Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Passive/Talent System???

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 22, 2009
I have been playing this game on and off since 2008. Recently I have seen tons of changes to how the game is played and steps the team is making to improve upon the game. A suggestion I had thought of was to bring in a system where each wizard/student has a talent system they can progress upon that is always active and a passive effect to make your wizard stronger.

Basics
First thing first it should be worth letting the reader know that Kingsisle has set up some sort of class "Identity" since the beginning of the game. I personally think this "Identity" has been lost and there is very little care on the players side to play a school in certain way. These "Identities" are as such...

Balance - Universal Support (Mixture of all classes in a way)
Ice - The "Tank" (High health, low attack)
Death - Health Steal
Fire - DoT (Damage over Time)
Myth - Minions and Ward Manipulation
Life - Healer
Storm - Burst Damage and Charm Manipulation (low health, low accuracy)

I think on paper this gives each and every school a niche that a player can enjoy in their own right. However, currently there is an issue...

Problems
These class identities are mostly gone. Just think, when do you see a myth player actually use a minion summon spell at level 130. Anyone can now tank, if you have the right gear (yes, even storm). Everyone can hit high numbers, if you have the right gear (yes, even ice). Why would fire use a DoT when they can just defeat an enemy in one turn with a burst spell? The thought is "Why pick school B, when school A can do it better? I'll just pick school A then."

This is why I think a talent/passive effect system could greatly increase a players niche and their identity in a school of magic. I think it brings each school in a new light

The System Idea
My idea is pretty simple when getting down to it. Every 10 levels the player will get to pick a talent/passive that will increase the players wizards power as they progress in the game. (Warning: These ideas could be over the top or a little bit lack luster. I do not claim to know what is best, just a thought.)

Every 10 levels a player gets to pick from once of 2 or 3 talents for that level. It can be broken down as such...

Every 10 levels - simple, easy not defining talent (A stat boost for example in damage,resistance,accuracy, etc.)
Every 30 levels - Instead of level 10 talent, you choose a new card that fits a certain niche of that school. My thought is that there would be an accompanying quest to go along with it and at the end you learn one of the spells presented.
Every 50 levels - Instead of level 10 talent, the player choose a defining talent that ultimately sets up how the player will play their character...

For example, a Myth player just turns level 50. They get a notification that lets them pick a new talent.

Option 1: "You may no longer cast 'summon minion' type spells, instead all your minion cards now become attack spells"
Option 2: "Your Bloodbat, Troll, Cyclops, and Minotaur also summon a minion (of the type of spell, troll summons a troll minion), but they cost 1 more pip."

This notification will be from your teacher and once you read it you will have to go to your teacher to learn this new talent. When you go to him/her you will be sent of a quest to increase your power.

Conclusion
I realize this may be wordy and may just be a bit to much. But, I do truly believe that school identity is lost in this game in its current state. I find myself wanting to play other schools but in reality most schools can do the same thing with some minor tech cards that aren't even used. Let me know what you other wizards think. I am curious on your feedback. Until then...

-Seth Icerider

Defender
Feb 26, 2012
it8fun23 on Apr 14, 2020 wrote:
I have been playing this game on and off since 2008. Recently I have seen tons of changes to how the game is played and steps the team is making to improve upon the game. A suggestion I had thought of was to bring in a system where each wizard/student has a talent system they can progress upon that is always active and a passive effect to make your wizard stronger.

Basics
First thing first it should be worth letting the reader know that Kingsisle has set up some sort of class "Identity" since the beginning of the game. I personally think this "Identity" has been lost and there is very little care on the players side to play a school in certain way. These "Identities" are as such...

Balance - Universal Support (Mixture of all classes in a way)
Ice - The "Tank" (High health, low attack)
Death - Health Steal
Fire - DoT (Damage over Time)
Myth - Minions and Ward Manipulation
Life - Healer
Storm - Burst Damage and Charm Manipulation (low health, low accuracy)

I think on paper this gives each and every school a niche that a player can enjoy in their own right. However, currently there is an issue...

Problems
These class identities are mostly gone. Just think, when do you see a myth player actually use a minion summon spell at level 130. Anyone can now tank, if you have the right gear (yes, even storm). Everyone can hit high numbers, if you have the right gear (yes, even ice). Why would fire use a DoT when they can just defeat an enemy in one turn with a burst spell? The thought is "Why pick school B, when school A can do it better? I'll just pick school A then."

This is why I think a talent/passive effect system could greatly increase a players niche and their identity in a school of magic. I think it brings each school in a new light

The System Idea
My idea is pretty simple when getting down to it. Every 10 levels the player will get to pick a talent/passive that will increase the players wizards power as they progress in the game. (Warning: These ideas could be over the top or a little bit lack luster. I do not claim to know what is best, just a thought.)

Every 10 levels a player gets to pick from once of 2 or 3 talents for that level. It can be broken down as such...

Every 10 levels - simple, easy not defining talent (A stat boost for example in damage,resistance,accuracy, etc.)
Every 30 levels - Instead of level 10 talent, you choose a new card that fits a certain niche of that school. My thought is that there would be an accompanying quest to go along with it and at the end you learn one of the spells presented.
Every 50 levels - Instead of level 10 talent, the player choose a defining talent that ultimately sets up how the player will play their character...

For example, a Myth player just turns level 50. They get a notification that lets them pick a new talent.

Option 1: "You may no longer cast 'summon minion' type spells, instead all your minion cards now become attack spells"
Option 2: "Your Bloodbat, Troll, Cyclops, and Minotaur also summon a minion (of the type of spell, troll summons a troll minion), but they cost 1 more pip."

This notification will be from your teacher and once you read it you will have to go to your teacher to learn this new talent. When you go to him/her you will be sent of a quest to increase your power.

Conclusion
I realize this may be wordy and may just be a bit to much. But, I do truly believe that school identity is lost in this game in its current state. I find myself wanting to play other schools but in reality most schools can do the same thing with some minor tech cards that aren't even used. Let me know what you other wizards think. I am curious on your feedback. Until then...

-Seth Icerider
Your idea sounds a lot like a mix between the recent spellements system and the talent levels for combat companions seen in Pirate 101.

Either way this is an interesting proposal.