Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

MacOS 12.3 Beta and removal of Python 2.x

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 25, 2009
MacOS 12.3 will not support Python 2.x and wont ship with Python 3
Since macOS 12.3 will not support Python 2.x how will we run Wizard 101 on macOS?
I have the 12.3 beta and throws and error about Python 2.7 not being installed.
Will this be the end of the road?
Also Python 2.x has not been supported for like two years so are we opening ourselves up to issues with using wizard101 on macos 12.2 and older?

Survivor
Mar 21, 2019
Bump! Recently updated my mac to 12.3 and my game no longer works, for those that will be updating refrain from doing so if you’d like to keep playing! Hopefully devs patch this asap!

Survivor
Jun 28, 2017
Whenever I try to open the Wizard101 application from both the finder and launchpad, I immediately get met with a "Wizard101 quit unexpectedly" window. I wasn't having this issue earlier today and it started suddenly. Even with a fresh install of MacOS didn't solve this. I just bought items and subscriptions for my family and I and all of a sudden I can't play.

Survivor
May 22, 2010
Hello, I'm not sure if people can help here, but I will try anyways.

I updated my Mac (MacBook Pro m1 2021) to the macOS Monterey 12.3, and ever since I finished updating, I haven't been able to play the game. Every time I try to open wizard101, a window titled "Problem Report for Wizard101" pops up with a long error message which I can provide upon request.

I've tried restarting my computer and even re-installing the game. Any help would be appreciated and thank you! It's getting kind of frustrating because nothing seems to be working!

Survivor
Aug 29, 2016
Any updates? tried installing re installing etc game will not launch. (Mac Monterey 12.3 on Mac book pro)

Survivor
Aug 03, 2009
Hello,
It looks like the latest MAC OS update (12.3) has caused the game to not load. When attempting to start the game I get "Wizard101 quit unexpectedly" - the previous update stated that the app developers would need to update the app for it to work on future MAC updates.

Survivor
May 22, 2010
Huge bump to this thread, I have not been able to play and it's unfortunate to say that I am still paying for membership despite my inability to play on my Mac after updating it to 12.3 . I have tried pretty much everything from restarting my computer and reinstalling the game.

I hope they it/update us soon! They haven't been very responsive and communicative about this issue.

Survivor
Jun 17, 2012
Upgraded yesterday and now Wizards crashes every time I try to start it. Downloaded and still have the same problem. Is anybody else having this issue?

Administrator
Hi all! Apologies about taking so long to respond to this issue posted in the forums. We're aware of this new problem and are working with CodeWeavers to get it sorted. We are also responding to your customer support tickets.

Due to the nature of the issue, until we can get a corrected update from CodeWeavers, we need to refer you to for advanced technical support at Codeweavers. You can reach them at wizard101@codeweavers.com or sales@crossover.codeweavers.com. We'd recommend sending to both at the same time.

Please note that Codeweavers support for Wizard101 is free and you do not have to purchase any additional software.

We'll also keep you updated here when a compatible build is put in place. Apologies again for this unexpected issue.

Survivor
Jun 28, 2017
Quick fix to the topic of this forum post, macOS 12.3 is no longer a beta release and has released to production. This is affecting more than just beta users of Monterey. Only posting this to bring awareness that this is affecting all Mac users who have the latest production release of macOS.

Survivor
Dec 12, 2021
Is there any update on the game for MacOS 12.3? :(

Survivor
Aug 29, 2016
I received an email from code weavers in reply to this problem and they said 'they are aware of this issue and working to resolve it but there is no fixed time scale unfortunately'.

It is clear that if you want to play this game a PC is the better choice. The past few years I have had nothing but issues accessing this game on my many Mac computers. As the first post suggests this might be the end!

Frustrating times indeed :(

Survivor
Jun 28, 2017
If you have wizard installed currently on your Mac device uninstall it and download it again. There was an update released for it which solves the issue, however I was unable to get it without doing this as the older version of the client crashed before it could ever show the update button.

Also KI, please be more public about these fixes, I would have never known this had been fixed if I hadn't tried to launch Wizard on a 2009 iMac and it informed me of the update.

So far my issues with the new version of the client so far:

- Odd launch times, while the old version took a couple of seconds to do the second launch after log in, this one took me about a minute, making me think it didn't launch in the first place.

- Still has the same issue of the old version where if you accidentally double click or click the "login" button, it completely breaks the UI of the launcher, making you have to close and reopen it sometimes to even get in. Wish this had gotten fixed but it's understandable that it might just be issues with the Crossover emulation.

- In game Crown Shop still lags to the point it both slows down the download of game files, making it impossible to view certain items that need to download it's files without closing out of the Crown Shop entirely and going back into it later. (Turning smoothing to either On or Off does not fix this.) (Again might just be an issue with CrossOvers emulation.)

My device is an Apple Silicon M1 MacBook Pro.

While these issues might be minor, it's enough to make some people just not want to use the Crown Shop at all, or even bother with the buggy log in UI. Lack of update notice on the Message Boards is also disappointing, as it wasn't even possible to open the client to see the option to update in the first place.

I'm not upset at KI and CrossOver's developers for the game breaking, Apple releasing macOS Monterey 12.3 and removing the Python framework that was severely out of date and insecure without making an announcement on it and relying on other sources to inform people wasn't KI or CrossOver's fault. Would've been better if they had just released an updated framework for it (maybe they did but I can't find it anywhere).

Thank you for the quick Fix, I'm going to enjoy being able to play with my other family members again. However being a monthly paid member, this still hurt as I lost a good majority of my playtime I paid for this month.

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2010
Sparck on Mar 18, 2022 wrote:
Hi all! Apologies about taking so long to respond to this issue posted in the forums. We're aware of this new problem and are working with CodeWeavers to get it sorted. We are also responding to your customer support tickets.

Due to the nature of the issue, until we can get a corrected update from CodeWeavers, we need to refer you to for advanced technical support at Codeweavers. You can reach them at wizard101@codeweavers.com or sales@crossover.codeweavers.com. We'd recommend sending to both at the same time.

Please note that Codeweavers support for Wizard101 is free and you do not have to purchase any additional software.

We'll also keep you updated here when a compatible build is put in place. Apologies again for this unexpected issue.
Is there any ETA?

Monterey released months ago.

Survivor
Feb 12, 2009
Sparck on Mar 18, 2022 wrote:

Whats going on with this issue?

Explorer
Jun 16, 2010
Hello everyone!

I have just seen this post, however I am also a MacOS user!

I have been a long time player and for the most part have played nearly every day in the last few years.

I personally am not having any game play issues, nothing more than I can tell at least.

However there was a post from the DEVS around the time apple was releasing an update, pretty much saying that the player would need to delete and re - install their game launcher in order for it to work post update.

I do believe that I did this, just delete the game or re-download and delete the old file when you do.

There are some things that do not work for Mac users, such as seeing the rewards of a crowns event, without failure message. You also cannot purchase crowns through the shop, the external link causes a crash.

Otherwise most gameplay isn't effected for me.
There was a major issue with the most recent test realm not launching. However I do not believe they ever fixed this, luckily, it did not follow to live realm, as I can still play there.

I recommend you take a look at the required specifications for wizard 101 which can be found here: www.wizard101.com/game/system-requirements

If your device is capable, then download whatever the current file is and try again. Hopefully it works for you, otherwise I would say contact code weaver support, like Spark Suggests.