Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

How do you know how far to train?

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Oct 15, 2010
So after you solve the puzzle of hatching correctly, how do you know when to stop training? Is it when you get one talent you don't want? If this helps, here are the talents I want followed by my current pet.

Spell-Proof
Spritely
Fairy Friend (this is mc fairy right?)
Spell-Defying or Guardian Wall (either is fine both is great)

Prince Shadow Ancient Mammoth
Spell-Proof
Pip o' Plenty
Health Gift

Also if anyone wants to hatch that has some of the talents requested that would be great as well as answering my original question.

Champion
Aug 20, 2010
Pirates in the Sky on Jul 13, 2013 wrote:
So after you solve the puzzle of hatching correctly, how do you know when to stop training? Is it when you get one talent you don't want? If this helps, here are the talents I want followed by my current pet.

Spell-Proof
Spritely
Fairy Friend (this is mc fairy right?)
Spell-Defying or Guardian Wall (either is fine both is great)

Prince Shadow Ancient Mammoth
Spell-Proof
Pip o' Plenty
Health Gift

Also if anyone wants to hatch that has some of the talents requested that would be great as well as answering my original question.
You could either stop training when you get to mega, or if you are like me, you'll be luck to get to Epic. It seems like you are setting the standard a little high, with fairy and spritely, followed by both the resist talents and tower shield. When I got my first pet it was not too good, I kept setting the bar too high. But now my hatched ice nutcracker pet has guardian wall, spell proof and fairy friend.

Delver
Jul 15, 2011
Depends on how many pets you have. When I first started hatching, when I got a talent I didn't want, but thought the pet still had talents I did want, I'd continue training. Now that I've trained a lot of pets, I'm a bit more picky.

First off, I always train to adult. Adult is pretty easy and quick to get to and even if it got some bad talent at teen, it could get one you want at adult. And at adult, you're able to hatch with that pet again and try and transfer the good talent to a new hatch.

Second, If I'm looking for a specific talent, and I hatched this pet for that particular talent and it doesn't manifest by adult, then that pet gets sold to a vendor, unless it is a pet type I didn't have, then i'll store it just for the pet type.

Third, you and only you can decide what is a bad talent or a talent you don't want. Me, I hate power play and I hate may cast balance blade, but others may find those great talents. Or you could be trying to make a healing pet, but instead you hatched with someone who had a weird mix in their pet and you got may cast pierce and may cast tower shield. Those weren't what you wanted, but they might not be so bad to have on a pet either.

Survivor
Jun 08, 2009
You should train until you have the talents you want. If you get unwanted talents then either hatch again for a new pet to try with or decide if you're willing to live with less than a perfect pet since getting a perfect one is very, very hard. Most people want a SPUDF, SPEDF, SPPDF or some similar combination of talents in their pet.

SPUDF=Spritely, Spell-Proof, Unicorn, Spell-Defying, and Fairy Friend
SPEDF=Same as SPUDF except Energizing Battery instead of Unicorn
SPPDF=Same as SPUDF except Pain-Giver instead of Unicorn

Other factors you may want to consider are if the pet type you are using gives a card and what it's stats are.

The more popular pet types will give the user a DragonBlade, Feint, or similar card (this is not a talent, it simply comes automatically from certain pet types such as Tricky Dragon, Carnation Pixie, Deer Knight, etc.)

One thing a lot of people don't understand about pets is that any talent that adds to a player stat such as increasing resistance, health, pip chance, etc. is based on your pet's stats so it's better for the other pet you are hatching with to have high stats.

For example:
Spell-Proof, one of the most popular pet talents, increases all resists by a percentage between 1% to 14% (although getting above 10% requires your pet to use up some talent slots with "selfish" talents that increase the stats of your pet since 250 is the normal maximum for each stat)

With Spell-Proof the % of resist you get is based on the formula: (2*Strength + 2*Agility + Power)/125
So if your pet's Strength, Agility, and Power stats all max out at 200 then the highest you could get the Spell-Proof talent is 8% resist but if you hatch till your pet has the max of 250 on each of those three then you can get up to 10% resist instead.