Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Hatching Pets

AuthorMessage
Administrator
When you get a pet it will be an egg. You will need to wait for it to hatch before you can equip it. You can see how long you have to wait for a pet to hatch by moving your mouse over its name in your backpack.

After your pet egg hatches it will be a Baby pet. It can gain experience to increase its rank to Teen, Adult, Ancient and Epic.

Your pet gains experience from playing pet training games in the Pet Pavilion. The Pet Pavilion can be found through a tunnel from the Wizard City Commons, close to Prospector Zeke.

You can play the four pet training games by using the minigame sigils around the Pet Pavilion: Pet Cannon Game, Pet Maze Game, Pet Drop Game, and Pet Dance Game.

You need Energy to play pet training games. The Energy globe is next to your Health and Mana globes. You can also see your Energy by pressing C to look at your character in the Spellbook.

For more information please see the Update Notes:
<a href="https://www.wizard101.com/game/community/patchnotes" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">https://www.wizard101.com/game/community/patchnotes</a>

{o,o}
  |)_)
 -?-?-
Geographer
Feb 14, 2009
there is an error with it, it keeps saying your partner left and making me leave :(

Delver
Mar 19, 2009
Delver
Mar 19, 2009
Survivor
Jan 10, 2010
i cant even find the place to be able to get my pet

Gamma wrote:
When you get a pet it will be an egg. You will need to wait for it to hatch before you can equip it. You can see how long you have to wait for a pet to hatch by moving your mouse over its name in your backpack.

After your pet egg hatches it will be a Baby pet. It can gain experience to increase its rank to Teen, Adult, Ancient and Epic.

Your pet gains experience from playing pet training games in the Pet Pavilion. The Pet Pavilion can be found through a tunnel from the Wizard City Commons, close to Prospector Zeke.

You can play the four pet training games by using the minigame sigils around the Pet Pavilion: Pet Cannon Game, Pet Maze Game, Pet Drop Game, and Pet Dance Game.

You need Energy to play pet training games. The Energy globe is next to your Health and Mana globes. You can also see your Energy by pressing C to look at your character in the Spellbook.

For more information please see the Update Notes:
https://www.wizard101.com/game/community/patchnotes

Survivor
Apr 11, 2009
not sure yet, but the few pets I have tried to combine always end up costing 70,000-90,000 gold. I understand that I am using higher end pets, and crown pets right now, but I am wondering how the cost structure is really set up, I am hoping the lower pets won't cost as much, but with the timer set so long on test it is hard to figure out.

Survivor
Dec 22, 2009
The hatchery doesn't even let me attempt to create a pet! Are there special requirements in order to be able to create a pet? Also, when my wizard husband tries it tells him that your partner left and kicks him out.
Lots of bugs in this Test Realm. Games don't respond quick enough, but the whole idea of the Pet Area is terrific. Hopefully it will get finely tuned before releasing to everyone.

Survivor
Sep 26, 2008
this part is flawed.. the hatching is a great idea, but the pet should change! i bred a wraith with a helephant and from the commercials and ads i saw, i expected to end up with some cool combo pet( like a death oni or fire wraith). all i got was a weak wraith! i mean.. yea new models would take time but thats the impression me and a bunch of other people thought would happen. i am pretty disappointed with this. besides, most people playing are only like pets for the looks. i personally dont care about stats. and not to mention the pet xp is very difficult. unless someone has 3 days of nonstop playing on hand and a million crowns, this is a impossible feat of acheiving epic status in minimal time. Most people that collect pets, like me and my friends, would like to have all our pets be at least adult status, but how its set up atm will make it impossible. please make some food or some... way of getting more xp.Also battling mobs could give your pet xp.that would help ATON! if you cant do that then plz make energy potions purchasable with gold or less expensive. and faster energy regeneration would be a good thing too. not to mention maybe energy restoring food.

Explorer
Mar 01, 2009
As far as leveling pets, I had the same idea. After our wizards fight the Mobs they get, what, 20 exp points. The pets could get maybe 1/2 of one percent (that's 0.05 multiplier). Then something like 1/8 of one percent for exp gained from quests (0.0125 multiplier). Heck, something like this may already be factored in the test realm?? I have not fought any mobs yet in the test realm...but I will

Survivor
Dec 20, 2008
Administrator
If you start with a Stray Piggle as one of the two pets you're mixing, you have a very high chance of getting another Stray Piggle.

If you use a common pet and a rare pet, the chances of getting the common pet are much higher than the rare.

{o,o}
  |)_)
 -?-?-
Survivor
Oct 31, 2009
I am as well disappointed with the hatching thing, tried it twice with no good results. Crossed a Satyr with Helephant and hopped for something cool like helephant with satyr card. Well i did get a helephant! But is was fire school only! Just another copy of the helephant. So I am out 80k with not pet to use. BTW sold the pet (as it can not be equipped for 400). If it does not change i am not sure i will try again.
Second try mixed a dragon (with blade) with a firezilla (with card) for a grand total of 90k. Well i ended up with another dragon same stats. So what is the point of hatching? So for is more like cloning and is much more expensive that it needs. Not to mention if i wanted another dragon for $10 i could have bought it.

