Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

All Schools Solo Guide!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 29, 2014
Hello! This post is going to be a basic guide on everything you need to know, plus some tips you can use to enhance your soloing experience. In other words, I am going to be giving tips for every school that can help you solo quest pretty much every boss in the game. This guide can help new players, or advanced players who may be starting a different school wizard, and would like some tips for soloing. Let's get started!

GEAR
First, I would like to start off by listing the highly recommended soloing gear for pretty much every school, ranged by level. Some schools may have different gear requirements, and if this is the case, I will list it in that school's tips area. Here is the basic gear guide for all levels that will get you by when soloing just fine.

Level 1-29: This gear doesn't matter too much at all. Just use the gear that you get from doing main quests, as there is no point in farming for any gear at this level since you will level out of it extremely quickly, not to mention that there isn't much gear to farm for at this level anyway.

Level 30-59: Here is where you have a choice. Some wizards at this level choose to farm Aquilla for their gear at this level. This is where you can get the sky iron hasta, the best wand you will use for a long time. It isn't absolutely necessary to farm at this level. Personally, I didn't on any of my wizards, and you get by just fine.

Level 60-99: This is where you will be using the same set for a long time. It is extremely recommended that as soon as you hit level 60, you start farming for the Waterworks hat, robe, and boots as this is the gear you will be using up until level 100. In my opinion, every level 60 wizard should farm waterworks as it has some really nice gear you can use for a long time.

Level 100-129: It is expected that when you hit level 100, you're still in Waterworks. So now, it's time for an upgrade. At level 100, it is an absolute must that you do Darkmoor at least a few times. Not only do you get your level 100 shadow spell, but you get the best gear in the game here from level 100-129. (Hat, robe, sometimes boots, athame.)

Level 130+ This is the final set of gear you will use. At level 130, you need to get Dragoon gear. This is the WC underground gear and will last you the rest of the game. It is recommended that you farm the Abandoned House until you have enough reagents to craft Dragoon hat, boots, and amulet.

DEATH
You probably already know that death is by far the easiest school to solo as. This is because of death's drain spells. They keep you alive and deal damage at the same time, so if you time your hits correctly you will almost never die. Death also has good resist, health, etc, so staying alive isn't a problem. When you are a low level death (below level 48,) you should carry a large number of scarecrow treasure cards with you. (Trust me, they make it much easier!) As a death, it is important that you have a hit up at all times, just in case you need to do an "emergency hit" to regain health. They also don't need to focus too much on shielding, etc, because they can get back to full health as long as they have a hit up. Also, as a death, if you aren't hitting, your supporting, whether that be blading yourself or someone else. Just have a hit up at all times and its ez pz.

ICE
Like death, ice is easy to solo as. Not as easy as death, but with ice's high resist and health, they can survive for awhile. Ice also has lots of shields, so utilizing them correctly will make soloing so much easier. Try to shield right about when you think your opponent is going to hit. If you go first in the duel, you have the advantage because you can shield on the same round your opponent hits, greatly reducing damage. They might not have much damage, but their resist keeps them alive.

BALANCE
As a balance, you have a good "balance" of versatility. you have a few heal spells, as well as some spells that deal quite a bit of damage. The trick to balance is making sure that your opponent cannot get a "free" hit on you. this means you should have spells in hand that can reduce your opponent's damage. This applies to all schools, but balance is special because they have lots of different spells that can do this. (For example, hitting with Ra puts a -45% weakness on the enemy. Balance has tons of shields, weakness spells, etc.) Balances should also make sure they are going to one-shot the enemy before hitting. Since they have so many support spells, it won't be hard to make sure you one-shot on your main hit.

