Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Setters are ruining tournaments

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 10, 2014
Setters are people who spy on other matches and set by spamming single school shields because they lack literal pvp skill. I'm a death wizard and death is already a struggle in quickmatch 1v1s compared to more powerful schools such as fire and storm. I can name plenty of people who constantly do 1v1s only to come set with death shields such as Wolf GhostRider who does every 1v1 and has been complained to by my friends. Melissa BattleBlood sets as well and it just is extremely unfair to see the constant same people gain 1st or 2nd place when they unrightfully deserve it by ultimately cheating and spying on other tournaments. I could do the same but I choose not to as I'd rather play fairly and not know who I'll be getting next. You may think these people come just prepared but they don't because who packs single school shields in their deck with a chance they won't get that specific school? This is just making tournaments very unenjoyable and I say it again, these people do not deserve 1st place to cheat their way through like this and I hope you can fix this issue such as banning single school shields or better yet, not letting people spy or see who they'll be getting next match.

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
I have to agree with you here, people see setting as smart, I see it as unethical. Would love to see how these people would perform without it.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
sammysns on Apr 30, 2019 wrote:
Setters are people who spy on other matches and set by spamming single school shields because they lack literal pvp skill. I'm a death wizard and death is already a struggle in quickmatch 1v1s compared to more powerful schools such as fire and storm. I can name plenty of people who constantly do 1v1s only to come set with death shields such as Wolf GhostRider who does every 1v1 and has been complained to by my friends. Melissa BattleBlood sets as well and it just is extremely unfair to see the constant same people gain 1st or 2nd place when they unrightfully deserve it by ultimately cheating and spying on other tournaments. I could do the same but I choose not to as I'd rather play fairly and not know who I'll be getting next. You may think these people come just prepared but they don't because who packs single school shields in their deck with a chance they won't get that specific school? This is just making tournaments very unenjoyable and I say it again, these people do not deserve 1st place to cheat their way through like this and I hope you can fix this issue such as banning single school shields or better yet, not letting people spy or see who they'll be getting next match.
PVP skills? ironic lol so you think setting is bad? what about set shields -75% what about ward pets that gives you 70+ resist what about the spell brace? First thing i notice you said you were death. Now assuming everyone walks with at least 3 set shields for each school like me depending on your positioning if you were second against fire or storm or even ice primarily id say your at a very major dis advantage. Its a very complicated situation and id advise you to walk with weakness mantles and dispels. Other than that am not sure what to say about going second as someone once told me just deal with it. By the way every "try hard warlord" comes prepared in pvp just saying.

Delver
Aug 10, 2010
So, when your favorite sports team watches their next opponents previous games to find weaknesses that can be exploited and strengths to avoid, are they cheating? Or, being smart and getting prepared?

Knowing your opponent is a valuable lesson that you're better off learning here in a fantasy world where you will lose some points or some imaginary award rather than in the real world where not knowing can cost you your job, your home or even your life.

Survivor
Sep 10, 2014
angellifeheart on May 2, 2019 wrote:
PVP skills? ironic lol so you think setting is bad? what about set shields -75% what about ward pets that gives you 70+ resist what about the spell brace? First thing i notice you said you were death. Now assuming everyone walks with at least 3 set shields for each school like me depending on your positioning if you were second against fire or storm or even ice primarily id say your at a very major dis advantage. Its a very complicated situation and id advise you to walk with weakness mantles and dispels. Other than that am not sure what to say about going second as someone once told me just deal with it. By the way every "try hard warlord" comes prepared in pvp just saying.
A fire can simply just fire elf set shields, they have it way easier compared to schools like death and fire. These people who spam single -85% death shields at me don't come prepared, they literally come set and do this for their next opponent so it's irritating seeing them undeservedly gain 1st place when people like me only can feel accomplished getting 2nd place cause it feels much more deserving going into a match not knowing who you'll get and winning it because you towered and actually used skill than cheating your way. If someone beats me fairly by critting on me and never had to set then I'm cool with it and just have to deal with it but going second and being spammed -85% death shields is just no.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
You know, it seems that every so often, there are new exploits that people use to again add to the issues and unfarity to PvP.

It seems a probable solution to this would be what? Limit the shields in decks?

Not many solutions exists to solve this exploit.

Survivor
Sep 10, 2014
Timothy Lionstalke... on May 3, 2019 wrote:
So, when your favorite sports team watches their next opponents previous games to find weaknesses that can be exploited and strengths to avoid, are they cheating? Or, being smart and getting prepared?

