Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Going to have to rethiink my membership.

AuthorMessage
Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
2548
Crit/block decay is only one stat. Just because one stat gets weaker doesn't mean our wizards get weaker in total. For example, the new spells alone allow the average wizard to hit over a thousand for just four pips! Not to mention the immunity wizards out there.

Additionally, crit/block decay is precisely the example I was talking about. The decay is limiting our Wizards that are growing extremely powerful (i.e. harder mobs are the not only tool KI is implementing).

However, let me rephrase the intent of my original post. The OP was complaining that they were quitting membership over a "hard world". I'm just pointing out this argument has popped up on every expansion over the last six years. After six years, there should be no surprise on how the difficulty raises with each expansion (bosses and mobs) and by the time the next world releases after it...very few are still complaining about the difficulty.

We either find the will to win (better drops, new strategies, better teammates); or KI lowers the difficulty (at the appropriate time like I previously indicated); or some players figure out that Wizard101 is not their type of casual game....which is usually around Celestia....not Mirage.

Mirage is the current end game content. It should be "difficult" for the "average" Wizard101 player, just like Legion should be "difficult" for the "average" WoW player and every other MMO format out there. If you've made it to Mirage...you are no longer an "average" player.

Defender
Nov 05, 2010
165
This Is turning into the new "perhaps tone down the mobs?" Post

Mastermind
May 12, 2009
378
jordan night blood on Jan 1, 2017 wrote:
This Is turning into the new "perhaps tone down the mobs?" Post
They both covered the same issue with the starting post. The other thread was just more popular.

Best of luck!
S.S.

Defender
Nov 05, 2010
165
Shannon Skybreaker on Jan 1, 2017 wrote:
They both covered the same issue with the starting post. The other thread was just more popular.

Best of luck!
S.S.
That's exactly what I meant

Survivor
Jan 17, 2016
6
I think DragonLady1818 and Dr Von are spot on. I literally cannot fight a mob without dying. I don't always have time to farm for the best gear or breed the best pets. I'm still at the beginning of Mirage and have revised my deck several times now in order to actually get through a quest without dying. As others have stated, no one is saying that the game should be a breeze. It should make it fair and enjoyable for different types of players. One thing I really enjoy about W101 is that I like seeing everyone's fighting style. I like to think that you can see how a player's thought process is being played out. However, I feel like only the hardcore players are the only ones getting any type of enjoyment out of Mirage and the casual players are left in the dust.

-Kane NightWalker, Level 118

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
2161
Kane NightWalker on Jan 9, 2017 wrote:
I think DragonLady1818 and Dr Von are spot on. I literally cannot fight a mob without dying. I don't always have time to farm for the best gear or breed the best pets. I'm still at the beginning of Mirage and have revised my deck several times now in order to actually get through a quest without dying. As others have stated, no one is saying that the game should be a breeze. It should make it fair and enjoyable for different types of players. One thing I really enjoy about W101 is that I like seeing everyone's fighting style. I like to think that you can see how a player's thought process is being played out. However, I feel like only the hardcore players are the only ones getting any type of enjoyment out of Mirage and the casual players are left in the dust.

-Kane NightWalker, Level 118
Thank you Kane NightWalker.

Survivor
Jan 17, 2016
6
Pyle, I hear you when you say you are struggling in Mirage. But before you decide to give up on the game (if you do) try changing your deck set up. Up until I got to Mirage I had a large deck set up. I think the key is to try having a smaller deck so that you can attack more quickly. It took me some time, but I revised my deck so that I have a fighting chance of staying in a battle without dying too quickly. It's still a work in progress, and I'm still trying to find the right set up for both of my decks (I have a deck for mobs and one for boss).

This might have been obvious to some, but I had to learn by trial and error how to get the "right" deck set up. I hope this helps. I know I'm not the only one struggling and just wanted to share this. :) Good luck!

Survivor
May 18, 2009
2
BrynnerOfReign on Dec 28, 2016 wrote:
LOL. It has nothing to do with a deck setup. The mobs can and do hit that hard.

My Ice has 86 resist to Storm/Fire and 56 resist to the rest. I have had 'natural' attacks hit me anywhere from 1700 - 5100. A storm mob hit me for 5100 and I have 86 resist (minus whatever pierce the mob has).