Survivor
Feb 21, 2009
I am HIGHLY disappointed with the pet combinations. I mixed An ancient sytar with an ancient wraith, and I got a baby sytar! My Death Grand is unable to use it. My Life Grand is able to use it because it is for life school only. I had to waste 80,000 gold on a pet that is NOT available for both characters to use. I personally think that this is all a waste of time and money. Overall, this is PATHETIC.

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
As has been proven, KI does listen to these boards....I also believe a slight tweek is needed, such as those that are school specific becoming specific to the school of the player that hatched the egg....so your death hatches a satyr, it becomes death school, etc. Yes, it would make some strange combinations....but strange combos are just part of what makes this game fun to play. Imagine a wraith pet who heals, or a satyr who damages, etc....

Explorer
Mar 01, 2009
"Imagine a wraith pet who heals, or a satyr who damages, etc...."

Thinking along the same lines...mixing of second generation pets and hatching a flying, two-headed Satyr.

Survivor
Feb 21, 2009
Another reason I am complaining is that I am UNABLE to defeat a boss from a new quest due to one simple bug. I have to defeat Wildroot in Grizzlehiem-Savarstaad Pass. I went onto the sigils and pressed x. The countdown started, and when it ended NOTHING happened. I am also unable to hatch a new pet in the Hatchery. Every time I try, a message that says "your partner has left" appears. When I look at my other character, I see that someone else entered after I did.
What REALLY makes me upset is that I have to either wait for KI to fix the bugs, or just not test it at all. Since I have a few Grandmasters, I get bored playing Wizard101 very quickly, and I would like to spend my HARD EARNED GOLD on something fun and worth the money.

Explorer
Apr 12, 2010
Considering the manner in which the cost of pet hatching has changed on me, literally overnight, i have a thought as to how the pet cost is calculated. if you could give me a hot or cold on the theory.

If Hatching cost were a sort of Dynamic world mechanic, then as hatching is done more often by ANYONE across the whole world, the cost of each hatching goes up. As we were all given 100000 crowns initially, and another 100000 today, alot of people have the money to pay these astronomical costs. Once it's applied to live realm, costs will be more manageable, considering crowns require real money to own, and people will, from their experiences on test realm, put aside their willingness to turn hard earned game gold, or real money purchased crown bought gold, into expensive hatchings.

As player population uses the hatchery less often due to not being willing or able to pay the additional cost, usage lessened drops the price.

This is just a theory i've been considering and with the way price seems to be jumping freely of it's own will, it sounds reasonable.

Survivor
Jan 30, 2010
i got a stray piggle egg randomly . i do not understand? i tried the hatchery, but it did not work! what is wrong with the hatchery? is it broken or something?

Administrator
You may want to log into the Test Realm with another character, young Wizard, for it seems you didn't read the text when you completed Merle and Milo's quest, nor the Update Notes you were instructed to read before entering the Test Realm.
https://www.wizard101.com/game/community/patchnotes

You were GIVEN a stray piggle upon completion of the Merle and Milo quest.
Your pets must be of Adult age to use the Hatchery.

community@wizard101.com
Survivor
Jul 19, 2009
you can hatch pets like hydra and cyclops you might get hydra or cyclops it's a 50 50 chance you will get one or the other :D

Survivor
May 22, 2009
I got a egg on test realm.It hatched into a flying pig.(forgot what they are called) XD :D

Survivor
Mar 02, 2009
Survivor
May 03, 2009
look i have tried to hatch a storm hydra by mixing a hydra with a stormzilla, but got the same hydra pet too times in a row! i dont think i can trust the hatchery no more. besides way to much money and it takes so long to get the money back. IT IS FRUSTRATING! please try to make it a better chance to hatch a good pet, and please less money

Mastermind
May 31, 2009
I am on my fourth attempt to get a different looking pet, I am mixing Stormzilla and Myth Dog. I Intend to try this 10 times to breed for a different type pet, surely within 10 trys you should see a difference. If not, I guess I mark the pet Hatch thing as a No Go, and quit wasting my gold and time on it. For those that it worked for I am happy for you, but to the Vast Majority that is still waiting for that Fantastic pet and keep trying, I recommend limiting the amount of times you will try, when you reach the limit then move on. Maybe in time the game will fix things where it will be better. When you add up all the gold it took for my last four trys it comes to a hefty sum. So I wont be doing this very long especially if it isnt making any difference in the pet i get.
I wish the game would go back to its state about a year or more ago. When you could fill a jar of mana for 100 in gold. and many treasure cards could be bought in the Library. But for some reason I guess they say they are better now, but i only see more unhappy players. Still i play a game i love, but not its additions.

Survivor
Jul 28, 2010
russell1 wrote:
way to much money for hatching

i agree it is waaaayy to much money for something that you might already have ..... KI you guys should really think about lowering those prices :?