Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Mid Level Side Content (Celestian Chariot Racing)

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 09, 2010
As hinted before in my previous suggestion "Low Level Side Content (Photomancy & Mail)" comes a sizable Mid-game level suggestion. Likewise, this idea will be expanded on in future posts, so stay tuned.

Premise:
With the framework in place for regular events (Beastmoon, Deckathalon, etc.) I think it's finally possible for some of the ideas I had for mid-game events to be incorporated. The goal I had in mind when coming up with these ideas was to provide for more incentives for players to play past the first story arc and to provide some mid-level activities for players to do while they quest in Arc 2. I'll dive into each topic individually, but the two main topics I had in mind were Celestian Chariot Racing and Polymorph pvp, or Polymorph vs Polymorph. For the subject of this post, I'll focus on Celestian Chariot Racing.

Celestian Chariot Racing:
This idea came out of the idea of pet derby races. It's a really neat game mode that's sadly fallen into obscurity. If you're ever trying to queue for a derby there's rarely anyone competing anymore. The game mode would work similar to derby, but players would be working both against and with their fellow players. This event would also be limited to those who have quested in and completed Celestia.
Teams:
When the event begins, players are either assigned or get to choose a team to play for. These teams would be Sun, Moon, and Star. Players would be on that team until the end of the event, and when the event begins anew the teams are reassigned. To prevent one team or one group of players from constantly winning, when the event returns, players from the winning team should get randomly assigned a team or split evenly between the 3 teams.

Gameplay:
Players would be in similarly styled arenas to the derby, but arenas would be based off of Celestia, and maybe eventually the other worlds of the second arc. They would also need to have room for other players to spectate matches. The goal would be for players to complete the race and win points for their team, as well as themselves. They would do this by winning the race or performing stunts (jumping over or ducking under obstacles, bumping into other players, etc). But more aspects come in to play based on a player's mount.

Mounts:
Players would be racing the mount they have equipped when they queue for the race. Mounts would get some pet-like derby stats added to them (better cheering on X, more points for doing a stunt, etc). This would be a gradual process, maybe starting with mounts purchasable by gold first and expanding as it gains more popularity. And it raises some interesting possibilities, like training mounts for the races, or areas of possible future expansion by making other aspects of a mount trainable (speed stat, or a minor sub 5% single stat buff).

Additionally, an existing problem the game has with rental mounts could be solved here by giving rental mounts extra slots for abilities or higher than permanent mount stats for racing. This woulds slightly incentivize using rental mounts, but they would expire in the time it takes for the event to happen a second time. Permanent mounts would still see use from their ability to use them over and over again.

Cheering / Abilities:
Players should have team specific abilities to give some uniqueness and freshness when playing each time. Abilities could range from polymorphing yourself into a faster chariot or polymorphing someone else into a slower one as Team Moon, or giving yourself an aura speed boost or an aura debuff as Team Star.

There are two methods for possibly doing this, one being players can purchase or maybe even craft special robes just for the event, like how horse racing jockeys wear special team jerseys. The second way could be through training your mount or slotting a gem into your mount's collar. Either way these should be fun reflections of the Sun / Moon / Star schools.

Prizes:
The team that gets the most number of points by either performing the best or winning races gets the grand prize (whatever it may be) and the other teams will get similar (not as grand) prizes.

Individually, players will also get rewards for completing races, such as reagents for crafting specially themed Sun, Moon, and Star casting symbol and dervish mounts like those that already exist for our 7 schools. Rewards could also include spellements for Arc 1 spells or for spells like the Sun / Moon / Star tri blades.

In short:
  • Add Celestian Chariot (Mount) racing where players can race their mounts similar to Pet Derby.
  • Incentivize players to reach level 60, where they would unlock this activity.
  • Add prizes that allow players to get excited about competing alongside and against other wizards. (Spellements, craftable mounts, possibly Astral themed spells.)
  • Give players new crafting opportunities for vanity / function-able gear. (Jockey gear)
  • Let players train their mounts for racing which would give more use besides aesthetic and combat stats.
  • Give bonuses to rental mounts to see players use them more.