The problem is, the mob natural attacks need to be adjusted. They should not be using "X" spells for it. I dread the thought of continuing my Storm, who, at times, doesn't last past the second round, and that's with a LIFE wizard questing with him!!!! (He has 68 Storm 58 Fire/Ice 38 resist to all others).

When my Ice can get hit that hard with as much resist as I have, then something needs to be changed, and it's not me.
I haven't had any of those problems and I have to quest alone most of the time.

The trick is to know how much you can hit and how many blades you need.

I know how many blades I need and I try to finish it before they hit me. The game is challenging and that's great.
It would be boring if it wasn't.

Explorer
Jun 06, 2013
67
I rethought my membership too and it will now end in 7 days. Reasoning is, if Mirage is this difficult now, surely the next world will be even more difficult for casual players. It was a heartbreaking decision but I will seek out another family friendly game. If none exist, than it will be time for me to find another hobby. I have been a member since 2012. I haven't decided if I will delete everything for now or not as it is hard to let go.

Good luck everyone and goodbye

Survivor
Aug 31, 2009
13
Yes it is hard, but isn't that some of the fun of it? Do you really want a game that you can solo? This game is suppose to be more of a multiplayer game where you make friends and battle together. I enjoyed this land so much more then the others.
Yes, I do hear what you are saying, especially when your friends are not on, or it is late at night or no one is in the area or on other servers, that does stink, and I wish they could do something about. A way when no one is on in an area that they can have everyone go to that area, so you have people, instead of waiting or trying to jump realms to find someone. That really stinks when you want to play.
On the other hand I am a life wizard and I have to say, that my wizard is very weak. Compared to fire, storm, and death, with there kill all card, we can't compete. At least I don't feel we have the same power, they can stack and kill fast with friends. Somethings need to change, some school have it way to easy, and I think it should be more balanced out. It seems all schools have some kind of heal now. How is it the death school kills everyone, then takes that and heals themselves. Crazy. Life wizards have to waste pips just on a heal, and they kill and heal at the same time. I'm just saying, seems that things continue to be very unbalanced, where it needs to be hard for all.

Explorer
Jul 01, 2009
87
Lucky Wizard on Jan 16, 2017 wrote:
I rethought my membership too and it will now end in 7 days. Reasoning is, if Mirage is this difficult now, surely the next world will be even more difficult for casual players. It was a heartbreaking decision but I will seek out another family friendly game. If none exist, than it will be time for me to find another hobby. I have been a member since 2012. I haven't decided if I will delete everything for now or not as it is hard to let go.

Good luck everyone and goodbye
If you feel like quitting now I understand, just don't delete anything in case you change your mind. The third arc IMO has a very good storyl ine and I found that part of Mirage very enjoyable, along with the art and graphics. Having said that tho, I totally understand how you feel. Every time there is a new world I get anxiety worrying if I will be able to play it. It got so bad for me that I was on the verge of deleting my wizards and hanging up my wand for good. If it wasn't for my friends needing a life wizard I wouldn't be playing now. I was able to complete Mirage, but I have no idea how I will do in the next world. I am trying not to get too anxious about it.

It bothers me when people say this challenge is fun when they answer someone in your position. Some (not all) even act like there is something wrong with you if you don't enjoy these kind of challenges. Obviously you are not enjoying them at all, which is why you want to leave. So many average players feel like you do. I hope things will turn around for them so that they can enjoy the game again. I used to look forward to updates. Now they just cause me worry. Sometimes I wonder why I am still here. I guess you are right. It is hard to let go.

Good luck in your future gaming endeavors. :)

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
2161
Lucky Wizard on Jan 16, 2017 wrote:
I rethought my membership too and it will now end in 7 days. Reasoning is, if Mirage is this difficult now, surely the next world will be even more difficult for casual players. It was a heartbreaking decision but I will seek out another family friendly game. If none exist, than it will be time for me to find another hobby. I have been a member since 2012. I haven't decided if I will delete everything for now or not as it is hard to let go.

Good luck everyone and goodbye
I wouldn't delete anything at this point just in case Mirage does get fixed but I would suggest you create a new password that you will remember but make it harder to hack.

