Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

How did this happen?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 15, 2010
I have been hatching pets for years. A+B=A or B, unless you bred two school pets that can make a hybrid pet. I know there are cool things like marshmallow bunny hatches, but for the run of the mill average pet hatch you get one of the parents out of it. (I am not asking for everyone to tell me every possible outcome of every combination.)

So when, and more importantly why, did this change? I have a rockin' roller (death) that I hatched out ages ago with a friend who had one. I have been using him a lot because he is a great healer and I like the fun way he rolls around. I have always wanted a stained glass roller (storm) because I think they are neat to look at. I found a stained glass roller in the kiosk and crossed the two rollers.

What to my wondering eyes did appeared? An armordillo (balance).

Help desk said that this change was made so people can obtain all the school pets of a type? Hasn't that always been the case? Just go find one to hatch with and keep at it until you get one (again, exceptions like storm beetle). How can anyone be sure of a cross between two pets if the result isn't one of them (unless as mentioned before we know they have the ability to make a hybrid pet) That kind of messes up the whole need to hatch with a pet you want because you now have a 1 in 7 chance to get the pet you want instead of 1 in 2?

What if I had crossed my death roller with a utility dragon? Do I now have a 1 in 14 chance of getting what I want? I honestly don't even know if rollers come in all 7 schools, but I think you get the idea. Does this new weird hatching thing only work if I hatch with two similar pets? A utility dragon and fragmented dragon could make any number of dragons upon hatching?

I really liked the kiosk when it came out, it was a wonderful new way to get access to great pets and stats. I can't say enough about the pro's of having it. This new change though, wow. Not liking it much.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
MadaHari007 on Nov 20, 2018 wrote:
I have been hatching pets for years. A+B=A or B, unless you bred two school pets that can make a hybrid pet. I know there are cool things like marshmallow bunny hatches, but for the run of the mill average pet hatch you get one of the parents out of it. (I am not asking for everyone to tell me every possible outcome of every combination.)

So when, and more importantly why, did this change? I have a rockin' roller (death) that I hatched out ages ago with a friend who had one. I have been using him a lot because he is a great healer and I like the fun way he rolls around. I have always wanted a stained glass roller (storm) because I think they are neat to look at. I found a stained glass roller in the kiosk and crossed the two rollers.

Help desk said that this change was made so people can obtain all the school pets of a type? Hasn't that always been the case? Just go find one to hatch with and keep at it until you get one (again, exceptions like storm beetle). How can anyone be sure of a cross between two pets if the result isn't one of them (unless as mentioned before we know they have the ability to make a hybrid pet) That kind of messes up the whole need to hatch with a pet you want because you now have a 1 in 7 chance to get the pet you want instead of 1 in 2?

What if I had crossed my death roller with a utility dragon? Do I now have a 1 in 14 chance of getting what I want? I honestly don't even know if rollers come in all 7 schools, but I think you get the idea. Does this new weird hatching thing only work if I hatch with two similar pets? A utility dragon and fragmented dragon could make any number of dragons upon hatching?

I really liked the kiosk when it came out, it was a wonderful new way to get access to great pets and stats. I can't say enough about the pro's of having it. This new change though, wow. Not liking it much.
There have always been possible hybrids and they are exceptionally rare. Even with a known combo like this one there is much higher chance of getting one of the parent body-types than the hybrid. If you still want the stained-glass roller just hatch again. The odds on getting it are exactly the same via the kiosk as they are via the sigil.

Survivor
Apr 22, 2012
MadaHari007 on Nov 20, 2018 wrote:

I am definitely with you on this. Having just contacted KI about having gotten a hybrid (different school) from the pet I was hatching with and having to write that hatch off - along with going elsewhere for the talents I want as well as doing lots of research on whatever I'm hatching with, before I hatch... I mean, seriously?.

To me, this points out the issue of having no clue what someone has hatched with to get the pet you are planning on hatching with. I mean where does that cycle end? I hatch with Wizard 1 who hatched with another wizard who hatched with another wizard who hatched with... Do I get a hybrid from the tenth wizard before this last one because he had a hybrid? I don't know, I'm asking. Obviously, there are plenty of drawbacks to not having that information and I'm not really crazy about all of it. If I wanted a storm pet (in my case) - a hybrid - from my fire pet hatches, well, I would have hatched with that. Like you said, A + B = A or B.

Getting talents that are not evident, is one thing - that is just part of hatching. Getting pets - hybrids, different schools, etc - simply does not work for me. Sorry, just doesn't, and I don't think it ever will. If I wanted to chase a badge for getting all the different pets available, yes - but I'm not. And as much as I like the hatching kiosk and all the opportunities and information it provides, going back to just finding someone else who has a pet with the talents I am wanting definitely has its advantages.

My pet is an essential piece of gear and of each set-up I want for my wizard. I am chasing talents that are going to enhance that set-up, no matter what the pet looks like. I do not happen to think though that I will be getting my fire school talents from a storm school pet - not the ones I want for my wizard.

