Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Gambling has no place in a family game, KI

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
kingurz wrote:
Yup, full agreement. Wizard 101 is both a kid and adult game. I see the crowns management as a parental responsibility, just like the chat options. The actual playing portion is a kid and adult function. If a parent would like to spend a lot of money on packs, that is actually good for KI since it generates more revenue. However, kids don't pay the bills in the house. So the "how much can we spend" talk should be conveyed between adult and child. If a parent allows a child account to have lots of crowns, aren't they saying "have at it"? While more crown parental controls wouldn't hurt, limiting the child account to zero crowns is the ultimate control (which currently exists). Before the packs came out, there was nothing stopping a child from buying every pet, outfit or mount in the crown shop, which can come at a hefty price too. While the packs could become a bad thing, I believe that it is ultimately a household responsibility and not a KI responsibility. KI is a business, and let's face it, businesses are there to make money. This just happens to be an interesting twist and untraditional way to buy gear from the crown shop.

Agreed. The only caveat which would really beg for parents controlling the crowns better (an issue I don't have because I have my kids on a subscription) is for households where the entire experience for the kids is through crowns packs exclusively. I can see the additional parental controls as a bigger deal there since it would be likely for the kids to have extra crowns in between adding areas.

Defender
May 06, 2009
gtarhannon wrote:
kingurz wrote:
Yup, full agreement. Wizard 101 is both a kid and adult game. I see the crowns management as a parental responsibility, just like the chat options. The actual playing portion is a kid and adult function. If a parent would like to spend a lot of money on packs, that is actually good for KI since it generates more revenue. However, kids don't pay the bills in the house. So the "how much can we spend" talk should be conveyed between adult and child. If a parent allows a child account to have lots of crowns, aren't they saying "have at it"? While more crown parental controls wouldn't hurt, limiting the child account to zero crowns is the ultimate control (which currently exists). Before the packs came out, there was nothing stopping a child from buying every pet, outfit or mount in the crown shop, which can come at a hefty price too. While the packs could become a bad thing, I believe that it is ultimately a household responsibility and not a KI responsibility. KI is a business, and let's face it, businesses are there to make money. This just happens to be an interesting twist and untraditional way to buy gear from the crown shop.

Agreed. The only caveat which would really beg for parents controlling the crowns better (an issue I don't have because I have my kids on a subscription) is for households where the entire experience for the kids is through crowns packs exclusively. I can see the additional parental controls as a bigger deal there since it would be likely for the kids to have extra crowns in between adding areas.

It has taken when 2 to 3 pages till we finially get to really the root of the issue. This thread was created to say how gambling shouldn't be in this game. Truethfully gambling exists in everyday life and this is just one of many great teachable moments one can have with their child.

I quoted this simply because I agree it should be added to the game account so that parents have a higher level of control over the account. I would make the feature very simple. A check box if it is allowed to even use the crown shop. That way it takes the parents ok to say that it is ok to use it. They can still buy added zones with the crowns they have but are restricted from buying this or future game packs. There is already a feature to disable gifting, and it would seem like a natural fit for this sort of new feature.