At least by leaving everything in place, you won't have to start over with all new wizards and any crowns gear that you may have or farmed for will still be in your account.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
2161
MichaelSoulShard on Jan 16, 2017 wrote:
Yes it is hard, but isn't that some of the fun of it? Do you really want a game that you can solo? This game is suppose to be more of a multiplayer game where you make friends and battle together. I enjoyed this land so much more then the others.
Yes, I do hear what you are saying, especially when your friends are not on, or it is late at night or no one is in the area or on other servers, that does stink, and I wish they could do something about. A way when no one is on in an area that they can have everyone go to that area, so you have people, instead of waiting or trying to jump realms to find someone. That really stinks when you want to play.
On the other hand I am a life wizard and I have to say, that my wizard is very weak. Compared to fire, storm, and death, with there kill all card, we can't compete. At least I don't feel we have the same power, they can stack and kill fast with friends. Somethings need to change, some school have it way to easy, and I think it should be more balanced out. It seems all schools have some kind of heal now. How is it the death school kills everyone, then takes that and heals themselves. Crazy. Life wizards have to waste pips just on a heal, and they kill and heal at the same time. I'm just saying, seems that things continue to be very unbalanced, where it needs to be hard for all.
Just because the game is a Multiplayer game, doesn't mean that everyone has to play that way. Many have soloed a large portion of the game as that is how they prefer to play.

For a game that was and STILL is advertised as a CASUAL FAMILY FRIENDLY game with a target level of 10+ years, this game has left many behind. The huge jump in difficulty without new gear instead of a gradual climb along with the decay of crit/block, mobs that can take a wizard out in the first round with Critical Natural X Attack isn't fun. Many of us have already lost a lot of friends in this game.

I purposely play in a relatively EMPTY realm and would not appreciate being forced to go to another realm just to have other players around. If and when I need help, I make arrangements with the few friends I have left since we all live in different Time Zones.

My Main is Life and I have soloed a very large amount of this game through Az with her. I now dual box and have wizards in all schools across 2 accounts. I do still have a few friends that play occasionally or when new content comes out. Most of them are very good at this game and if they and others who are top notch players are saying Mirage is overboard, then something is very wrong.

If all schools themselves are just fine with the skills each has. But to say it needs to be hard for all, isn't how it should be. A challenge, Yes, but on a GRADUAL increase and not an increase that makes a player have to climb a mountain just to advance in the next world. THAT is not fun.

There are somethings that need to fixed but it isn't the schools. Some schools are stronger in damage than others and it is supposed to be that way. But saying that some schools have it way to easy, doesn't cut it. At some point, they all struggle until they get to a point they have the gear with good stats and well hatched and trained pets. Not everyone has all of this, even at high levels.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
1327
Lucky Wizard on Jan 16, 2017 wrote:
I rethought my membership too and it will now end in 7 days. Reasoning is, if Mirage is this difficult now, surely the next world will be even more difficult for casual players. It was a heartbreaking decision but I will seek out another family friendly game. If none exist, than it will be time for me to find another hobby. I have been a member since 2012. I haven't decided if I will delete everything for now or not as it is hard to let go.

Good luck everyone and goodbye
This makes me sad - I hope things improve for you in this game. If not then I hope you will find one that you like as well.

I hope you won't delete. If things change you might want to come back some day. You did work hard and spend time and/or money for what you have made so far. :)

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
1327
MichaelSoulShard on Jan 16, 2017 wrote:
Yes it is hard, but isn't that some of the fun of it? Do you really want a game that you can solo? This game is suppose to be more of a multiplayer game where you make friends and battle together. I enjoyed this land so much more then the others.
Yes, I do hear what you are saying, especially when your friends are not on, or it is late at night or no one is in the area or on other servers, that does stink, and I wish they could do something about. A way when no one is on in an area that they can have everyone go to that area, so you have people, instead of waiting or trying to jump realms to find someone. That really stinks when you want to play.
On the other hand I am a life wizard and I have to say, that my wizard is very weak. Compared to fire, storm, and death, with there kill all card, we can't compete. At least I don't feel we have the same power, they can stack and kill fast with friends. Somethings need to change, some school have it way to easy, and I think it should be more balanced out. It seems all schools have some kind of heal now. How is it the death school kills everyone, then takes that and heals themselves. Crazy. Life wizards have to waste pips just on a heal, and they kill and heal at the same time. I'm just saying, seems that things continue to be very unbalanced, where it needs to be hard for all.
Not sure if your question was rhetorical but speaking only for myself: Yes, I want a game that I can solo. :)

I want socializing and teaming up to be optional, always.

