic, the basic max could be 8 - 9%

But then, there are certain "low" talents such as Tireless which raises your pet's Strength and Agility. This talent can also boost Spell Proof's percentage just because it gave your pet extra Strength and Agility.

So if you happen to have Tireless on this pet which gives your pet extra 20 Strength and 25 Agility. This means 145 Strength and 155 Agility. This simple boost also boosts your Spell Proof. Possibly to 11% or more.

Here's the thing: the higher the stats are, the better. If you want the best Spell Proof, get a pet with the highest base Strength and Agility from build from there. A simple WC pet with low 50 Strength and 50 Agility won't ever compare to a Sea Dragon's 200, 250 something Stats, no matter how you try to build it up with certain talents. But if you build up a Sea Dragon's talents, you can get the best percentage and potential out of all pets.

So research carefully and be wise about how you want this pet to turn out.

Need help with Zeke, Packs, Pets, Gear? Stars of the Spiral has guides for everything that you can think of. Click here to visit our site today!
Survivor
Sep 20, 2010
Thank you, everyone! I know the Sea Dragon is the best at stats, abilities and talents, and I am really glad you told me more about them. May the magic be with you, Young Wizards ;)