Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

New super hard core side world

AuthorMessage
Squire
Oct 29, 2011
Lukeskywalker1313 on Mar 27, 2018 wrote:
Have to understand that this game is not a story driven RPG. This is a strategy game. Sure King isle has incorprated very weak and loose story here and there- but thats not what 2/3 arcs of the game. It's about the blades, traps, shields, converts.

Yes it seems the new arc is more heavy in story but that's not really an excuse to make levels easy.

Gear wise the drops are no were near "impossible to get". I gotten all my gear Malistare undying, hades, waterworks, Atlantis highest drops. Did I get them right away? NO. But the drops are there. Since the drops are class restricted you will get them. The drops are generally as follows from my testing across 50ish runs across my 3 high levels

Malistare undying: 15% per piece of gear (got 1 every 6 runs)

Hades: 20% per piece of gear ( got 1 every 5 runs)

Waterworks / Atlantis : 45%: almost 1 piece of gear every 3 runs

*** This percents are no we're close to impossible. Most people are entitled and expect the dungeon to fork it out in 3-4 runs. PEOPLE NEED To WAKE UP. Do the work or don't complain. It's as simple as that.

Knowing the game every player should read the mechanics of every boss. There is a reason wizard101 wiki is there. Go and use it and farm gear.

Luke shadow thorn Level 125

Luke storm Blood level 123

Luke sky walker level 124
This game is an mmorpg, meaning it is rpg. A majority of the people play this game for the story itself, so, people are going to want to be able to move along the story. Also, a person should not be required to read a wiki. Impossible was used as an exageration for how hard gettting gear can be at times. Not everyone who wants to play this game should be required to spend hours at a time farming instead of playing the game. You need to wake up and stop making assumptions about other people.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
Area51Alien on Mar 26, 2018 wrote:
How much fun is a game where every battle easily won? Oh it will be played but when there is NO challenge interest wanes quickly.

How much fun is a game where EVERY battle is near impossible? Not much. My kids and I have given up on Tower of the Helephant. When a team of four cannot defeat the first level after 20 tries, something's wrong.

The trick with any game is to keep it just enough of a challenge that the player feels a sense of accomplishment once the battle is completed. But not so hard that the player gives up and never returns.

Wizards was designed and meant to be a team-focused, goal orientated, game. KI has done marvelous things to keep online game relevant and thriving for 10 years. They see that although (seemingly) player numbers are down those players that remain are nothing if not loyal and dedicated. And KI has adjusted the difficulty levels accordingly. Where I hear "Nerfed" I see "Adjusted for soloability". Just hard enough to make it a sense of accomplishment

How many of us log on daily? weekly? at least once a month? How many of us team up on EVERY quest?

So do we need a Hard-Core World where every challenge is nigh impossible and can only be done with the full cooperation of a team of four? No.

Would it be nice for these types of dungeons to begin popping up? I can see where it would appeal to some.

Just my two cents

Steven Ghoststalker
I especially like your post Steven. I think that it describes the situation very well.

I think it's important to recognize Bartle's Taxonomy at play here. Essentially, he proposed that there are four classes of MMO players:

Achievers- Want to get all of the achievements
Explorers-Want to discover cool things
Socializers- Want to make friends
Killers- Want to be the better than everyone else

Essentially, players tend to fall into these categories and Kings Isle (or any gaming company) has to balance these differing factions. I personally think that KI has done a pretty good job so far- and imagine that they will continue to do so. I also personally think that Wizard101 is a bit more geared towards the "casual" gamer primarily because it is family friendly. If you want to be competitive- there are more "hardcore" options already available-Elder Scrolls Online, World of Warcraft and many more. Wizard101 is sort of a kids game- and that's part of the reason why I like it.

Anyway my biggest concern with an entire hardcore WORLD is that while it may be good for Killers and Achievers it would severely offend the sensibilities of the Explorer group if it's something that they can't enjoy.