In addition to people having preferences in how they play a game, there are also situations such as, some people find it very stressful to socialize - especially with strangers - even over the internet.

Longer quests and dungeons mean some amount of socializing even just to make battle plans, or lack of, or to mesh strategies, even if no one speaks. What I mean is, some will rush through it and some will want to agree on strategy first or take each members' strengths into account along the way. And others will prefer an every person for themselves quest strategy - an anything goes situation. And some people get really stressed when the situation or strategy isn't what they are comfortable with.

There is always the henchman option but it isn't really made clear how to do that, to my recollection. I thought we bought one and then it was like a minion we could summon any time. But no the shop for henchmen is only available DURING a battle and the henchman disappears after the battle ends.

So long story short I think soloing should be default and team up add things yes like making it easier or whatever. But as an option.

I don't think any wizard schools should be nerfed.

I have a Lifey too and no they can't hit much but people like them for healing ability.

Death isn't that strong of a school to me. At least not at my levels. They don't fizz as often as Storm or Fire but they do fizz. And they don't have an attack all enemies spell. There is a pet that does though.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
2161
SparkleTude on Jan 16, 2017 wrote:
Not sure if your question was rhetorical but speaking only for myself: Yes, I want a game that I can solo. :)

I want socializing and teaming up to be optional, always.

In addition to people having preferences in how they play a game, there are also situations such as, some people find it very stressful to socialize - especially with strangers - even over the internet.

Longer quests and dungeons mean some amount of socializing even just to make battle plans, or lack of, or to mesh strategies, even if no one speaks. What I mean is, some will rush through it and some will want to agree on strategy first or take each members' strengths into account along the way. And others will prefer an every person for themselves quest strategy - an anything goes situation. And some people get really stressed when the situation or strategy isn't what they are comfortable with.

There is always the henchman option but it isn't really made clear how to do that, to my recollection. I thought we bought one and then it was like a minion we could summon any time. But no the shop for henchmen is only available DURING a battle and the henchman disappears after the battle ends.

So long story short I think soloing should be default and team up add things yes like making it easier or whatever. But as an option.

I don't think any wizard schools should be nerfed.

I have a Lifey too and no they can't hit much but people like them for healing ability.

Death isn't that strong of a school to me. At least not at my levels. They don't fizz as often as Storm or Fire but they do fizz. And they don't have an attack all enemies spell. There is a pet that does though.
Good points and I agree with almost all of it.

The only thing I disagree on is This: "I have a Lifey too and no they can't hit much" Actually yes, we life wizards CAN hit and hit hard. Just always make sure you have a good solid damage spell along with your boosts and your heals. Once that damage spell comes up, ALWAYS keep it in front of you. As soon as a spell enhancement shows, put it on that damage spell. Continue with your heals but also blade yourself just in case. Even if you are helping blade the hitter, you can build your own wizard up. You never know for sure if that hitter is going to completely take out the enemy or not so be prepared.

I used to solo a lot with my life wizard but now I dual box and she usually does support for my fire wizard in AZ but, she is always prepared to hit if necessary. Life rarely fizzes and yes, we life wizards do have an attack all. But from your comment, I am guessing you have not leveled up enough yet to get Forest Lord. That spell will become your favorite for quite some time as a life wizard.

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
613
SparkleTude on Jan 16, 2017 wrote:
Not sure if your question was rhetorical but speaking only for myself: Yes, I want a game that I can solo. :)

I want socializing and teaming up to be optional, always.

In addition to people having preferences in how they play a game, there are also situations such as, some people find it very stressful to socialize - especially with strangers - even over the internet.

Longer quests and dungeons mean some amount of socializing even just to make battle plans, or lack of, or to mesh strategies, even if no one speaks. What I mean is, some will rush through it and some will want to agree on strategy first or take each members' strengths into account along the way. And others will prefer an every person for themselves quest strategy - an anything goes situation. And some people get really stressed when the situation or strategy isn't what they are comfortable with.

There is always the henchman option but it isn't really made clear how to do that, to my recollection. I thought we bought one and then it was like a minion we could summon any time. But no the shop for henchmen is only available DURING a battle and the henchman disappears after the battle ends.

So long story short I think soloing should be default and team up add things yes like making it easier or whatever. But as an option.

I don't think any wizard schools should be nerfed.

