Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Inherited Talents

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 10, 2012
Hi, I'm new to hatching and have a question. When I hatch, is it possible for the hatchling to have talents that are available to the parent pet, but did not manifest, or, are the only talents that will be passed down those that manifest.

ex.: Say I hatch my Sea Dragon (sprightly is possible but did not manifest in this pet after being fully trained), with another Sea Dragon (again here, sprightly is possible but did not manifest in this pet after being fully trained). Despite the fact that sprightly did not manifest in either parent, is it possible that the sprightly talent will manifest in the offspring or in further generations from in-breeding, taken to infinity.

My hope is that despite a particular talent failing to manifest, it is possible that the particular talent will manifest somewhere down the line.

Thanks for the insights ahead of time!

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
Faestalker on Dec 10, 2012 wrote:
Hi, I'm new to hatching and have a question. When I hatch, is it possible for the hatchling to have talents that are available to the parent pet, but did not manifest, or, are the only talents that will be passed down those that manifest.

ex.: Say I hatch my Sea Dragon (sprightly is possible but did not manifest in this pet after being fully trained), with another Sea Dragon (again here, sprightly is possible but did not manifest in this pet after being fully trained). Despite the fact that sprightly did not manifest in either parent, is it possible that the sprightly talent will manifest in the offspring or in further generations from in-breeding, taken to infinity.

My hope is that despite a particular talent failing to manifest, it is possible that the particular talent will manifest somewhere down the line.

Thanks for the insights ahead of time!
Theoretically it is possible, although there is a greater chance of it manifesting in a hatch where at least one 'parent' manifested spritely.

Hannah Lifebringer level 80 Life

Mastermind
Feb 29, 2012
It is possible.
Is spritely desired? That is probably why it is not manifesting.
Just pretend that you don't want spritely to manifest the next time you hatch and you should see it by teen.
pods

Survivor
Nov 10, 2012
Thanks for the replies. I'll see how it goes. I'm mid level right now so experimentation is painfully expensive. At least the training part at this point goes quickly.

I have been hatching with my own pets, and I've never hatched with another player. When two players hatch, does each have to contribute the same amount of gold and does each get an egg (and are the eggs the same?)? I've read up but haven't come across anything that explains the little, perhaps obvious but not self-evident details.

Thanks again.

PS - good one pods.

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
When two players hatch, they both pay the same amount of gold and each gets an egg. The eggs may or may not be the same. For example, if you hatch a fire cat with a ice cat, one wizard may get the fire cat and the other may get the ice cat. Who gets what pet is random.

Hannah Lifebringer level 80 Life