There is a YouTube Channel called Extra Credits that made two very good videos about Bartle's Taxonomy and they talk a lot about game design. There are two videos that I'd recommend specifically for those interested:

• Bartle's Taxonomy - What Type of Player are You? - Extra Credits
  • Balancing an MMO Ecosystem - Getting a Mix of Player Types - Extra Credits

They are pretty informative.
Thanks all.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Have to understand that this game is not a story driven RPG. This is a strategy game. Sure King isle has incorprated very weak and loose story here and there- but thats not what 2/3 arcs of the game. It's about the blades, traps, shields, converts.

Yes it seems the new arc is more heavy in story but that's not really an excuse to make levels easy.

Gear wise the drops are no were near "impossible to get". I gotten all my gear Malistare undying, hades, waterworks, Atlantis highest drops. Did I get them right away? NO. But the drops are there. Since the drops are class restricted you will get them. The drops are generally as follows from my testing across 50ish runs across my 3 high levels

*** This percents are no we're close to impossible. Most people are entitled and expect the dungeon to fork it out in 3-4 runs. PEOPLE NEED To WAKE UP. Do the work or don't complain. It's as simple as that.

Knowing the game every player should read the mechanics of every boss. There is a reason wizard101 wiki is there. Go and use it and farm gear.

" PEOPLE NEED To WAKE UP. Do the work or don't complain"

A little intense.

It's just a game.

We will have to agree to disagree obviously
Enjoy your game.
I will enjoy mine, too.

Delver
Mar 10, 2015
It would have been so much easier and better if king isle just stuck with there get go plan. Rather then giving into players wants.

Storm healing current got ruined: rather then 1000k heal or 1000k zap you

Myth: myth as a class with its Minions was a mistake (making them bad)

Ice with its insane hits per health

The list could go on for long time....

King isle if your reading this- JUST stop in the future wth this tactic. Making the game streamline and giving other classes what they want rather then should RUINS the game.

Have faith in players to adapt to what you do. We players enjoy the old crazy make or break you spells. At the core life should not get aoe, it should not be able to have many hits, and this hits should be weak.

I think it's time ya guys looked at the class original purpose once again.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
exp613 on Mar 28, 2018 wrote:
I especially like your post Steven. I think that it describes the situation very well.

I think it's important to recognize Bartle's Taxonomy at play here. Essentially, he proposed that there are four classes of MMO players:

Achievers- Want to get all of the achievements
Killers- Want to be the better than everyone else

Essentially, players tend to fall into these categories and Kings Isle (or any gaming company) has to balance these differing factions. I personally think that KI has done a pretty good job so far- and imagine that they will continue to do so. I also personally think that Wizard101 is a bit more geared towards the "casual" gamer primarily because it is family friendly. If you want to be competitive- there are more "hardcore" options already available-Elder Scrolls Online, World of Warcraft and many more. Wizard101 is sort of a kids game- and that's part of the reason why I like it.

Anyway my biggest concern with an entire hardcore WORLD is that while it may be good for Killers and Achievers it would severely offend the sensibilities of the Explorer group if it's something that they can't enjoy.

There is a YouTube Channel called Extra Credits that made two very good videos about Bartle's Taxonomy and they talk a lot about game design. There are two videos that I'd recommend specifically for those interested:

• Bartle's Taxonomy - What Type of Player are You? - Extra Credits
  • Balancing an MMO Ecosystem - Getting a Mix of Player Types - Extra Credits

They are pretty informative.
Thanks all.
"Achievers- Want to get all of the achievements
Killers- Want to be the better than everyone else"

Very interesting. I'm definitely an explorer. Very rarely a socializer in a game and never an achiever or a killer. One reason I couldn't (bear to) play similar types of games is because there were so many "PK" or player killers who did nothing but kill...other players!

One reason I like this game is first you cannot kill other players and second it's not bloodthirsty or intense, so I like that if anything it does seem to be welcoming to the casual players.
I also realize that there are epithets the achiever and killer players have for 'casuals' but a game company as you said has to keep all the player types in mind.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Lukeskywalker1313 on Mar 26, 2018 wrote:
I am saying king isle should not help to nerf worlds. King isle should encourage people to get better. People will continue to cry for nerfs because they are not putting in the effort. Players will continue to whine unless they improve. So the solution is to either ignore the nerfs (aka people who put in no effort) or B) make drops more common for gear.

