Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

How I am training pets

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jan 30, 2014
170
So I'm pretty sure this is how I am supposed to do it, and I've been getting along easily until I've reached ancient. Since the xp keeps increasing levelmypet keeps going up and I'm gardening for my snacks, its going quite slow so here's what I've been up to:

So I started out hatching with Victoria's pet with my very sad fail pet and trained that. Once at adult, I hatched with the same pet which she put in the kiosk with the one I trained, and then trained the result of the hatch to adult. After that I've been training my pets up to the next level, but then hatching to ensure I get the talents I want.

I think I have completely gotten the pierce talent out of my pool, after having two "safe" pets and then continuing to hatch after every new talent to ensure I get that talent on the next hatch.

I know this is poorly so here's a kind of visual way of saying this. (* = hatched with)

My fail pet * Victoria's pet

Result of that as an adult * Victoria's pet

Result of that as an adult(successful) * Victoria's pet

Result of that as an ancient * Victoria's pet

And so on.
So far I've gotten all the talents I have been searching for. I varies between pets whether I get damage or crit, both of which I am fine with. Right now the one I'm doing has gotten two damage talents and only one crit, whereas another got all crit. All of these talents are ones I want in my pool and hatched with.
So I'm just a little curious if this is efficient of if I should use "safe" hatching (if that's not what this is, its taking quite the toll on my gold at the moment!)

See you in the spiral!

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
2102
ThisGirlIsOnFIRE00... on Mar 27, 2019 wrote:
So I'm pretty sure this is how I am supposed to do it, and I've been getting along easily until I've reached ancient. Since the xp keeps increasing levelmypet keeps going up and I'm gardening for my snacks, its going quite slow so here's what I've been up to:

So I started out hatching with Victoria's pet with my very sad fail pet and trained that. Once at adult, I hatched with the same pet which she put in the kiosk with the one I trained, and then trained the result of the hatch to adult. After that I've been training my pets up to the next level, but then hatching to ensure I get the talents I want.

I think I have completely gotten the pierce talent out of my pool, after having two "safe" pets and then continuing to hatch after every new talent to ensure I get that talent on the next hatch.

I know this is poorly so here's a kind of visual way of saying this. (* = hatched with)

My fail pet * Victoria's pet

Result of that as an adult * Victoria's pet

Result of that as an adult(successful) * Victoria's pet

Result of that as an ancient * Victoria's pet

And so on.
So far I've gotten all the talents I have been searching for. I varies between pets whether I get damage or crit, both of which I am fine with. Right now the one I'm doing has gotten two damage talents and only one crit, whereas another got all crit. All of these talents are ones I want in my pool and hatched with.
So I'm just a little curious if this is efficient of if I should use "safe" hatching (if that's not what this is, its taking quite the toll on my gold at the moment!)

See you in the spiral!
There are 3 basic stages:

1. Raise/max the stats (the numbers next to strength, intellect, agility, will and power)
2. Copy the pool of talents (make sure it matches the pet you are copying, this may have happened while raising stats but may take a few more hatches).
3. Manifest the desired talent combo

Up until stage 3 there is no benefit to taking a pet further than adult. These a 'between' pets, the stepping stones to what you want.

To see if you are at stage 3 check the stats on your latest pet are maxed or high enough that you are happy with them - remember these affect percentage-based/variable talent boosts eg damage, resist, critical etc

If you are happy with the stats, check the pool matches the pet you're copying. The pedigree should be the same, look at the full talent list and check they are identical values (uncommon, common, rare, ultra-rare, epic) in the same order from top to bottom.

Sometimes it is only through manifestation to know for sure but we can know for sure it is not the same if they don't show indentically in the list or if a subsequent hatch changes the appearance of the pool. If the list looks identical, each hatch produces an identical list and no unexpected talents manifest you can be confident the pool is copied...only use gold and snacks on double checking this if you have reason to believe a talent has failed to pass correctly (if yours matches it is almost certainly a copy as you have done a lot of hatches with the copy pet).