I have a Lifey too and no they can't hit much but people like them for healing ability.

Death isn't that strong of a school to me. At least not at my levels. They don't fizz as often as Storm or Fire but they do fizz. And they don't have an attack all enemies spell. There is a pet that does though.
Henchmen are becoming obsolete. I guess maybe trying to make them relevant for mob battles is the route KI is going, but I used them for bosses when things got a bit too much for my wizard duos. With cheats triggered by certain types od spells, that's a thing of the past. That's why I haven't done Darkmoor with any of my wizards, nor Tartarus with most, and am stuck at Rasputin.

As for socializing, that's the biggest reason why this game has alienated me. I don't make friends easy. I'm not one of these people who likes everybody until they give me a reason not to. I won't pretend to be your friend when I know darn well that I'm not. And I won't use people. I don't care if other people don't see asking for help as using people, I do.

I don't see it that way when other people ask me for help, I only see it that way when I'm the one asking. Why? Because that's the only reason I'm asking. I'm not asking strangers to come help me to see if we'll become friends, I'm asking them to help me defeat something I can't defeat on my own, and that is using them.

I will walk away from this game before I will compromise my morals and ethics.

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
415
High Five Ghost on Jan 18, 2017 wrote:
Henchmen are becoming obsolete. I guess maybe trying to make them relevant for mob battles is the route KI is going, but I used them for bosses when things got a bit too much for my wizard duos. With cheats triggered by certain types od spells, that's a thing of the past. That's why I haven't done Darkmoor with any of my wizards, nor Tartarus with most, and am stuck at Rasputin.

As for socializing, that's the biggest reason why this game has alienated me. I don't make friends easy. I'm not one of these people who likes everybody until they give me a reason not to. I won't pretend to be your friend when I know darn well that I'm not. And I won't use people. I don't care if other people don't see asking for help as using people, I do.

I don't see it that way when other people ask me for help, I only see it that way when I'm the one asking. Why? Because that's the only reason I'm asking. I'm not asking strangers to come help me to see if we'll become friends, I'm asking them to help me defeat something I can't defeat on my own, and that is using them.

I will walk away from this game before I will compromise my morals and ethics.
If your philosophy is 'I'm never going to ask for help because it infringes upon my moral and ethical standards' then you have two choices.

1. Lighten up. It's a game. It's not peace in the middle east you're trying to solve. Asking for help to pass parts of the game that weren't designed for solo play is not a failing of your personal character. You can use me to help you finish the Rat. I don't have a problem with it at all. Look for me in the arena I'm usually on my life Mindy Rose.

Or...

2. Take it to the head. Might as well end your membership today. If you don't/can't/won't ask for help from time to time might as well save yourself the aggravation and keep the paper in your wallet.

PS. It sounds like you're alienating yourself from others, not the game alienating you.

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
415
Snee432 on Dec 30, 2016 wrote:
I was in this same boat when I started Mirage. However, now that I am preparing to battle Grandfather Spider, I have had a change of heart. I used team up constantly, I joined with other players in mob battles, and I only soloed 2 bosses. And I started looking around. I saw tons of "Dune" references, and when I got to Shrowdenger's Qhat, my little nerd heart was incredibly happy. Seriously, that was fabulous. Thank you to whomever came up with it.

Mirage is tougher than what I am used to as a player who solos everything. But I am level 120, and one crazy boss away from being finished. What did I learn? That sometimes, I can't solo, I have to get help. I learned to stop and smell the proverbial roses, albeit sandy ones. I found all the desert blossoms, and the oasis-s. I crafted two wands, and trained some new and kind of amazing spells.

I do agree about the drops. Spending an hour battling the shadow version of the Jabberwock, only to get a reagent, a music scroll, and a rank 5 pet snack was a wee bit annoying. I think that guy should shoot a diamond out through your screen at the end of the battle. Just a suggestion.

So, I humbly apologize for anything negative I wrote at the start of my journey into Mirage. I am in no way a "hardcore" gamer, and somehow, I managed to get to 120, with no Darkmoor gear, a couple of good, but not perfect, pets, and the help of a lot of people. If I can do it, you can do it.

See ya in the spiral!
"With no Darkmoor gear"

Hmmm, so the best gear is not the factor people swear it is.

Congrats Snee! I know it wasn't easy, but it is not impossible.

