Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

breaking in your pet

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Dec 18, 2009
When your pet first gets an mc talent, do you have to sort of go out and 'break it in' so it will begin casting it more frequently, or does it just start right away? I just got mc fairy on my smith and i'm going into my first pvp match with this ability...just wondering.
Seth Legend
Jesse Thunderstrider

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
sethlegendperson on Jan 1, 2014 wrote:
When your pet first gets an mc talent, do you have to sort of go out and 'break it in' so it will begin casting it more frequently, or does it just start right away? I just got mc fairy on my smith and i'm going into my first pvp match with this ability...just wondering.
Seth Legend
Jesse Thunderstrider
All may cast talents cast randomly, although some believe that if you do certain things they will cast more. Sometimes it seems that not having shields up is a trigger, and then you have 4 shields up and it casts. That's my experience anyway. Just keep training and feeding it snacks it likes.

Survivor
Jul 21, 2009
It should start right away no matter what level it is. My life minotaur casted fairy very frequently when i got it at adult.

Survivor
Jul 19, 2009
It should just start right away. Some pets cast their may cast talents more in a duel than others, so don't expect it to cast it a lot. I have a baby sea dragon, and it always casts sprites, but some of my others pets cast theirs about once in every three battles. Always look for the ranking of the pet, not how cool it looks. Good luck!

Survivor
Apr 21, 2011
With my pet, a cross between a Giraffe and Judgement, (I had MC spritely) I did have to break it in. It was a while (at least two days) before my pet actually did anything.

Also, after you use your pet for a while you tend to notice under which it does indeed cast.

After using my pet for weeks, I realize it never casts after anything but an attack on myself, and it likes to cast when attacked either by a life spell, or when the same attack spell is repeated.

The more you know your pet(s), the more you can predict their casting behavior. Some pets have a really low casting rate, and some, (like mine) depend on the spells cast in the duels).

Before you do any major PVP, you should probably get to know your pet better.

Kelsey Sunpetal LVL 75

Survivor
Dec 11, 2011
Usually it will just start casting it right away but not as frequent. There is no "breaking it in" unless you refer to training and leveling your pet up as "breaking it in". I now have a mega pet that has may cast "fairy" spell and sometimes he just decides he wants to spam fairy. Sometimes he just likes to veg out and relax (which gets extremely annoying). So, overall they have times when they use it, they have times when they don't.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
There's no such thing as breaking in your pet. All may cast spells have their triggers and different chances of triggering. It's all luck. The more actions occuring in a round, the more chances it will cast. This is why you see a LOT of fairy, unicorn and spritely spam when doing a dungeon with 4 players with healing pets. Every triggered pet can trigger another, or itself. It has nothing to do with anything YOU can control. Pets cast by pure chance after a trigger action is done. For healing, triggers are any spell cast by anyone. Other MC like traps or blades require an attack, others like pierce can be placing a trap or the defender casting a shield.