I personally really cannot appreciate this change. And I cannot see the reason for it. Maybe someone else can provide some insight?

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
ChChi101 on Dec 19, 2018 wrote:
I am definitely with you on this. Having just contacted KI about having gotten a hybrid (different school) from the pet I was hatching with and having to write that hatch off - along with going elsewhere for the talents I want as well as doing lots of research on whatever I'm hatching with, before I hatch... I mean, seriously?.

To me, this points out the issue of having no clue what someone has hatched with to get the pet you are planning on hatching with. I mean where does that cycle end? I hatch with Wizard 1 who hatched with another wizard who hatched with another wizard who hatched with... Do I get a hybrid from the tenth wizard before this last one because he had a hybrid? I don't know, I'm asking. Obviously, there are plenty of drawbacks to not having that information and I'm not really crazy about all of it. If I wanted a storm pet (in my case) - a hybrid - from my fire pet hatches, well, I would have hatched with that. Like you said, A + B = A or B.

Getting talents that are not evident, is one thing - that is just part of hatching. Getting pets - hybrids, different schools, etc - simply does not work for me. Sorry, just doesn't, and I don't think it ever will. If I wanted to chase a badge for getting all the different pets available, yes - but I'm not. And as much as I like the hatching kiosk and all the opportunities and information it provides, going back to just finding someone else who has a pet with the talents I am wanting definitely has its advantages.

My pet is an essential piece of gear and of each set-up I want for my wizard. I am chasing talents that are going to enhance that set-up, no matter what the pet looks like. I do not happen to think though that I will be getting my fire school talents from a storm school pet - not the ones I want for my wizard.

I personally really cannot appreciate this change. And I cannot see the reason for it. Maybe someone else can provide some insight?
It sounds like you've misunderstood a little

There hasn't been a change, hybrids are part of the hatching process. It's a rare occurance and usually seen as fun or desirable...many people try to get a hybrid

Previous hatches don't affect whether a hybrid is possible. Most pet combos can never result in a hybrid. They are only possible when the right combo of body types are hatched together...or 'wrong combo' if you're trying to avoid them!

Here is a link to the known hybrids. Many people use this to find out how to make a hybrid but it can also be used to help avoid them too I said 'the known hybrids' because there are some possible hybrids that are yet to be discovered...the chance of discovering a new hybrid is very unlikely...even if it is a dream of mine!

When you get a hybrid the stats and talents are affected in the same way as it would be from the parent pets. They don't magically get different talents thrown in, it's purely the body type and cards related to it that is different. So, if I am hatching A+B and get C, I could still train C to adult and hatch it again with A or B to continue working on the stats and talents. I will have the chance of getting the body from C or the parent pet I hatch with (be in A or B).

I'm not sure how clear that was so I'll use an example.

Pet A = Stormzilla
Pet B = Ice Colossus

Possible body types = Stormzilla (A); Ice Colossus (B); Frostzilla (C)

If I'm wanting to make a cool ice pet* and the stormzilla is just a pet to use to start me off then getting the Frostzilla won't damage the stat and pool progress any worse than if I got a stormzilla back. I can take the Frostzilla to adult and hatch with the Ice Colossus again. The possible body types become:

Pet A = Frostzilla
Pet B = Ice Colossus

Possible body types = Frostzilla (A); Ice Colossus (B)

The hybrid won't revert to a stormzilla and the only reason Ice Colossus remains possible is because it is pet B.

I hope this helps

*Pun intended

Survivor
Apr 22, 2012
Let me apologize for still not being able to grasp this - I have a really difficult time thinking sometimes and I guess this is one of them. I will ask a question, maybe this will be easier...

I just hatched a "Utility-Corns" from a Dutiful Bloodbat - original pet from pack and this was its very first hatch. Are there any hybrids (or life school pets, etc.) that may result from successive hatchings (in working towards perfect stats)?

It does not matter to me, in this instance, which pet I get as long as I get the talents I want. I am asking about a possibility of a hybrid(or whatever) because of what happened with my fire pet hatch. Could I get a hybrid - just because the possibility exists OR because the possibility exists because of a change in Wizard101's programming OR because someone used a hybrid somewhere along the line?

Survivor
Apr 22, 2012
Hi Victoria - I do appreciate the information you provided here. It definitely helps clarify a lot. And I understand (basically) about creating a hybrid, which was why I had a problem with the pet I received from my hatch.

This is what happened: I hatched an Intrepid Seal Pup (fire) with an Intrepid Seal Pup (fire) and I got a Playful Seal Pup (storm).... uh, so you see why I'm having a problem understanding this?

All of the pets I had hatched (prior to this hatch) were fire - nothing else. And I understand a hybrid to be a combination of two different schools, created to combine the talents or to get a really cool pet. I didn't do that and in this case, was not interested in it. And I wasn't really happy of the "its in the realm of possibilities" answer that I received when I contacted KI. and