FIRE
Fire definitely has it tough when it comes to soloing. They don't have too much resist or health, and not many shields or anything that can reduce opponents damage after the efreet nerf. As a fire, your best bet would be trying to blade up and hit as fast as possible. Don't give your opponent any extra time. Carry fireblade treasure cards with you so if you don't have a blade up in a round, you can treasure card yourself to make sure you don't waste any time. You can carry brace, tc tower shield, etc, but it's honestly more important as a fire to make every round a round that will make your next spell stronger, similar to storm. It's more important as ever on a fire that you get good gear for your level to get high damage, which will make it easier to solo because you won't have to spend so many rounds blading, which gives your opponent a lower chance to kill you. Overall, just blade every round and hit as soon as you think you will kill. Never waste time, as that will only hurt yourself!

STORM
Storm is very similar to fire in the sense of how easy or hard it is to solo. Just like fire, they don't have too much health or defense to keep them alive very long, which is why it is important to never waste time. Just like fire, every round before the hit should be blades, blades, blades. When you think you can kill, hit. They too need good gear for their level so they can hit harder, wasting less rounds blading. Overall, storm is extremely similar to fire when it comes to soloing. Just hit fast and don't waste any time.

MYTH
Myth definitely isn't the worst school to solo with, but also isn't the best. They don't really have too much resist or defense, and their spells don't quite do enough damage to go with the "don't waste any time just blade" strategy. No, myth needs to take a different approach, using specific attack spells at specific times. I'm sure that the main focus of this guide is to educate people on how to solo cheating bosses, right? Well, myth is the school that has spells that can greatly bypass a few cheats. They won't be slowed down by shields, since they have shatter. It's always good as a myth to carry shatter, even if you don't have it yet. Just carry a tc of it. Myth has various stun spells, and they can also use treasure card shields to shield themselves if they so wish. Because myth has spells like shatter, they won't be slowed down by certain cheats, so they can finish the battle faster greatly reducing the chance of dying. (They also have spells like mystic colossus that remove a shield BEFORE hitting.) overall, as a myth it's important to use the right spells at the right time, and to carefully utilize treasure cards.

LIFE
Life is an easy school to solo as. They obviously have tons of healing spells that keep them alive, but they don't have much damage. As a life, you should take a different approach to soloing. You should take your time. Most schools should try to hit as fast as they can, but since you can heal yourself as a life, you have much more time to plan out an attack and stay alive. Make sure that your hit kills in one hit as a life, to make the battle shorter. But if it doesn't kill don't panic, because you can stay alive pretty easy and prepare another hit.

Overall, these are the basics that any Wizard101 player can use for soloing. Really hope this helped someone! If anyone needs help with something, just comment a true friend code (or a time and a place) and I will be happy to help you. Happy soloing!

Survivor
May 27, 2018
For me, as a Myth, I've never had more fun soloing. Maybe it's just the OP early game gear I have, but for me with minions, strong attack spells like cyclops, blade and traps early on, etc. make this my favorite questing school.

I don't think you should main shatter personally when you first get it since you can always use a wand hit to get a shield off or have your minion do it for you.

I think for late game ice is certainly the hardest, meanwhile Storm is so frail it is the hardest all around, no matter what stage you are at. As someone who mained a storm in the past, it certainly is difficult with little payoff IMO.

Even as a storm, I don't remember being able to kill the boss in like 2 or 3 rounds, though maybe I wasn't playing properly back then. Either way, Myth is my favorite and my recommendation!

Survivor
Aug 29, 2014
YourAverageBro on Mar 26, 2021 wrote:
For me, as a Myth, I've never had more fun soloing. Maybe it's just the OP early game gear I have, but for me with minions, strong attack spells like cyclops, blade and traps early on, etc. make this my favorite questing school.

I don't think you should main shatter personally when you first get it since you can always use a wand hit to get a shield off or have your minion do it for you.

I think for late game ice is certainly the hardest, meanwhile Storm is so frail it is the hardest all around, no matter what stage you are at. As someone who mained a storm in the past, it certainly is difficult with little payoff IMO.

Even as a storm, I don't remember being able to kill the boss in like 2 or 3 rounds, though maybe I wasn't playing properly back then. Either way, Myth is my favorite and my recommendation!
I agree! Even though storm thrives in a team setting, soloing as a storm can be a nightmare!