Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pip restrictions for lower levels

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 09, 2017
This idea is to prevent lower levels from using high rank TC.

There should be a pip limit for lower levels, gradually increasing as they level up. For example, levels 1 - 9 have 3 pip slots instead of the original 7. Levels 10 - 15 have 4. Levels 16 - 21 have 5. Levels 22 - 33 have 6. Levels 34 - 48 have 7.

For higher levels, the current pip slot of 7 pips could be increased to allow for more combo plays with higher rank spells

Survivor
Apr 27, 2009
I don't think this is a good idea because how are Ice wizards going to build up pips for spells like X amount of spells like Ice Armor while they're spamming tower shields on allies? Flat resist is really important early on in the game. How about Balance wizards who need to build up pips for Judgement when they're slowly increasing their base damage? Balance doesn't have a comparable spell that is great for one big hit. I do believe we should still maximize our use of pips, but a level restriction seems to be a more efficient way of achieving this.

Survivor
Jun 06, 2017
TheOneWaye on Dec 26, 2020 wrote:
This idea is to prevent lower levels from using high rank TC.

There should be a pip limit for lower levels, gradually increasing as they level up. For example, levels 1 - 9 have 3 pip slots instead of the original 7. Levels 10 - 15 have 4. Levels 16 - 21 have 5. Levels 22 - 33 have 6. Levels 34 - 48 have 7.

For higher levels, the current pip slot of 7 pips could be increased to allow for more combo plays with higher rank spells
I completely disagree with this approach.

I assume this is targeting low-level PvP with the end-result limiting the TCs that Wizards can use thus making the match more "fair". If this is the case, here is why this is a bad idea:

1.) Limiting the number of pips that a wizard can accumulate because of their level takes away the crucial ability to chain spells together. Theoretically speaking, a wizard that is level one to nine will only be able to get three total pips, or if they have power-pip chance from their gear, six pips for their school to work with. This limits the number of ways a player can out-maneuver their opponents at this level of play making for less variety and creativity at these levels.
2.) This is basically an extension of my first point: Alongside the pip limits, players will be limited in the number of spells they can utilize as well. This is devastating as the most creative builds and playstyles are ironically found at the earliest levels. This isn't to say there aren't creative builds in end-game PvP, just far less.

If this is targeted at PvE, I do not understand why. I believe that, in most games, the PvE experience should be, relative to PvP and interspersed challenges throughout the game, mostly casual and fun to go through. I stand by the fact that Wizard101 should contain "PvE Only" sets that give your wizards an extreme influx of stats such as massive damage numbers, resistances--including stun resist, critical, block, pierce, health etc. such that the PvE experience is as crazy and fun as you would expect an end-game MMO to look like. Particles everywhere, high-level spells being spammed, among a myriad of different things that could be included. Of course, I would also like the occasional challenge, such as end-of-world, end-of-arc, or optional dungeons and bosses to be adjusted such that, despite the insane stats on this "PvE Only" gear, it's still an fast-paced, high-intensity challenge instead of the "this boss is going to one-shot you by doing 10,000 damage to the entire team every two rounds unless there's a bad juju on him as well as spamming only shadow spells so that you can't actually use any "set" shields, dispels, or other spells to defend against it in an efficient way and the only way to win is by ending the fight as fast as humanly possible all the while avoiding any potential thinking or strategy in this strategy card-based MMORPG." Of course, players hate dragging fights out because they want to bolster their odds of getting drops, this could be circumvented if KI added a mechanic where after x number of wins against a boss without getting a top-tier drop you would be guaranteed a random top-tier drop. However, I have digressed.

TL;DR: Back to the original point, I would say that it makes no sense whatsoever to inhibit a player's ability to build up pips as that retroactively inhibits the amount of creativity and variety you would be able to explore in both PvP and PvE. This suggestion seems to be only an arbitrary restriction targeting low-level gameplay that would only end up taking away from the game's potential.

As for the idea of increasingly the amount of pips that can be built up... well, the spamming of a large number of spells that were never intended to be spammed would certainly ensue with such a change to the game.

I mean no disrespect when criticizing this suggestion, however, I can only see this creating more problems than it potentially fixes.