OK, so if stats are done and pool is copied we go to step 3.

Manifesting a desired combo:

You are hatching with Sheriff Blue, Ornery Kookaburra.

His full pool is (from top to bottom; manifested in bold):

1. Fire-Giver (uncommon)
2. Fire Striker (Ultra-Rare)
3. Fire Assailant (Epic)
4. Pain-Giver (Ultra-Rare)
5. Spell-Proof (Epic)
6. Spritely (Rare)
7. Fairy Friend (Uncommon)
8. Critical Striker (Epic)
9. Critical Hitter (Ultra-Rare)
10. Fire-Dealer (Ultra-Rare)

From this you can have various good combos, you decide which one/s you'd like to manifest. You may like to check what jewels you have available too. Also remember that if you're going for a single damage talent you want Fire-Dealer, not one of the Givers. Fire-Dealer = 10% damage boost. Pain-Giver and Fire-Giver = 5% damage boost each.

So, the two big questions now are - what combo do you want to manifest? Does Sheriff Blue have that combo manifested?

If Sheriff Blue has manifested the combo you want (trip crit / double damage) then we continue to hatch with him for stage 3. If he does not, I can either add one to the kiosk that has your desired combo or if I do not have that combo manifested, we make it from the pets you have made during this project

Let me know and what your last 2 pets hatched have, then we'll look at getting the combo manifested for you

PS we can meet in game if it's easier to show me the pets and we can discuss it in person. I don't remember which wizards I have you added to so it might be easier to catch me on here unless you see me in game and give me a shout (I'm working on a balance and 2 deaths atm so doubt you have them added).

Defender
Jan 30, 2014
170
I am so sorry, I didn't see this reply until now. I might've before but I think I only skimmed it and none of it made sense to me until I analyzed it and compared with my pet.

Regarding who you have me added on, my name is Alexis Walker level 122, fire. You have me added on Victoria Fireheart and Fiona Frogfinder (the pet I'm working on has been hatching with a pet on Victoria I'm sure though.)

I currently have two ancient kookaburras that I am training/hatching. Their stats are the following:

Centurion Scooter
Fire giver - 4%
Fire Striker - +20
Fire assailant - +25

Old Orio
Fire giver - 5%
Fire striker - +23
Fire dealer - 7%

I just checked in, I can for sure confirm both pools are exactly the same. So to be clear, if I train either of the above pets, I should get the correct combo? Or if it fails I can still get what I need to?

My desired combo is definitely triple-double fire.


I'm just really confused how pet hatching works so forgive my cluelessness. New to all this, never really needed a pet until now. Even though I feel it's a little late for my fire wizard, this is sort of a future reference for my other wizards (specifically storm).

If I'm still doing something wrong (as per usual, I know nothing about hatching), I'd be fine if you need to take a look yourself in game at any time this week (whatever would work for you since you're so so nice and generous to help me with this).

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
2102
ThisGirlIsOnFIRE00... on Apr 6, 2019 wrote:
I am so sorry, I didn't see this reply until now. I might've before but I think I only skimmed it and none of it made sense to me until I analyzed it and compared with my pet.

Regarding who you have me added on, my name is Alexis Walker level 122, fire. You have me added on Victoria Fireheart and Fiona Frogfinder (the pet I'm working on has been hatching with a pet on Victoria I'm sure though.)

I currently have two ancient kookaburras that I am training/hatching. Their stats are the following:

Centurion Scooter
Fire giver - 4%
Fire Striker - +20
Fire assailant - +25

Old Orio
Fire giver - 5%
Fire striker - +23
Fire dealer - 7%

I just checked in, I can for sure confirm both pools are exactly the same. So to be clear, if I train either of the above pets, I should get the correct combo? Or if it fails I can still get what I need to?

My desired combo is definitely triple-double fire.


