Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Increasing pedigree

AuthorMessage
Defender
Oct 22, 2012
Okay, I have too much time on my hands. Fairly new to this. And completely new to the breeding.I've got a group of questions. Also a few times told I had too many items and too much gold.

So I played around in the hatchery. I bred a sea dragon with a ianthine spectre. Got a 65 pedigree ianthine. Crossed one more time the 65 with the sea dragon got a 72 ianthine. From the first few talents the same as a regular ianthine. But here I am assuming when it levels out will it be higher numbers on things like pain giver? Also along that line crossing the sea dragon with ? to get higher pedigree and numbers in the strength and will. Is it worth the trouble? Does it really translate in to higher spell proof, pain giver and etc?

Next one. Is there any crossing of talents?

Last one. More of a wish list thing. It would be nice to be able to craft battle gear for the pet.

Mastermind
Feb 29, 2012
Couple of things. Your pedigree is the sum of your talents and pet derby talents. The talents are ranked by the dots beside them. In parentheses you have another number which is the sum of your manifested talents.
As for your damage boosts, they are based on your pet's attributes. The calculations are on Central wiki under the talent. As you train your pet and max out the attributes, you will arrive at your maximum boost.
The only way to obtain a bigger boost to pain giver, etc is to hatch with a pet that has a higher attribute than yours. The pets you spoke of (sea dragon and spectre) have fairly high attributes, so you are near the upper limit of your boosts.
Word of caution; if you like the buffing talents, be careful about hatching with a super high pedigree pet. As these pets have more Epic talents, which are usually a card giving talent. Not epic IMHO at all.
Good Luck!
pods

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
A hatched pet inherits 10 of the 20 potential talents from its two parents. Apparently there is a higher probability of inherting 'realized' talents from the parents. First hand evidence suggests this to be true. And you can not inherit two of the same talents.

Every time you hatch its a gamble. So I hang on to my best 'golden' pet, training to increase its attributes and get to ancient and beyond. Meanwhile I hatch new pets knowing that most will be useless. When I score with a desired pet with high max attributes I train to adult. If the talents aren't as good or better than my 'golden' pet I abandon it. Otherwise I continue working on it and hopefully it becomes my new 'golden' pet. Meanwhile I continue raising funds for my next hatching.

Inheriting and realizing desired 'potential' talents and high max attributes is much more important than higher pedigree.

Also - by selective hatching you can convert a good looking off-school (potentially useless) pet into an excellent pet. It takes several generations. Unfortunately the spell cards that come with a pet upon hatching stick with the base pet type. So trying to breed an Ice School pet that comes with a 7-pip card is kinda useless for a Death School wizard. But I did convert a brave hound (myth school, no spell cards) into a really fantastic pet for a death school wizard through selective hatching.

Defender
Oct 22, 2012
Little update. I bred a sea dragon with spell proof, pain giver, and pip o plenty with the 72 ianthine cross breed. It has pierce monger and pain giver (Yep not death). The ianthine I was not sure about using but figured I got the time. If it doesn't work out in to the yard. Just got a sea dragon egg with a 74 pedigree. I'll post back when I see how it turns out. It has not hatched yet.

Mastermind
Feb 29, 2012
dune327 on Dec 14, 2012 wrote:
Little update. I bred a sea dragon with spell proof, pain giver, and pip o plenty with the 72 ianthine cross breed. It has pierce monger and pain giver (Yep not death). The ianthine I was not sure about using but figured I got the time. If it doesn't work out in to the yard. Just got a sea dragon egg with a 74 pedigree. I'll post back when I see how it turns out. It has not hatched yet.
Well you will probably have a few card bearing (epic) talents manifest with a pedigree that high.
I shoot for the mid to high 60's in pedigree with mine. After several generations I usually end up there. But I try to avoid all of the card bearing or may cast talents (piercemonger, piercetrain, disarm, etc).
Much easier to go into a duel with talents that I can count on, which are buffing talents (proof, pain giver, etc).
pods

Defender
Oct 22, 2012
A update. Hatched a 72 sea dragon mix from breeding. It was about 3 generation from the first breeding with the iantine. First talent spell proof, second pain giver. Okay one to work on. Next one turned up was pierce train. Ahh okay, went ahead and went to next one. Pip o plenty. Being a death school I was hoping for that in a Ianthine with the card. But still a really good pet. And a keeper.

Mastermind
Feb 29, 2012
dune327 on Dec 19, 2012 wrote:
A update. Hatched a 72 sea dragon mix from breeding. It was about 3 generation from the first breeding with the iantine. First talent spell proof, second pain giver. Okay one to work on. Next one turned up was pierce train. Ahh okay, went ahead and went to next one. Pip o plenty. Being a death school I was hoping for that in a Ianthine with the card. But still a really good pet. And a keeper.
I have found with Sea Dragons that it is tedious trying to breed out the epic talents. Seems I always ended up with piercemonger, disarm, or piercetrain.
My main wiz being death I hatched with school pets to get death giver, and ended up with my preferred pet, a sea dragon with pain giver, death giver, sharp shot, spritely and spell proof. Now that gear gives me accuracy I am trying to up it to pain giver, death giver, death dealer, spritely and spell proof.
Good luck!
pods