Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

getting the skills I want on a pet

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 28, 2010
I have been reading, and reading and reading and I am tired.

please, please, a simple guide I can follow that will help me create a pet with the skills I want. I do understand that it won't be cheap or easy. But I want a simple process that doesn't involve me reading a textbook and understanding statistics and probabilities and complex tracking before putting it into action.

questions I'd like answered.

Do I need to train every pet to epic, in order to create a pet with the skills I want?

if both parents have that skill unlocked does that mean the child will have that skill? Does that mean that the same skill will unlock for the child

do skills that aren't unlocked get passed to a child? does unlocking the skill make it more likely to be passed on?

does anything effect which skills get unlocked as you train your pet.

if a grandparent had the skill, but it wasnt passed to the the parent, is there a chance that the child will get the skill?

Armiger
May 10, 2010
MelodyShade wrote:

please, please, a simple guide I can follow that will help me create a pet with the skills I want. I do understand that it won't be cheap or easy. But I want a simple process that doesn't involve me reading a textbook and understanding statistics and probabilities and complex tracking before putting it into action.

Do I need to train every pet to epic, in order to create a pet with the skills I want?

Yes and No, you wont know all the talents that pet has until it reaches Epic, however, manifested talents have a higher chance of passing.

if both parents have that skill unlocked does that mean the child will have that skill?

No, just because both parents have a talent manifested, does not mean the child will get that talent. It might even be passed, but sometimes, it does not get manifested, however, it does have a much higher chance to be.
Does that mean that the same skill will unlock for the child

Manifested talents on both parents have a much higher chance to pass and be manifested on the child, but it is not gauranteed.

do skills that aren't unlocked get passed to a child?

Yes, generally, when hatching, 5 talents from each pet are taken, this is not always the case, but generally, and it is not always the 4 that are manifested either.

does unlocking the skill make it more likely to be passed on?
Yes, a pet with a manifested talent does have a higher chance to pass on that talent than a non manifested talent.

No, once your egg hatches, the talents that will be manifested are set, nothing can change what talents that pet will get. No matter what games you play or what you feed your pet, it will get the talents that are set when your egg hatches.

if a grandparent had the skill, but it wasnt passed to the the parent, is there a chance that the child will get the skill?

This is generally not the rule. If you lose all uncommon talents for example and you hatch with another pet that does not have any uncommon talents, you should not be able to get a pet with an uncommon talent. It takes the possible talents of the pets present and combines them for a new pet.

Hope this helps!

Survivor
Nov 03, 2011
darthjt wrote:
MelodyShade wrote:

Yes and No, you wont know all the talents that pet has until it reaches Epic, however, manifested talents have a higher chance of passing.

if both parents have that skill unlocked does that mean the child will have that skill?

No, just because both parents have a talent manifested, does not mean the child will get that talent. It might even be passed, but sometimes, it does not get manifested, however, it does have a much higher chance to be.
Does that mean that the same skill will unlock for the child

Manifested talents on both parents have a much higher chance to pass and be manifested on the child, but it is not gauranteed.

do skills that aren't unlocked get passed to a child?

Yes, generally, when hatching, 5 talents from each pet are taken, this is not always the case, but generally, and it is not always the 4 that are manifested either.

does unlocking the skill make it more likely to be passed on?
Yes, a pet with a manifested talent does have a higher chance to pass on that talent than a non manifested talent.

No, once your egg hatches, the talents that will be manifested are set, nothing can change what talents that pet will get. No matter what games you play or what you feed your pet, it will get the talents that are set when your egg hatches.

This is generally not the rule. If you lose all uncommon talents for example and you hatch with another pet that does not have any uncommon talents, you should not be able to get a pet with an uncommon talent. It takes the possible talents of the pets present and combines them for a new pet.

Hope this helps!

all of this is the best and easiest guild ive ever read ( which has also been alot )

Survivor
Jan 28, 2010
Armiger
May 10, 2010
MelodyShade wrote:
Thank you darthjt! :D Thank you, thank you, Thank you!

You are quite welcome, but, what did I do?

Survivor
Jan 28, 2010

you answered my questions, simply and clearly. And knowing those answers has helped me decide about my hatching strategies :)

Survivor
Mar 19, 2010
I have been having the same problems on a couple of my wizards. I have spent so much money on crowns for mega snacks it isnt even funny anymore. KI should have a way for ancient pet owners to see what the epic talent would be before committing to all that money . I dont mind so much getting a pet to ancient, but when I think it finally is a good pet, it gets mana gift, health gift, or some other school gift I can't even use at epic. That is such a waste. Please KI produce a way for people that have taken the time to level a pet to ancient at least be able to have an epic talent they need and want.

Thanks for your consideration.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
cbrower321 wrote:
I have been having the same problems on a couple of my wizards. I have spent so much money on crowns for mega snacks it isnt even funny anymore. KI should have a way for ancient pet owners to see what the epic talent would be before committing to all that money . I dont mind so much getting a pet to ancient, but when I think it finally is a good pet, it gets mana gift, health gift, or some other school gift I can't even use at epic. That is such a waste. Please KI produce a way for people that have taken the time to level a pet to ancient at least be able to have an epic talent they need and want.

And once again, I am going to be the salesman for KI, wish I could get a commission on this.

For those of you that spend way too many crowns on Mega Snack packs, let me introduce you to the Evil Magma Peas. They are the best plant in the game. Yes, they do cost crowns, but consider it a lifetime investment. You get 37 of these like I have in a patch and you will always have plenty of rank 9 mega snacks for all your pet's needs.

Survivor
Jan 28, 2010
For leveling pets more quickly, I highly recommend
https://www.wizard101.com/onlinegames/grubguardian

Rewards are higher and with megasnacks it really doesn't take that long to level to epic, if you are patient, you don't even need the megasnacks. If you don't want to pay money for the megasnacks, pixie sticks can be farmed at mirror lake

cbrower321 wrote:

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
Your pets can get non-manifested parent talents cause I hatch with epic pets and I sometimes get talents that are on the parents manifested on the offspring.