Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

"May casts" barely help whatsover

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 16, 2009
Before Azteca came out, spritely was awesome! It would always cast, and would give you little pieces of health.

Now, it seems my wyvern is dead...

It can cast ice blade, ice trap, and sprite. But now it rarely does

It seems...

-Spritely casts more after you have finished the creatures a battle... Not during it.
-Iceblade casts after a big hit: A hit that could have used a nice boost from iceblade
-Ice trap.... Well ice trap rarely even casts whatsover, not really going to count it

All of these abilities seem to die once we enter a boss battle...

What should I do? Get a new pet? Is their anything I can do?

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
kingdra36 on Jan 2, 2013 wrote:
Before Azteca came out, spritely was awesome! It would always cast, and would give you little pieces of health.

Now, it seems my wyvern is dead...

It can cast ice blade, ice trap, and sprite. But now it rarely does

It seems...

-Spritely casts more after you have finished the creatures a battle... Not during it.
-Iceblade casts after a big hit: A hit that could have used a nice boost from iceblade
-Ice trap.... Well ice trap rarely even casts whatsover, not really going to count it

All of these abilities seem to die once we enter a boss battle...

What should I do? Get a new pet? Is their anything I can do?
IMHO i feel that pet casting is all random and it seems you may have just had some bad luck.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
I spent hours studying this and found that pet blade/trap may cast spells gets triggered when you perform an attack, not from an enemy attack.

Kinda useless if your general strategy is to blade/trap then kill with single hit.

Side note: I spent really big time & gold selectively hatching a reaper pet with multiple may-casts (blade & trap) only to be very disapointed. The ultimate death school may-cast pet sits in my cottage.

Survivor
Jan 07, 2011
It's all random. My pet will sometimes go on a healing frenzy and cast sprite 3-4 times in a row without anyone having a turn in between and sometimes it won't cast it at all in battle or cast right before I kill what ever I am battling. When it first learned it, my pet rarely cast it. Now it seems like it's getting the hang of it and sometimes I swear it knows what I'm saying. It usually always casts it shortly after I mention out loud that he/she must be sleeping or telling the pet that my other friends pet is beating it in the healing process. It ends up healing me within a couple round later. Sometimes right after I say it. So now we all talk to our pets just in case. We don't know for sure if it hears us. but we also don't know for sure if it doesn't. Just a thought :) Hope it gets better for you

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
PaulaRickele on Jan 4, 2013 wrote:
It's all random. My pet will sometimes go on a healing frenzy and cast sprite 3-4 times in a row without anyone having a turn in between and sometimes it won't cast it at all in battle or cast right before I kill what ever I am battling. When it first learned it, my pet rarely cast it. Now it seems like it's getting the hang of it and sometimes I swear it knows what I'm saying. It usually always casts it shortly after I mention out loud that he/she must be sleeping or telling the pet that my other friends pet is beating it in the healing process. It ends up healing me within a couple round later. Sometimes right after I say it. So now we all talk to our pets just in case. We don't know for sure if it hears us. but we also don't know for sure if it doesn't. Just a thought :) Hope it gets better for you
The probability of a may-cast spell occouring is affected by in-game triggers. Spritely has many more triggers and defintely performs more often than other may-cast spells. The probability of a may-cast has a random component.

For example, triggers for blade and trap may-cast spells are from your own wizard casting attack spells. If your wizard performs no attacks then your pet will cast blade/trap spells very very rarely. I know this with certainty because I spent big hours testing this under various conditions. I did all these tests because I went to ridiculous lengths to breed a Reaper (Wraith hybrid pet) to have both blade and trap may-cast talents manifest only to be very disappointed.

My theory on why many people (including myself) find that may-cast frequency is crazy unpredictable is because of the activities our wizard is doing changes. The fighting style and types of spells we are using will effect the may-cast spells and this changes with the quests and the people we are playing with. So...

- If you are playing offensively in a very active 4vs4 battle that has many rounds with lots of spell activity may-casts will happen more often.

- If you are battling easy enemy solo and defeating them quickly in a couple rounds with single big hits, may-casts will happen seldom. Even if you repeat the battle dozens of times.

- If you enter battle late into the 4th sigil and sit on your butt doing nothing (casting no spells and taking no hits) the may-casts will hardly ever happen.

Geographer
Nov 26, 2011
Just your luck, Sorry.
( I think, Sorry not a expert.)

Explorer
Feb 27, 2011
I hear you. My storm serpent has a "May cast storm sheild spell" but it never does. Idk why.