I'm just really confused how pet hatching works so forgive my cluelessness. New to all this, never really needed a pet until now. Even though I feel it's a little late for my fire wizard, this is sort of a future reference for my other wizards (specifically storm).

If I'm still doing something wrong (as per usual, I know nothing about hatching), I'd be fine if you need to take a look yourself in game at any time this week (whatever would work for you since you're so so nice and generous to help me with this).
It's all good and it sounds like you're making great progress!

Just to clarify, when you say 'triple-double' are you meaning 3 damages + 2 criticals or 3 criticals and 2 damages?

How are your stats looking? (the numbers by strength, intellect, agility, will and power)

Great work copying the pool!

Ok, assuming the stats are the same (the numbers, not the pool) it is wise to keep one with only desired talents manifested to hatch again if the one you're training fails.

On that basis (assuming the stats are high/maxed) I'd train Scooter to epic and see how he does, keeping Orio as my back up for rehatching if Scooter fails.

Orio has dealer manifested which is a talent you will need on the final pet, so he is strong for hatching a baby. We don't want to lose the manifestation of dealer in the babies and this will make it double strong (it's on mine and yours).

If Scooter gets dealer at epic he is superior to Orio...so you can either keep him as your new back-up for rehatch and take Orio to epic, or you can risk it by taking him to mega to see if he is your perfect complete pet. As Orio is identical in stats and pool, plus he has dealer manifested, either route is safe. You also always have access to my pet should you need to rehatch.

The important thing is to keep one pet safe for possible rehatching, while training the other to see what he manifests...until you get a perfect combo manifested

If this is confusing to you give me a shout in game and I'll come and see your pets and have a chat to help you understand what I'm talking about

Alternatively, if you miss me in game or can't catch me there just lmk when you're free to meet up and we can meet in Dworgyn realm hatchery

Defender
Jan 30, 2014
170
Okay so today I did some Mirror Lake and finally took Scooter to Epic, and he ended out with critical striker.

To clarify, I should take Orio to epic instead? I'm looking for triple damage, and was hoping on fire dealer rather than critical. Should I hatch them both when they're at epic to copy the pool so I can re-train to get my desired combo? Because if Orio manifests another damage along with a critical then I have my desired pet. Orio already has dealer which is a pretty good part of the combo that I wanted.

My stats are also all maxed out (Scooter), so dealer is at 6% and all the criticals are at 30+. I haven't maxed out Orio but plan to since I've gotten the critical striker on Scooter.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
2102
ThisGirlIsOnFIRE00... on Apr 15, 2019 wrote:
Okay so today I did some Mirror Lake and finally took Scooter to Epic, and he ended out with critical striker.

To clarify, I should take Orio to epic instead? I'm looking for triple damage, and was hoping on fire dealer rather than critical. Should I hatch them both when they're at epic to copy the pool so I can re-train to get my desired combo? Because if Orio manifests another damage along with a critical then I have my desired pet. Orio already has dealer which is a pretty good part of the combo that I wanted.

My stats are also all maxed out (Scooter), so dealer is at 6% and all the criticals are at 30+. I haven't maxed out Orio but plan to since I've gotten the critical striker on Scooter.
I'm a little confused by some of the things you've said about stats. Remember stats are the numbers next to strength (255), intellect (250), agility (260), will (260) and power (250). We can't change the number by the stat through training, it only changes with hatching.

Filling the stat bars through training will give you 10% dealer if the pet is max stat (the numbers are as above).

I'm not entirely sure what advice to give without seeing the pets properly. It would be much easier to help if I can go into the hatcher with you, see them, explain anything that's been misunderstood or forgotten, then make a plan of what to do next.

You can either give me a shout in game or you can let me know a time on here (include time zone pls) to meet in Dworgyn realm hatchery.