Explorer
Jul 01, 2009
87
High Five Ghost on Jan 18, 2017 wrote:
Henchmen are becoming obsolete. I guess maybe trying to make them relevant for mob battles is the route KI is going, but I used them for bosses when things got a bit too much for my wizard duos. With cheats triggered by certain types od spells, that's a thing of the past. That's why I haven't done Darkmoor with any of my wizards, nor Tartarus with most, and am stuck at Rasputin.

As for socializing, that's the biggest reason why this game has alienated me. I don't make friends easy. I'm not one of these people who likes everybody until they give me a reason not to. I won't pretend to be your friend when I know darn well that I'm not. And I won't use people. I don't care if other people don't see asking for help as using people, I do.

I don't see it that way when other people ask me for help, I only see it that way when I'm the one asking. Why? Because that's the only reason I'm asking. I'm not asking strangers to come help me to see if we'll become friends, I'm asking them to help me defeat something I can't defeat on my own, and that is using them.

I will walk away from this game before I will compromise my morals and ethics.
I never understood why the "making friends" thing on this game bothered me so much. When you explained it tho, I realized that is my problem too. I don't like to be used, or to feel like I am using others. Too many times that's exactly what the "friends" thing feels like. I do have real friends that I play with that I have known for years in and out of the game. But to make friends with a lot of the current players is not something that I want to do. Many that I have encountered are just opportunists, there to only take advantage of me, or to troll me. That's not my idea of a friend. The people playing this game are not like the people back in 2009 Maybe its because of the move away from a family type game to one that is more hardcore. I have played many hardcore games and the people there can be very cutthroat. I think a lot of that attitude has migrated to W101 now.

A game cannot force people to make friends. If that becomes the only way that people can get thru content then a lot of people are just going to leave. In a perfect world it would be great to make all these friends because they would really be friends. However, the world is not perfect and no one wants to feel used.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
1327
Interesting discussions going on here. I'm enjoying reading it.

DragonLady1818 - you're right I overspoke on that one a bit. Thank you for being tactful about it.

Life wizards can hit hard - especially when the enemy is death school. It's just that often when on the daily task, the Life wizard takes longer than my other schools, to kill even a minor enemy. It doesn't seem to pack the same wallop. Also it doesn't seem to have as many attack cards come up since so many cards deal with heals.

But when it does get an attack card it's not a bad amount of punch. And you're right I don't have Forest Lord yet and I had forgotten about that one. That's a cool spell though.

High Five Ghost I admire your integrity.

If I can make one suggestion - there is a message board in which people post offering to help others. They do not expect or require friendship or socializing as part of it (apart from the quest.) They invite people to post and ask for help with specific quests or bosses.

There is also "team up" if it's a boss fight or a dungeon. People accept those knowing it won't be more than a one off partnership 99 percent of the time (no one really expects more, although some offer to continue to help.)

So there are ways you can ask for help or accept help and keep integrity - because some (like me I guess) love to help others but don't really get into the social or friends aspect of it either. So there are helpers who basically feel the same as you do about all of it. They just want to play or help. They don't want to find buddies.

I feel it is OK to be that way and the world is made up of many types of personalities and people. But I just wanted to say that the opposite exists in that needing help or giving help doesn't have to mean finding buddies.

See even this post is me, trying to help. Lol

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
1327
Black Pearl on Jan 18, 2017 wrote:
I never understood why the "making friends" thing on this game bothered me so much. When you explained it tho, I realized that is my problem too. I don't like to be used, or to feel like I am using others. Too many times that's exactly what the "friends" thing feels like. I do have real friends that I play with that I have known for years in and out of the game. But to make friends with a lot of the current players is not something that I want to do. Many that I have encountered are just opportunists, there to only take advantage of me, or to troll me. That's not my idea of a friend. The people playing this game are not like the people back in 2009 Maybe its because of the move away from a family type game to one that is more hardcore. I have played many hardcore games and the people there can be very cutthroat. I think a lot of that attitude has migrated to W101 now.

A game cannot force people to make friends. If that becomes the only way that people can get thru content then a lot of people are just going to leave. In a perfect world it would be great to make all these friends because they would really be friends. However, the world is not perfect and no one wants to feel used.
I agree with you and High Five Ghost about this.
The modern tendency to use the word 'friend' so lightly has always irked me. A friend is something that is very valuable in life because so few qualify to really deserve the term.
People use 'friend' and 'acquaintance' or 'co worker' interchangeably - the internet has made that habit more pervasive. People don't know or don't care that there is a huge difference and those are not the same things, although it's always possible they can overlap.