It's much easier for king isle prob to increase drop rates then rescale worlds. Trust me when I say it- people will not leave if you stop ignoring requests for nerfs. People will stop, after 15 tries. Then they will try to do some research why they keep loosing. Then they will have to go and farm.

They farm get better loot, and they can continue. End of story
I think you may be forgetting the USP of W101 - it is a child-friendly MMO for all the family. There is a wide demographic of players and some of the most important players are young children.

I say they are the most important because unlike older children and adults they do not have a safe, wholesome alternative. KI have provided them with a gaming experience they would be hard pushed to find elsewhere. It is their USP and the moment they lose sight of that the game will certainly decline in popularity.

Older players and adults are far more likely to be the hardcore players compared to the 10 year old with menu chat who has their gaming time restricted by parents and school etc.

I suspect the pattern of introducing new content at a more hardcore level then subsequently nerfing it to cater for less able or more casual players is strategic and intentional. It allows both demographics and everyone in between to enjoy the game they love

Everyone is investing their time and money into this game because they enjoy it. The moment they stop enjoying it they leave, taking their time and money elsewhere. Older players can do this if they're finding the game lacks the challenges they seek; younger players can not and I applaud KI for their strategic implementation of giving the hardcore players harder content then dropping it down to correct level for the target audience as defined by the USP. Far from the content being made easier than it should be, I see it as KI giving us more challenging content if we are quick enough and dedicated enough to get to it in time!

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014

The 'weak and loose story' you're talking about is neither 'weak' nor 'loose' to the target demographic of young children. As an adult I love the stories and often find myself laughing at the sneaky little references and humour that may be missed by younger players or those who have not read/seen the same things. I know with each wizard I take through the game I am likely to pick up on references I missed the first time.

The story line may not be important to your enjoyment, but for many players they love the story and listen to every word...sometimes multiple times as they quest more wizards The story is definitely a big part of the game for me as well as strategy and all the other aspects. If the story was removed and it was just battling to level up I doubt I'd have gone further than the free areas and certainly wouldn't still be here years later...running a complete new account through it all over again

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Lukeskywalker1313 on Mar 28, 2018 wrote:
It would have been so much easier and better if king isle just stuck with there get go plan. Rather then giving into players wants.

King isle if your reading this- JUST stop in the future wth this tactic. Making the game streamline and giving other classes what they want rather then should RUINS the game.

Have faith in players to adapt to what you do. We players enjoy the old crazy make or break you spells. At the core life should not get aoe, it should not be able to have many hits, and this hits should be weak.

How do you know the original purpose for each class wasn't created the way they meant to be. I played wizard101 for almost 8 years and as far as I remember

Myth was always a class with minions and secondary hitter with it's unique way to get through or knock down shields.

Storm always had "Healing Current" and one of the main power hitters along with Fire
Life was always a healing class with a several attacks spells including "Forest Lord" for survival purposes
Death was always supportive class by their weakness spells and feint along with hit-drain-heal spells including " ( heal other) "Sacrifice"
Balance was always the main supportive class to help in battle both in offence and defense by their own weakness spells, shield / blade other and (heal other) "Helping Hands" and "Availing Hands".

Ice was always the secondary main hitter and defense class by their spells such as: " Tower Shield", "Frozen Shield" to work with other shields , "Stun Block" and "Steal Ward" Etc... and high heath to withstand the hits

As the game ages, classes are continuing being improved with new spells and gear within their school not only because people are complaining but to better the character. Most people play a class for it's animation and sound effects. I don't where you got your ideal of classes from and how you understood them but every MMO game has it's own ideal class purpose. In Wizard101, the ideal class purpose is; all Schools are design to be a team player to each other and capable surviving while going solo when choose to. That's way KI created each school the way they did

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Lukeskywalker1313 on Mar 28, 2018 wrote:

Continue... For everyone as well, try not put sense in to the game or organize the purpose how you feel the game should and shouldn't be, It will do nothing but cause stress and headaches. KI owns Wizard101. We do not. However, suggestions to improve the game is always welcome. Enjoy the game and have fun.