Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Wizard Math: a Homeschooler's Lesson

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jul 16, 2009
That's a really great idea!
One of the things I absolutely love about the game is the ability to incorporate teaching opportunities into my child's game playing time!
I, too, have utilized the game for homeschooling.
Awhile back, when my child was learning a unit on Medieval Europe, I totally
utilized the game to bring historical references to her. :)
What was great about a lot of it was she was having fun while she was learning, and, it wasn't that difficult to create a lesson plan based around it!
There have been many times after she had finished her schoolwork, that she'd get on the game and have a lot of the things she was learning be "brought to life", virtually, while she was just running around the Spiral picking up quests and having fun.
It is truly a wonderful game for encouraging imagination!
Super good idea!

Explorer
May 28, 2011
oh! oh! i am a homeschooler! except my mom does not like wizard101 :( in fact this is my third account. i speant so much time beating unicorn way instead of doing school that she took it away before i could become a member.

idea! maybe kingsisle could go around every fall or winter teaching kids computer programing and geomatry and other skills required to design a game. and another idea... go to stafford county in virgina

belgrim ogrebane lvl 35 myth

"not if i stick you first" sam gamgee, return of the king

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
natenkate wrote:
Which bosses have the highest ratio of seed drops? Reagents? Housing items? Pick 3 bosses of the same rank and see who averages the most damage against you, etc. Do you average more 'good' drops in solo or in party?

Oh, oh! I love these ideas :) We will add them to the list of wizard math lessons. Statistics and spreadsheets can be fun!

Thanks so much,

qbb

Survivor
Jul 08, 2011
this game is really fun but i am only level 26 so i have no idea what the Efreet spell does but i love the humongofrog! And having that many blades and traps would take a while to get.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
We are also a homeschooling family. I use Wizard 101 as a springboard into world history / art / literature studies.

Krokotopia, of course, it akin to ancient Egypt. We studied the history, learned about heiroglyphs, read Egyptian myths, and even explored the parallel between the Krok's conquest of the Manders vs. the Spanish conquest of the Americas....

MooShu is akin to Imperial China and Japan. We studied the dynasties of China, explored the religion of Buddhism, learned oragami, learned about the origin of silks, and explored the marital arts.

Grizzleheim/Wintertusk is similar to ancient Celtic and Norse cultures. We've listened to the music, learned about the art of Illumination (of manuscripts), looked at the Book of Kells, and the Tara Broach, and read both Norse and Irish mythology.

I'm currently working out a unit on Medieval Europe to compliment Wizard City.

It's been great fun for the kids to have this game touching on so many different strands of history, art and culture. I can make otherwise abstract, "dusty old history lessons" relevant and vibrant because this game brings these old cultures back to life. As soon as I say, "this is like ___ in MooShu," suddenly they're all ears. :)

Champion
Sep 01, 2009
That's so neat! We just discovered that the Green Men in Wysteria look almost exactly like Salvador Dali, so my son and I went on a Google hunt, looking for paintings by Salvador Dali. He discovered a new artist today, thanks to Wizard101! We've tried approaching math, but his biggest question is, "If I have a -80% shield, and I put a -25% weakness on the mob, why do I get damage at all? That totals -105%. I should get at least 0 damage, if not a little health." I can't argue with that. Anyone else ever noticed that aspect of Wizard101 math doesn't "add up"? Other than confusion with negative integers, my son has learned a lot about patience, planning, manners, online safety and history from this game. Look for us in the Spiral :)

Erin Ice Weaver level 60
Justin Thunder Breeze level 55
(We're riding a large gold and green Wyvern named Skippy)

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
@Freshta &L oreis04,

I'm so happy to see another home schooling family who does things in a similar way. When I tell other-schooler folks about our projects, they often roll their eyes and wonder if we actually do any "Work". LOLZ, I always wondered why learning has to be work...

Anyway, I love your idea of using contextual art and history lessons linked from gameplay. Clever harnessing of curiosity!

It would be fun to have a special forum just for us wizarding teachers, wouldn't it?

Warmest Regards,

qbb

Survivor
Feb 24, 2011
I think it's a awsome idea but i was wondering that why can there be just gold instead of crowns.If you agree we should just have gold post.
Thnx,Taylor SwiftBlossom :D

Explorer
Jun 09, 2010
Loreis04 wrote:
We've tried approaching math, but his biggest question is, "If I have a -80% shield, and I put a -25% weakness on the mob, why do I get damage at all? That totals -105%. I should get at least 0 damage, if not a little health." I can't argue with that. Anyone else ever noticed that aspect of Wizard101 math doesn't "add up"? Other than confusion with negative integers, my son has learned a lot about patience, planning, manners, online safety and history from this game. Look for us in the Spiral :)

Erin Ice Weaver level 60
Justin Thunder Breeze level 55
(We're riding a large gold and green Wyvern named Skippy)

If the mob or boss hits you with a spell that does lets say 100 damage normally, and you have put a 25% weakness on him then that spell becomes 75 damage. If you have a -80% shield on you will be hit for -80% of 75, or a damage of 15 (not including any resist you might have)

Historian
Jan 05, 2011
Here's a wizard word problem for you: i have 2928 health with a universal resistance of 40%. This is with my pet giving me 117 of that health from the health gift talent. So currently it would take 4880 points of damage to bring me to 0 health. If my pet had spell defy, giving me an additional +6% universal resistance INSTEAD of giving me the health gift, would i be able to withstand more or less damage? And by how much (dropping decimals)? -elijah darkthorn, legendary conjurer (btw, i know the answer)

Survivor
Aug 15, 2009
The whole idea of using wizard 101 had never come to me before. When I was little I had really good math skills but I hit a point where it wasn't the best, then once I found a way to visualize and interest myself, it became so much easier. I am not a parent, but merely an 8th grader trying to help my little brothers get some learning from wizard 101. They are always tellin me what each world reminds them of, and then I point out similarities and differences, which make it more fun for them once I showed my older (of the 2) brother that he could calculate what his total amount if damage might be, he starte doing his favorite spell and trying to figure out how much it was with a trap, or with a blade, and then both, and so on, and my other brother saw how much fun he was having and wanted to try, I was surprised, because with a week of vacation led they usually want to spend it playing, not learning, then it hit me. They were doing both at the sane time! Duh, if all the other stuf was like this say they're science, they would play everyday every hour out of school. Now if only I could show them that it can be more fun if you learn to match quest tittles and characters to real life people and events, then it would be perfect.

Champion
Jul 30, 2010
i must say that wiz101 has impoved my math skills and i keep trying to do the math for "high hits" using so many multiple trap/blades that i have gotten exremely good in multiplacation before i started.

Mastermind
May 02, 2009
it would be funny to use the 7 school in the game liked real classes. lol