Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Confused on something (Possible bug?)

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 14, 2011
Hey all

I had a shock demon (gamestop card 20$)
And my wife had a fierce hound (gamestop 39$ card)

Funny thing is... I'm death, and she's storm >_>

So we did a bit of breeding~~

Her pet at the time had: Spritely, Feinting Spell and Mana Gift
My pet at the time had: Storm resist and Tireless (+pet stats)

We bred them together, and i .. got the shaft? lol

So far my fierce hound is ancient and sporting:
Feinting spell (this, i do love)
Tireless (ugh, wasn't happy to see that a 2nd time)
Death Trap

The third one (Death Trap) is the one i feel is bugged. I have had it on my pet and used it for multiple days now. I have NEVER ONCE seen my pet actually cast a death trap at all. My wife still uses her fierce hound, so i see how consistently it casts sprites (granted the cast chance may not be the same for death trap) But....something feels wrong. Going on to my 3rd day, hundreds and hundreds of fights....and not 1 death trap has been cast?

Is this a bug, or is there something I'm missing?

Delver
Aug 10, 2010
Nothing wrong, it just a "may cast". I have a fierce hound that may cast death traps and I don't think it ever did, or didn't do it very often until I put it on my death character. Lately, it does it pretty often, about as much as it casts a sptite, and it seems like if I cast poison, the dog will put a trap in there to boost it at least once.
It seems to me that it does it more often on bosses than on street monsters and the bigger the boss, the more likely.

My lifebat has never casted a lifetrap even though it's on a life character, then again, lifebat is kind of a silly pet, I don't equip it very often and I'm only in Krok.

I have a nightmare with pierce that kicks into high gear sometimes and knocks down tower shields as fast as they come up.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
For some reason, it takes a while for your pet to finally cast it's may cast talent. No idea why this is, but usually, once it does, it does it more frequently.

All may cast talents also have different triggers that activate it.

My suggestion, for the may cast death trap, is to get a death wand, and use it as often as you can. You will eventually get your pet to cast it's death trap and then it should be much easier from then on.

Champion
Feb 14, 2010
Well, idk how much this helps but I had a spider that would cast an Ice Trap but it seemed to only happen after I attacked an enemy first; then the spider would throw the trap on him. I even started using my wand on the first turn and afterwards he seemed to use the trap much more often.

My storm had a Strom Caat with Storm shield and it behaved in a simular manner. The cat hardly ever used the shield until after I was attacked with a storm spell. I know right? I get shielded AFTER the attack.

Nothing scientific about my opinion on this, it's just from my own observations.

Survivor
May 14, 2011
Hmm, lots of interesting stuff in here

Thank you all for the replys :D

I didn't realize there were "triggers" to the spells since spritely just goes bonkers with casting, and to be fair, if the trigger is indeed "get hit with damage then cast trap", i generally speaking, 1 hit kill everything (including bosses)

I'm a lvl 31 necromancer and my current high hit is 5300dmg(with only my efforts, no outside influence).... and that was helping my lvl 40ish wife in mooshu...stuff at my content level doesnt even stand a chance against that

Thank you all for the great answers :-)