Anyone who has gone through "hard times" finds out that a *real friend* is not what most people call those who are only there when life is fun and games.

There's nothing wrong with good time companions either - but they're not friends, in my book. I guess some of us just take the word really seriously.

And I'm not competitive and I HATE being used too - I think you've both made me realize why I hate that battle crashing aspect of the game so much. I feel it's not OK to just co-opt someone else's game, battle, or time, and make them work for me and complete my quest or battle for me, without giving them even a CHANCE to consent.

I like team ups because the people volunteer and it's also one and done. No social obligations along with it.

I have forgotten the name of that other board where people can volunteer or ask for help and match up together, but that might be one option. Even there I'd hate to ask. I'm much more comfortable helping than being helped because there is stress waiting of the other person to say "okay, had enough, bye." I guess I like parameters. Then I know where things stand.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
1327
I will say there is one time I feel kind of used and that's only when someone tells me "port!" out of the blue. I mean someone I never hear from otherwise. I ask why and they say they are "nearly dead." I try to port, and it says "your friend is busy." I tell them it said that and they say "try again." I tell them the same thing, they say "try again." So I try a third time and tell them it won't let me port, I'm sorry. They say "but I'm nearly dead" (not near enough that they didn't have time to say all of that, but okay) and I again say I'm sorry.

Then they go silent.

I'm happy to help but please some courtesy such as: Ask first. There's a difference between asking and demanding in urgency.

Give time for me to finish what I am doing because whatever it is, obviously I had prior plans.

Don't assume I can drop everything and fly there the instant needed, because I might be in a battle myself.

I don't require people to socialize or say hi every so often before I help - I don'to care about that. But using me like a henchman feels weird. Don't wait until you are "nearly dead" but let me play the battle WITH you. Unless I know you really well I'm not willing to feel "used" by only being called upon at a moment's notice.

Yesterday someone paged me "I need help!" So I ported, although I was about to begin something of my own. I got there and they ignored me and went into the battle. I messaged them to tell them "I'm here, but you went in" because I thought "OK maybe the timing was off and they didn't notice I ported." No response. I waited. Still no response.
So people do get rude with it at times. So I guess that type of situation is when I do feel used - but it's more to do with the manners and timing. I might be busy or talking to someone else. It's worse when I do show up and they ignore me and fight on their own anyway. That's when I tend to put people on ignore.

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
613
Mr Talon on Jan 18, 2017 wrote:
If your philosophy is 'I'm never going to ask for help because it infringes upon my moral and ethical standards' then you have two choices.

1. Lighten up. It's a game. It's not peace in the middle east you're trying to solve. Asking for help to pass parts of the game that weren't designed for solo play is not a failing of your personal character. You can use me to help you finish the Rat. I don't have a problem with it at all. Look for me in the arena I'm usually on my life Mindy Rose.

Or...

2. Take it to the head. Might as well end your membership today. If you don't/can't/won't ask for help from time to time might as well save yourself the aggravation and keep the paper in your wallet.

PS. It sounds like you're alienating yourself from others, not the game alienating you.
I did end my membership, back at the beginning of December when I said I was going to in the other thread. But it was a 12 month membership. It doesn't actually expire until about mid-March. Actually I just checked, it's March 19th. So exactly 2 months from today.

Survivor
Jul 10, 2011
8
I have to agree with those who believe Mirage needs to be toned down. I finally made it all the way through with my life wiz, but it was so discouraging at times. It wasn't so much the bosses - I expect to be challenged by them. It was the mob fights. When mobs can do over 1k damage with a simple wand hit with no blades or traps--that's not right. It's bad enough that enemies start out with a pile of power pips as compared to the one or two we wizards start with, but then they get to hit at such a high level and crit nearly every time. That's the part of Mirage that I think needs to be nerfed. I have young friends who play this game and when they get to Mirage, I don't want them to lose the fun of the game because they can't even beat a mob fight without doing team-up. That's crazy! I love Wiz and would never leave the game over this, but I just want KI to listen to the fans and make the necessary adjustments so we can continue to enjoy the game.