Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Ideas for new School Based Shadow Spells.

AuthorMessage
Delver
Jun 14, 2010
So today was my day off and I decided I had nothing better to do than think about Wizard101. I had this idea come to me and I think it's pretty cool and I want to know what other people think.

So here goes, what if there were shadow school spells that were tuned to enhance the powers of the other schools?

I'm not talking about shadow pip attack spells I'm talking about a transformation like Shadow Sentinel, Seraph, or Shrike but one that is tuned for a specific school like .

I had some ideas about what theses transformations might do and what they would be called. I tried to tailor them to all-around use, both in pvp ad pve. I'm not going to include exact numbers since I'm not a big-time player and thus I couldn't speak for these being perfectly balanced with or without the numbers.

Basically, I had the idea of what if wizards could take on the shadowy form of an aspect or creature related to their school? So because of that, I tried to keep an epic and mysterious vibe in mind. A spell that's at the edge of power becoming its own master, where the only question is do you have the will to command it?

Given the nature of the current endgame and the difficulty of some bosses and mobs, I wanted these to be spells worth chasing and maybe help even the playing field (especially for the solo players out there). I also wanted to work in the spell writing system. So what if these spells didn't start off with all the aforementioned 'perks' and rather these extra 'perks' could be acquired over time through the Spell Writing system?

Keep this in mind though: these spells would most likely be accessible to high level endgame players. Tell me what you guys think and whether they'd work with in-game strategies.

Anyway, let's get to the good stuff. I tried to take into consideration each school's most notable features and apply the buffs and drawbacks as necessary.

Fire: Shadow of the Dragon

Fire School Only
Cost 1 shadow pip (Adds additional shadow pip cost for every Perk added, so would cost 3 shadow pip for fully upgraded spell)
Duration 4 rounds
  • Draconic Inferno: Greatly Increases All Outgoing DoT damage.
  • Perk 1: Dragon's Devastation: Increases AOE damage
  • Perk 2: Dragon's Might: Slightly Increases Critical Chance

Drawbacks
  • Pheonix Fire: Decreases Incoming Healing
  • Dragon's Bane: Vulnerable to Incoming Ice Damage

Ice: Shadow of the Giant

Ice School Only

Cost 1 shadow pip (Adds additional shadow pip cost for every Perk added)

Duration 4 Rounds

Giant's Vengeance: Incoming Damage Greatly Increases Outgoing Damage (Take Damage to Do More Damage)
Perk 1: Giant's Mockery: All Outgoing Attacks Taunt Target(s)
Perk 2: Giant's Fortitude: Slightly Increases All resistances (Including stun resistance)

Drawbacks

Berserker's Rampage: Outgoing Damage Has A Chance to Hit Ally (Note: Cannot Hit Self)
Giant's Bane: Vulnerable to Incoming Fire Damage

Storm: Shadow of the Triton

Storm School Only

Cost 1 shadow pip (Adds additional shadow pip cost for every Perk added)

Duration 4 Rounds

Triton's Strength: Greatly Increases Single Target Damage

Perk 1: Triton's Fury: Increases AOE Damage
Perk 2: Triton's Precision: Slightly Increases Accuracy

Drawbacks

Exhaustion: Stunned After Transformation ends
Triton's Bane: Vulnerable to Incoming Myth Damage

Myth: Shadow of the Monstrosity

Myth School Only
Cost 1 Shadow Pip (Adds additional shadow pip cost for every Perk added)
Duration 4 rounds

Monstrous Power: Greatly Increases Outgoing damage
Perk 1: Monstrous Shriek: Outgoing attacks have a chance to stun targets
Perk 2: Monstrous Rampage: Outgoing attacks have a chance to remove all positives from targets.

Drawbacks

Exhaustion: Stunned After Transformation Ends
Monster Hunter: Vulnerable to Incoming Storm Damage

Life: Shadow of the Fey

Life School Only
Duration 4 rounds

Fey Vengeance: Healing Allies Greatly Increases Outgoing Damage (The more you heal the more damage you)
Perk 1: Fey Mischief: Outgoing attacks have a chance to change a target's positives to negatives
Perk 2: Fey Enchantment: Outgoing attacks have a chance to beguiled targets, beguiled targets attack each other (Note does not work on Allies so healing spells and other positives won't beguile allies)

Drawbacks

Engrossment: Lowers Accuracy
Fey Bane: Vulnerable to Incoming Death Damage

Death: Shadow of the Lich

Death School Only
Duration 4 rounds

Lich's Drain: Increases Outgoing damage on all Health Draining Spells (e.i. Vampire, wraith etc...)
Perk 1: Lich's Blight: DoT spells last an extra round
Perk 2: Lich's Phylactery: If the caster is defeated, the spell ends but the caster is restored to 20% health

Drawbacks:

Banishing Light: Incoming Healing from sources other than Death spells have the opposite effect (so they do damage instead of heal)
Lich's Bane: Vulnerable to incoming Life damage

Balance: 7th Shade

Balance School Only
Duration 4 rounds

Dark Magic: Greatly Increases the effects of all positive effect spells (more powerful charms, wards, heals, etc...)
Perk 1: Dark Power: Increases All Outgoing Damage
Perk 2: Dark Vigor: Gain an Extra pip every round (so instead of getting one pip/ power pip each round you'd get two)
Drawbacks
Mana Burn: All unexpended pips are lost when the spell ends
Exhaustion: Stunned when transformation ends

So that's everything I could think of. Tell me what you guys think of these. Could these actually work? Or would thy completely destroy the game? I'd love to hear some feedback, no nastiness, we're all humans here, please be civil. Thanks!

Defender
Feb 26, 2012
An interesting set of ideas. Though I'm not sure if boosting specific kinds of damage spells would work well.

Delver
Jun 14, 2010
rusher2828 on Dec 17, 2019 wrote:
An interesting set of ideas. Though I'm not sure if boosting specific kinds of damage spells would work well.
Boosting the damage of specific spell types is basically what keeps the Fire and Storm spell from doing the same thing.

It's also meant to cater to each school's play style and unique features.

For example, Fire by far has the most DoT, and AOE spells when it comes to attacking its hard for any Fire Wizard not to cast an attack spell that isn't either a DoT, AOE, or both. Thus most Fire School playstyles would benefit from a spell that boosted Dot and AOE damage.

While on the other hand, Storm tends is a bit more of a finesse fighter. Focusing on hard-hitting single-target spells for most part. Storm only has 3 attacking AOE spells, however, those AOE spells are commonly used in most Storm decks. But the low accuracy can be a pain for some, so accuracy boost would be a welcome help no?