Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

school mastery amulet done for?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 11, 2009
I bought the mastery of death amulet for $10 years ago. I have a life wizard level 102 now.
I feel as though it's pointless to even own the amulet since it takes the slot of the necklace. Necklace at level 100+ are extremely beneficial, so of course you wouldn't wear the mastery amulet. In addition, now there are far more spells to learn outside of the schools it also makes the mastery amulet that much more useless. a rank 6 spell isn't going to cut it. Are mastery amulets just a gag gift now? Or do people still use them? and for what? I feel like I wasted $10 and training points.

Survivor
Feb 13, 2010
I find mastery is useful until shadow magic, but our gear mostly only gives our own school damage and our own school accuracy in some cases. The game really isn't set up for dual builds unless you get a few packs which can give gear with Multi school damage boost.

You can still use it, just keep in mind there is better options for necklace.

Defender
May 22, 2012
Magicman123964 on May 24, 2021 wrote:
I bought the mastery of death amulet for $10 years ago. I have a life wizard level 102 now.
I feel as though it's pointless to even own the amulet since it takes the slot of the necklace. Necklace at level 100+ are extremely beneficial, so of course you wouldn't wear the mastery amulet. In addition, now there are far more spells to learn outside of the schools it also makes the mastery amulet that much more useless. a rank 6 spell isn't going to cut it. Are mastery amulets just a gag gift now? Or do people still use them? and for what? I feel like I wasted $10 and training points.
I use Mastery Amulets in situational battles. A few days ago my Fire had to be a healer so I used my Life amulet to keep the team alive. Also in recent times I used my Death Mastery Amulet to help my various wizards against the Storm Titan sending Bad Juju TC his way.

You could always go to the Bazaar and buy rank 7-10 spells for Death. Additionally when you reach the Arcanum you can train the Bone Dragon spell. I don't know if you can port to a friend there and train it now but you have to be level 100, being 102 it might work? You can also craft Death Trap and there's damage bubbles for Death too now..Life has one as well if you hadn't noticed

Defender
Jun 04, 2014
Mastery Amulets are quite useful for times when you need to use other school spells or to support a team - either hitters, or healers. Also, there are different types of amulets. The "regular" school amulets drop in Waterworks, and Tower of the Helephant among other places.

Next step up (available around level 90) are the Exalted Amulets, which drop from different dungeons in Aquila.

Next up at level 100 are the Darkmoor Amulets - which only drop from the first gold key treasure room in the first part of Darkmoor. These are definitely amulets you want to get. I consider them to be the best in the game (next to Polaris amulets). The have stats and jewel slots that are very helpful.

Next up at (Level 110(?) I think) are the Polaris Amulets dropped by Omen Stribog - another gold key dungeon. Omen drops amulets like crazy, along with permanent mounts and other good stuff. It's a hard battle, but a lot of people do go there. Sometimes Omen drops 2 or 3 amulets at once - this has happened to me on a few occasions. The amulets have slightly different stats than Darkmoor, but I consider them on par, and I usually use both Omen and Darkmoor amulets.

Next up from there are craftable amulets and amulets that drop in Mirage. Ain't gonna lie, these amulets are OK, and I do have a set of them, but I never use them. They are just not quite good enough compared to Darkmoor and Polaris.

After that, I don't know. I stopped collecting amulets once I had a complete Darkmoor and Polaris set.

If you are judicious with your training points, you can actually train to use level 100 spells in most schools. That's really when using these amulets shine - because now you have access to the "Power" spells from these schools. However, I should like to point out that if you use the gear sets in the game, you can actually put together unique sets of gear that can enhance the damage capability of a school set with the appropriate amulet. Then you can learn the full power of using the lower level school spells also. For example, in my "Death Mode" setup as I call it, using Death type damage gear and a Darkmoor Death amulet, you can do 2K Death Sprite hits, or 3K Ghoul hits.

You might have seen there are a few people in the game that change gear sets depending on the battles they are doing. If so, you have probably seen me also as I do a lot of Darkmoor and Tower of the Helephant runs and morph to different schools. I have lots of support school spells too from training points.

Also, you will hear some criticism (as I have many times) from some players who say "Well if you wanted to do Storm spells, why don't you just make a storm?". That kind of misses the point of you being an ultimate support player. I will mention that being able to switch to different school "modes" dramatically helps you in soloing the game, not to mention sometimes giving you some advantages in PVP since you can surprise opponents using a poweful off-school spell (as a lot of PVPer's can attest to).

Anyway, to each his own. School Amulets have made the game more fun for me, and helped me support other schools or to act as a team power hitter or healer when we didn't have those, or someone (like our power hitters) fled or got booted from a dungeon. Your mileage may vary. To each their own. Good Luck.

Defender
Mar 13, 2014
Life mastery amulets are quite useful for healing spells, and I use one all the time on my storm and fire wizards, which have low health to start with and need all the healing support they can get. I will say I am too lazy to farm them and just bought the one I use from the crown shop.

But for anything else, mastery amulets aren't really effective. Yes, you can put together weird gear sets and expend a bunch of training points setting up a wizard to use spells from a secondary school, but the result is going to be a makeshift that is always less powerful than a proper wizard that has the same spells as a primary school. The whole notion of a secondary school is one of the (many) ideas Kingsisle came up with early in the game's development that didn't pan out.