Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Open Chat & Being Muted

AuthorMessage
Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
It seems that some of the players really don't care about following the rules to play the game. They break the rules, get muted for a day or so, but, in the meantime they continue to create new F2P accounts and are right back within minutes bragging about their account being muted. And for those of you that don't know, IT IS THE WHOLE ACCOUNT that gets muted, not just a single wizard.

When I created my FIRST account, I did so and agreed to those terms and was happy to do so. I thought, FINALLY, a game that I don't have to worry about seeing foul language and abusive behavior being used. Although I had seen a few stating they have been reporting players for this, I personally rarely ever came across anyone behaving in this manner but I did report them when it was against the terms of the game.

I have since then created another account as have many others and have some really great friends. We all have open chat and have had some great discussions on various things going on in the game and our own lives. Some of those friends have disabilities that make it hard for them to do a lot of things so they come to the game to be able to have a fun and rewarding interaction with all their friends. There is not a one of us that has ever used foul language in the game and most of us don't in our personal lives either. The reason we don't is the simple fact it is not need to converse with another person but it is also very disrespectful and self degrading.

Now we come to this game to have fun questing, pet training, gardening, crafting and for some the PvP arena. But instead of the magic we used to feel when we came here, we now see the unacceptable behavior. This has become very disturbing and parents and grandparents are now not letting their children/grandchildren play because it is no longer safe. Some of these families have given their child open chat in order for them to communicate with another family member that may be thousands of miles away either by living in different parts of the country or members being in the military.

There are already links posted in this thread leading to the rules for playing this game. I think it would be in the best interest to those that think they can do as they please to read those rules and to remember, they could also be one of those with a family member too far away to visit very often. If you choose to continue with the barrage of foul language and abusive behavior then it will be you and your distant family member that will suffer the consequences of your account being muted.

The Terms of Use clearly states in the 3RD paragraph, that if you do not accept the terms then you should refrain from using any part of the service that KI provides. In other words, if you don't accept them then you should not be playing this game. As I said, there are links already in this thread that will take you to a lot of the information you should have already read in the first place.

Fallon WinterLeaf a "Wizard City Protector"

Defender
Jul 10, 2011
goldendragon18 wrote:
It seems that some of the players really don't care about following the rules to play the game. They break the rules, get muted for a day or so, but, in the meantime they continue to create new F2P accounts and are right back within minutes bragging about their account being muted. And for those of you that don't know, IT IS THE WHOLE ACCOUNT that gets muted, not just a single wizard.

When I created my FIRST account, I did so and agreed to those terms and was happy to do so. I thought, FINALLY, a game that I don't have to worry about seeing foul language and abusive behavior being used. Although I had seen a few stating they have been reporting players for this, I personally rarely ever came across anyone behaving in this manner but I did report them when it was against the terms of the game.

I have since then created another account as have many others and have some really great friends. We all have open chat and have had some great discussions on various things going on in the game and our own lives. Some of those friends have disabilities that make it hard for them to do a lot of things so they come to the game to be able to have a fun and rewarding interaction with all their friends. There is not a one of us that has ever used foul language in the game and most of us don't in our personal lives either. The reason we don't is the simple fact it is not need to converse with another person but it is also very disrespectful and self degrading.

Now we come to this game to have fun questing, pet training, gardening, crafting and for some the PvP arena. But instead of the magic we used to feel when we came here, we now see the dark side. This has become very disturbing and parents and grandparents are now not letting their children/grandchildren play because it is no longer safe. Some of these families have given their child open chat in order for them to communicate with another family member that may be thousands of miles away either by living in different parts of the country or members being in the military.

There are already links posted in this thread leading to the rules for playing this game. I think it would be in the best interest to those that think they can do as they please to read those rules and to remember, they could also be one of those with a family member too far away to visit very often. If you choose to continue with the barrage of foul language and abusive behavior then it will be you and your distant family member that will suffer the consequences of your account being muted.

The Terms of Use clearly states in the 3RD paragraph, that if you do not accept the terms then you should refrain from using any part of the service that KI provides. In other words, if you don't accept them then you should not be playing this game. As I said, there are links already in this thread that will take you to a lot of the information you should have already read in the first place.

What is "the dark side"?

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
eric123456789028 wrote:
What is "the dark side"?

All of the swearing, talk of felony assaults, racial slurs, drug references etc. that directly go against TOU.

Megan

Community Leader
goldendragon18 wrote:
I would just like to add one thing Darthjt.

Professor Greyrose posted this topic "Chatting Clarifications" in the Headmaster's Announcements this morning and this is the link to it.

https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/52195.ftl

Thank you Darth and thank you Greyrose for the chat statement.

The way I look at these things is:
Even if you do it at home why are you going to take the time to type it, in a game that you know it is against their guidelines. It does not make you look cool or adult, to me it makes you look silly and you know you can get reported doing it.

Delver
Jul 21, 2009
Paige MoonShade wrote:
goldendragon18 wrote:

Professor Greyrose posted this topic "Chatting Clarifications" in the Headmaster's Announcements this morning and this is the link to it.

Even if you do it at home why are you going to take the time to type it, in a game that you know it is against their guidelines. It does not make you look cool or adult, to me it makes you look silly and you know you can get reported doing it.

Sadly they know there going to get reported some just don't care, I for one have been told by them ( Report me i don't care ) and they go on say things . Very sad to see kids acting like that. What's even worse is to see some adults act like that also.

Hero
May 02, 2009
Paige MoonShade wrote:
goldendragon18 wrote:

Sad thing is that some people are so dilusonal that they dont/refuse to take the time to stop and think about things before they do it.

I know I've met some people who know swearing isn't allowed in this game, so instead they think its okay to go to another online game and swear, when the chances are that game has similar rules to this one.