We'll get it sorted and make a good plan to progress your pet further as quickly and efficiently as possible

Defender
Jan 30, 2014
170
My mistake! I told you the wrong information, which is completely on me! I mixed up dealer vs giver. (giver is 6%, dealer is 10%)

Scooter has giver! I mixed it up. He has all his stats to their max (260+, yes, strength, power etc is what I was saying), which makes his giver 6%. That was a complete mess up on my part.

Scooter has the following:
(Scooter has max stats making these the highest numbers they can go)
Fire giver: 6%
Fire striker: +25
Fire assailant: + 32
Critical striker: +31

Orio has the following:
(Orio does not have max stats, however all except strength are going to be soon enough if he's who I should train)
Fire giver: 5%
Fire striker: +25
Fire dealer: 8%

Basically, I just messed up something so I just confused you a little. Sorry about that.

My general question anyhow, was if I should take Orio to epic? He has dealer so isn't he considered "superior" to Scooter if he manifests another critical talent?

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
2102
ThisGirlIsOnFIRE00... on Apr 16, 2019 wrote:
My mistake! I told you the wrong information, which is completely on me! I mixed up dealer vs giver. (giver is 6%, dealer is 10%)

Scooter has giver! I mixed it up. He has all his stats to their max (260+, yes, strength, power etc is what I was saying), which makes his giver 6%. That was a complete mess up on my part.

Scooter has the following:
(Scooter has max stats making these the highest numbers they can go)
Fire giver: 6%
Fire striker: +25
Fire assailant: + 32
Critical striker: +31

Orio has the following:
(Orio does not have max stats, however all except strength are going to be soon enough if he's who I should train)
Fire giver: 5%
Fire striker: +25
Fire dealer: 8%

Basically, I just messed up something so I just confused you a little. Sorry about that.

My general question anyhow, was if I should take Orio to epic? He has dealer so isn't he considered "superior" to Scooter if he manifests another critical talent?
If Orio doesn't have max stat numbers next to the bars no amount of training will make him 'max stat' but you can fill the bars through training to make his talents give the highest percentage he can get. As he is not max stat he might not get 10% dealer, it might show as 9%. Even if it shows as 10% it will be slightly lower than a max stat pet because the percentage shown is rounded up or down, but in battle it gives the exact boost.

Eg: it will show as 10% if it is 9.5% - 10.4% but in battle it will boost by the true percentage.

For hatching, Scooter is superior as he has max stats and the pool. However he has manifested 3 criticals and can never achieve the combo you want. As Sheriff Blue has dealer manifested, if you hatch again you should use Scooter and Sheriff Blue.

However, if Orio has high stats, is already ancient and does have the possibility of the combo you want if you're happy with the stats giving a slightly lower percentage total (if he's high stat it won't make a huge difference) then train him and see if he manifests the right combo.

If Orio gets the wrong talent combo hatch again with Scooter and Sheriff Scout and train their new baby. If Orio gets the right combo it won't matter that his percentage is a tiny bit lower because he will be awesome and finished

To clarify - max stats are not needed for a pet we're using in game. High stats makes a big difference and it's worth getting high stats, but maxing stats to perfection is not necessary and makes very little difference compared to high stats. The reason I make my pets true max stat is so that when I share them the person hatching with me gets the biggest boost they can from the hatch, not because a pet needs max stats to be a good pet.

I think you should train Orio and see what he gets. He might be your completed pet!

If he doesn't get the right combo, hatch Scooter and Sheriff Scout, train the baby to adult or ancient. If the baby gets pain-giver stop training him and make him your hatcher! Pain-giver is the talent we need to see pop and is currently desired but not manifested in either parent.

LMK how Orio does! Cya soon!

Defender
Jan 30, 2014
170
Defender
Jan 30, 2014
170
So I trained up Orio, and he got a critical talent at epic. So, me being me trained him up to mega and he got...

Spritely.

Yeah it's back to the drawing board with this one... Mind putting Sheriff Blue back in the kiosk? Gonna hatch Scooter and him for a new baby and hopefully a better result!

Most likely going to use Orio for the time being until I get a combo.