Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Kiosk gave me a pet I can't equip - is this a glitch?

AuthorMessage
Squire
Jul 09, 2010
Today I hatched a Crystal Butterfly with a KIOSK Borealis Golem and received a Shivering Egg that shows a baby card of the ice armor. The wiki doesn't list a hybrid like that. I believe it means I received a Borealis Golem egg.

The problem is I don't have an ice character and one of the fan sites shows it in the same lineup as the green kookabura -- which only my Life character can equip.

When I first started playing I read repeatedly that we wouldn't receive eggs we couldn't equip. When it happened to me in the hatchery over and over again, I thought it was because the game knew that my hatching character couldn't equip that pet, but some character on my account could.

This is the first time I've gotten an Ice School pet, so I didn't know that the rule wasn't working.

Does anyone know if the Borealis are actually universally equippable OR what I'm supposed to do with this thing? I don't want to delete a character just to train it to adult and hatch back to my butterfly.

The hatching interfaces need to be changed to add a warning not that the character cant equip - but that only whatever school or level CAN. But I'm hoping that it wouldn't apply here and this thing is actually equippable.

Squire
Jul 09, 2010
Helenie Nightseer on Jan 10, 2021 wrote:
Today I hatched a Crystal Butterfly with a KIOSK Borealis Golem and received a Shivering Egg that shows a baby card of the ice armor. The wiki doesn't list a hybrid like that. I believe it means I received a Borealis Golem egg.

The problem is I don't have an ice character and one of the fan sites shows it in the same lineup as the green kookabura -- which only my Life character can equip.

When I first started playing I read repeatedly that we wouldn't receive eggs we couldn't equip. When it happened to me in the hatchery over and over again, I thought it was because the game knew that my hatching character couldn't equip that pet, but some character on my account could.

This is the first time I've gotten an Ice School pet, so I didn't know that the rule wasn't working.

Does anyone know if the Borealis are actually universally equippable OR what I'm supposed to do with this thing? I don't want to delete a character just to train it to adult and hatch back to my butterfly.

The hatching interfaces need to be changed to add a warning not that the character cant equip - but that only whatever school or level CAN. But I'm hoping that it wouldn't apply here and this thing is actually equippable.
To be clear - when you are in the general browsing section a warning is present when you hover to click on a species.

If you arrive at pet cards for hatching via the Search talent system OR via the Browse by Pedigree function -- the individual pet cards to hatch with do not have a warning - and you don't see the other one because all the species are mixed.

Squire
Jul 09, 2010
** and no - it wasn't a hybrid - I can't equip this thing.

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
"When I first started playing I read repeatedly that we wouldn't receive eggs we couldn't equip."

That was true for years, but isn't now. When the kiosk was introduced, the school filters for hatching were lifted, but the restrictions on equipping were not. It's an awful waste. I wish KI would restore the filter.

Defender
May 11, 2013
Gemma Luna on Jan 14, 2021 wrote:
"When I first started playing I read repeatedly that we wouldn't receive eggs we couldn't equip."

That was true for years, but isn't now. When the kiosk was introduced, the school filters for hatching were lifted, but the restrictions on equipping were not. It's an awful waste. I wish KI would restore the filter.
I vote no because it made it abuseable to get what you wanted every time.

Squire
Jul 09, 2010
RedDragon877 on Jan 20, 2021 wrote:
With the level of randomness and the number of times we have to hatch just to raise our numbers and to get the right combination of talents on a pet - I can't see ANY reason why it wouldn't be ok to do something - in game - to better our chances of getting at least part of our desired combo. Given the arduousness of the pet system, once in a while having a guarantee of at least the right species doesn't seem like a lot to ask.

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
RedDragon877 on Jan 20, 2021 wrote:
That doesn't make sense, unless you mean you would get back a pet you already had, which is not "abuse". There's no way to automatically get a pet you don't have.

Force hatching common for years, and not an exploit.

Defender
May 11, 2013
Gemma Luna on Jan 24, 2021 wrote:
That doesn't make sense, unless you mean you would get back a pet you already had, which is not "abuse". There's no way to automatically get a pet you don't have.

Force hatching common for years, and not an exploit.
Just because something is "Common" does not mean it is not an Exploit. Also it made perfect sense, You use a pet you can't equip and hatch with one you can, but don't have you get the one you want, as long as it is not a hybrid. Did not think it was hard to understand.

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
RedDragon877 on Jan 26, 2021 wrote:
Just because something is "Common" does not mean it is not an Exploit. Also it made perfect sense, You use a pet you can't equip and hatch with one you can, but don't have you get the one you want, as long as it is not a hybrid. Did not think it was hard to understand.
It was not an exploit. KI was aware of the practice, and had never objected. The change was expressly made so an individual player could collect every hatchable pet, not to prevent "force" hatching. They said so.

What you've said above still does not make sense. It is not true. If you use a pet you can't equip, you can still get it back in a hatch. There is no automatic way to get a pet you don't have.

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
"You use a pet you can't equip and hatch with one you can, but don't have you get the one you want, as long as it is not a hybrid."

It never worked that way.

You could always get the pet you offered, even if you couldn't equip it. What changed was the ability to get a previously school-exclusive pet from the kiosk or another player.