Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

It's Time for a Combat System Renovation

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 28, 2011
Hi there,

I recently came back to Wizard101 after years of playing games like League, Destiny, WOW, etc., and I have to say that I now find the combat system egregiously slow and boring. What once made the game fun was the new spells and the new animations, but now I've found that I'm just counting the seconds for each animation to pass. In Khrysalis, some street-mob fights take upwards of 4 or 5 minutes each between blading, amassing pips, any prisms necessary, and hitting. My increased impatience for slow turn-based combat systems like those of Wizard101 have been a huge turnoff.

I talked to many of my friend who used to play and tried again recently and they all mentioned this issue as well.

KINGSISLE – I LOVE your game and the wonderful, quirky, magical world you've designed, yet I find myself bored out of my mind every time I revisit the game. PLEASE rework the combat system to something like WOW! It would work wonders for the game and could be a big reboot to the game's popularity.

I understand the associated costs and effort of redesigning this system. But as a seasoned player and up-to-date video gamer, I'm telling you failure to change this combat system will kill your game.

Best,
A die-hard W101 fan

Survivor
Jan 26, 2018
No sir. The turn-card-based combat system is what makes Wizard101, Wizard101. You cannot make it similar to WOW. Their PvP is just spam spam with like no strategy involved.

Survivor
Jul 28, 2011
The turn-based combat system will be the end of Wizard101. Every fight takes too long in animations, every single fight in the game is telegraphed the same way, and it's frankly out-of-this-world outdated and boring. I'm a diehard fan with 2 level 110+ wizards but I just cannot return to the game. I end up pulling out my phone during every battle and it just becomes a chore.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
obersin on Apr 21, 2020 wrote:
Hi there,

I recently came back to Wizard101 after years of playing games like League, Destiny, WOW, etc., and I have to say that I now find the combat system egregiously slow and boring. What once made the game fun was the new spells and the new animations, but now I've found that I'm just counting the seconds for each animation to pass. In Khrysalis, some street-mob fights take upwards of 4 or 5 minutes each between blading, amassing pips, any prisms necessary, and hitting. My increased impatience for slow turn-based combat systems like those of Wizard101 have been a huge turnoff.

I talked to many of my friend who used to play and tried again recently and they all mentioned this issue as well.

KINGSISLE – I LOVE your game and the wonderful, quirky, magical world you've designed, yet I find myself bored out of my mind every time I revisit the game. PLEASE rework the combat system to something like WOW! It would work wonders for the game and could be a big reboot to the game's popularity.

I understand the associated costs and effort of redesigning this system. But as a seasoned player and up-to-date video gamer, I'm telling you failure to change this combat system will kill your game.

Best,
A die-hard W101 fan
Frankly, I prefer the slow, relaxed atmosphere. I have play some of those games and came back to W101 because of the fast pace those games expressed.

Why is it every time a player has been playing WOW or one of the other COMBAT games, comes back here expecting the same type of atmosphere or insisting KI change it or kill the game.

I don't care how seasoned or how up-to-date of a video gamer you are, this game was designed for KIDS initially. If this game becomes another WOW or anywhere similar, my grandson and many other young kids will be right back in the same boat they were in when this game was created. WoW is NOT a Game for YOUNG players under 12-13.

There is no way I would let my grandson play any of those games. I certainly won't allow those games in my home. I do have younger children living here as well and anything that promotes the type of violence those games do won't be played. When I played them, it was to find out what kind of games they were and have NOT played them since grandchildren live with me.

Survivor
Mar 18, 2016
DeathDefyinDemon on Apr 22, 2020 wrote:
No sir. The turn-card-based combat system is what makes Wizard101, Wizard101. You cannot make it similar to WOW. Their PvP is just spam spam with like no strategy involved.
That simply isn't true, it's a tab based combat system, which once you get higher levels, requires more strategy than you'd even find in wizard101, in PVP and in the raids. Depending on what role you're playing at least, a controller can certainly just spam moves like polymorph over and over, but since it does no damage, it's not exactly a pvp spell in the slightest unless you have someone to swoop in and get the hit for both of you which would still require strategy.

Survivor
Mar 18, 2016
DragonLady1818 on Apr 22, 2020 wrote:
Frankly, I prefer the slow, relaxed atmosphere. I have play some of those games and came back to W101 because of the fast pace those games expressed.

Why is it every time a player has been playing WOW or one of the other COMBAT games, comes back here expecting the same type of atmosphere or insisting KI change it or kill the game.

I don't care how seasoned or how up-to-date of a video gamer you are, this game was designed for KIDS initially. If this game becomes another WOW or anywhere similar, my grandson and many other young kids will be right back in the same boat they were in when this game was created. WoW is NOT a Game for YOUNG players under 12-13.

There is no way I would let my grandson play any of those games. I certainly won't allow those games in my home. I do have younger children living here as well and anything that promotes the type of violence those games do won't be played. When I played them, it was to find out what kind of games they were and have NOT played them since grandchildren live with me.
Why?