Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

How do i get a good pet

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 25, 2011
Hey guys I was wondering how I could get a good pet i am stuck with a dragon u get a the shopping district

Defender
Mar 13, 2014
First, you usually have to hatch with someone for a pet specifically good for your school. For example, usually does pretty well with the spark beast, and does well with the Trojan horse, etc. There are some that usually work for all schools, like the enchanted armament. I don't know much about what pets are good for what schools, but I am sure there are online sites that give that information.
After that, you have to level up your pet. I would recommend focusing on strength and agility just because they have higher chances of giving resist which is good, but everyone is different. Some people prefer to balance the 4 categories out, some people might prefer to focus on intelligence or will.
A lot of it turns out to just be luck. Sometimes your pet gets good stats, sometimes it doesn't. If it doesn't, don't get discouraged and try again! Good luck
- Gabrielle Silversword 93

Survivor
Feb 07, 2010
Sunken City's boss Grubb can drop good pets.

Champion
Jan 25, 2015
I would suggest hatching as well but good luck because people now-a-days don't hatch with pets that have "unacceptable'' talents so its kind of difficult starting out with a pet with selfish talents like rugged and spirited so having a good friend to hatch with is always a good start :D

Defender
Dec 31, 2014
Lizziebell03 on Feb 2, 2016 wrote:
First, you usually have to hatch with someone for a pet specifically good for your school. For example, usually does pretty well with the spark beast, and does well with the Trojan horse, etc. There are some that usually work for all schools, like the enchanted armament. I don't know much about what pets are good for what schools, but I am sure there are online sites that give that information.
After that, you have to level up your pet. I would recommend focusing on strength and agility just because they have higher chances of giving resist which is good, but everyone is different. Some people prefer to balance the 4 categories out, some people might prefer to focus on intelligence or will.
A lot of it turns out to just be luck. Sometimes your pet gets good stats, sometimes it doesn't. If it doesn't, don't get discouraged and try again! Good luck
Incorrect, what you're doing is spreading a myth. Training in Strength and Agility does nothing except increases your pet's stats. Talents are predetermined as the pet hatches, and the pet would always get the same talents no matter what you train it in. Also, this post is only helpful when you are talking about first generation pets, which usually only give boosts to its school. Hatched pets may give boosts to other schools as well.

Defender
Mar 13, 2014
George Washington on Feb 2, 2016 wrote:
Incorrect, what you're doing is spreading a myth. Training in Strength and Agility does nothing except increases your pet's stats. Talents are predetermined as the pet hatches, and the pet would always get the same talents no matter what you train it in. Also, this post is only helpful when you are talking about first generation pets, which usually only give boosts to its school. Hatched pets may give boosts to other schools as well.
That would make sense , and your right about the talents being predetermined when the pet hatches, but there is one thing I am confused about. In wizard101, when you look at your pet's stats in your book, under strength and agility it says that the strength and agility affect resistance. If the talents are already established, then why does it say strength and agility can affect and change that? That was not meant to be sarcastic or mean or anything, I know you're right, but I am just confused

Survivor
Feb 19, 2013
Lizziebell03 on Feb 3, 2016 wrote:
That would make sense , and your right about the talents being predetermined when the pet hatches, but there is one thing I am confused about. In wizard101, when you look at your pet's stats in your book, under strength and agility it says that the strength and agility affect resistance. If the talents are already established, then why does it say strength and agility can affect and change that? That was not meant to be sarcastic or mean or anything, I know you're right, but I am just confused
When your pet gives you a resist talent, it's strength, agility, and power determines how much it will give you. 250 of each will give you 10 resist for spell proof and 5 for spell defy for example.

Defender
Mar 13, 2014
Oh, ok, thanks, that was definitely cleared up!
- Gabrielle Silversword

Survivor
Mar 09, 2013
if you want a pet other than the dragon,simply go to another realm such as:krokotopia,marlybone,wysteria or mooshoo.thats IF you can acess those places

-lvl 40 balance