Wake up and grow up people, swearing, verbal harrasment and other stuff like that isn't allowed, and if you do get reported and muted, dont be ignorant and make another account, as that just makes you look like someone who thinks that they can do whatever they want.

If you truly want to play the game without fear of getting in trouble, then do the smart thing and follow the rules and report people who do, its just that simple.

Explorer
Aug 01, 2009
I for one am not a 'wizard city protector' but do my best to keep the spiral a fun place :>
I got reported falsely for the first time yesterday for asking someone to stop begging and trying to get their own money, and after a response of a vey nasty curse around the filter saying (curse) off, I gave a nice report for foul language as I was simply not in the mood to argue with him, and he was begging quite a lot earlier anyways and probably wouldn't listen to the reason of a someone annoyed me XD

I also like to give out a few packs with my extra crowns to those who've been helpful for the sake of being helpful! I'll be giving two out next time I get crowns and I already picked this delightfully friendly and helpful wizard to give one to for the sake of just deciding to help me with quests because he had been in the same battle as me :D

I do hope our spiral will slowly become cleaned up again and return to the family game it should be :3

(PS: I am intrigued about these WCPs, could someone explain to me who they are? XD)

*Danielle LionHeart; Pyromancer

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
lionheart999 wrote:

(PS: I am intrigued about these WCPs, could someone explain to me who they are? XD)

*Danielle LionHeart; Pyromancer

Lionheart, our group started forming in mid June do to another thread in Ravenwood Commons titled "Rudeness/Attitude of Players. Here is the link:

https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/50589.ftl

The original post has been edited to remove the word that was used against the OP's daughter. Needless to say, when some of us read this, it set our blood to boiling so to speak. Some of us have admitted that to we too are just as much at fault because when we are questing, we usually do not stop in the Commons to really take a look around and see what is happening. We just burst through on our way to the Bazaar, sell or buy and usually port right back to our questing area.

By not taking this time to see the abhorrent behavior has only let it get completely out of control. Our Report buttons were basically stored in the attic collecting dust a cobwebs.

But answer your question about who we are. We are parents, grand parents, aunts and uncles with younger family members that are or did play. When we read the above linked thread we started finding ways for us to meet up in the game. The founding group started with about 9 members. Those 9 are now the group leaders. We started posting and trying to let players in the game know that Cursing and other offensive behavior was not allowed in the game. Shortly after the 1st of July, we formed a group on Central. Before we could even get our forum fully set up, we started getting more players wanting to join us. Some were players that saw and read the above mentioned thread and others we met in the game. We hope that by doing what we do, it is giving other players the incentive to really take the time to look around regardless of where they are in the game and use the report button when the rules are clearly broken.

We have 2 goals. The first is to EDUCATE as many of the young players as we can and get them to see that the abusive behavior in not needed to be "cool" but that it is also disrespectful, self degrading and most of all, NOT allowed in the game. Those that actually do listen, will somtimes go and really read the ToU and the recent post by Professor Greyrose regarding Chatting Clarifications. Educating these young players is our preference and we have managed this with some. Those players are also trying to relate the same rules to their ingame friends. The hope is that these young wizards will also carry this with them in real life as well.

The second goal is to hopefully at the very least, get those that are consistantly getting muted, turning around and making new F2P accounts just to abuse the game even more, permanently muted or if KI deems it necessary and IP ban. We have seen some of these players go so far as to curse against KI and game rules.

Suggestions have been made in the Dorms section that would greatly reduce the abuse we currently see. Players need to learn that there are rules that KI put into place before this game ever became public. KI has to adhere to certain Federal guidelines but also has the right since (to quote another) Wizard101 is their home, their property to set in place what they will or will not allow to be used in their home. It is my opinion, that if you visit someone else's home, you should accept their rules no matter what.

Survivor
Aug 06, 2011
When will you people learn that KI doesnt need your help.They can inforce the rules them selves. So stop trying to be a lilttle "Ki helper" you said it yourself you dont work for KI in anyway shape or form.So stop trying to act all high and mighty. No one needs you to walk around telling people what they already know yes very open chat person knows what the rules are they ignore because thats there chocie they know wha happens.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
devinesofine wrote:
When will you people learn that KI doesnt need your help.They can inforce the rules them selves. So stop trying to be a lilttle "Ki helper" you said it yourself you dont work for KI in anyway shape or form.So stop trying to act all high and mighty. No one needs you to walk around telling people what they already know yes very open chat person knows what the rules are they ignore because thats there chocie they know wha happens.

I am sorry you think we are acting high and mighty. Actually we don't think that way.

In case you have not noticed, KI gave all members the report button to use just for this reason. KI cannot put staff members in the game to patrol it and keep it clean. Nor can they have enough on the monitors to watch every little wizard in the game.

We have chosen to help put an end to the unacceptable language and behavior in the game so that our young family members can resume their adventures.

There are many in the game that have no regard for the ToU/chat rules and therefore it is up to the community to assist KI in doing some house cleaning. If those that choose to ignore the rules are not reported, then there really is not a lot KI can do now is there?

So if they have open chat and get reported and muted as a result, that is their fault for not following the rules. We will continue to report any where we see these things happening.

Squire
Feb 29, 2012
devinesofine wrote:

They know what happens? Many KI staff don't play Wizard101 too often and so need us to help them. Granted, it may seem like that's all we do.

Wrong! I've been taking a break lately and questing to level up.

Many people know about the rules, it's just that they don't follow them. I've seen player like that who don't care about being reported and then get muted. They go to make another F2P account and start cursing again until they get perma-muted. This has got to stop, before the littler kid pick up on it.

I will not let my brother of eight years old to see this. When he's on, I in fact, encourage him to use menu chat. The text chat is for my convenience, not for my brother to see vulgar language.