Knowing your opponent is a valuable lesson that you're better off learning here in a fantasy world where you will lose some points or some imaginary award rather than in the real world where not knowing can cost you your job, your home or even your life.
there's worse things in life than me complaining about a game so stop complaining about me complaining

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
sammysns on May 3, 2019 wrote:
A fire can simply just fire elf set shields, they have it way easier compared to schools like death and fire. These people who spam single -85% death shields at me don't come prepared, they literally come set and do this for their next opponent so it's irritating seeing them undeservedly gain 1st place when people like me only can feel accomplished getting 2nd place cause it feels much more deserving going into a match not knowing who you'll get and winning it because you towered and actually used skill than cheating your way. If someone beats me fairly by critting on me and never had to set then I'm cool with it and just have to deal with it but going second and being spammed -85% death shields is just no.
Hmm so your saying neither parties should know who their opponents are statistically, in order to be prepared? Where is the unfairness in this? just because you don't go in prepared doesn't necessarily mean others shouldn't. If spamming set shields is an issue then perhaps jade gears and ward pets should also be considered a relatively issue because your necessarily setting for specific schools in order to have an advantage per say. What is skills in pvp? besides picking cards? what part of that is skills? ive played so many pvp matches and their is one thing many players have in common they shield before they hit or run damage overtime combos when their opponents stack shields or go for the wide open shadow hit whenever its possible. I don't agree that setting is called cheating because its an option both players have the ability to set shield and both parties should know what their up against.
The only advantage and disadvantage in pvp is RNG.( random number generator)

Survivor
Sep 10, 2014
angellifeheart on May 4, 2019 wrote:
Hmm so your saying neither parties should know who their opponents are statistically, in order to be prepared? Where is the unfairness in this? just because you don't go in prepared doesn't necessarily mean others shouldn't. If spamming set shields is an issue then perhaps jade gears and ward pets should also be considered a relatively issue because your necessarily setting for specific schools in order to have an advantage per say. What is skills in pvp? besides picking cards? what part of that is skills? ive played so many pvp matches and their is one thing many players have in common they shield before they hit or run damage overtime combos when their opponents stack shields or go for the wide open shadow hit whenever its possible. I don't agree that setting is called cheating because its an option both players have the ability to set shield and both parties should know what their up against.
The only advantage and disadvantage in pvp is RNG.( random number generator)
So explain to me how someone from a pip-dependent school like life can tackle being spammed multiple -85% life shields at them when life doesn't have a small pip overtime hit like fire does? PvP should be about equality that every school should get a chance in doing their best than be let down of being spammed single shield schools. People have called out dispel spamming in the past and that issue was fixed, so surely the same can go for setters. Coming prepared means having a mixture of volcanic shields, dream shields and tower shields in your deck. In rank pvp, you DON'T know who you'll get as your opponent so it's smarter to ensure your deck is prepared for any school so the same should go for tournaments. Coming set is just as desperate as people boosting their ranks on low level characters to gain warlord when there are people out there who put in much more time and effort to reach their place to the top of the boards than take the easy way out.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
sammysns on May 7, 2019 wrote:
So explain to me how someone from a pip-dependent school like life can tackle being spammed multiple -85% life shields at them when life doesn't have a small pip overtime hit like fire does? PvP should be about equality that every school should get a chance in doing their best than be let down of being spammed single shield schools. People have called out dispel spamming in the past and that issue was fixed, so surely the same can go for setters. Coming prepared means having a mixture of volcanic shields, dream shields and tower shields in your deck. In rank pvp, you DON'T know who you'll get as your opponent so it's smarter to ensure your deck is prepared for any school so the same should go for tournaments. Coming set is just as desperate as people boosting their ranks on low level characters to gain warlord when there are people out there who put in much more time and effort to reach their place to the top of the boards than take the easy way out.
Oh your not wrong and giving damage overtime to every school a useful 5 pip one the least would partially solve the problem.Either way am gonna tell you a good advice someone once told me if the enemy spams shields save ur pips for shatter which with cost at least 3 pips. Its worth it.

Survivor
Sep 10, 2014
angellifeheart on May 10, 2019 wrote:
Oh your not wrong and giving damage overtime to every school a useful 5 pip one the least would partially solve the problem.Either way am gonna tell you a good advice someone once told me if the enemy spams shields save ur pips for shatter which with cost at least 3 pips. Its worth it.
Shatter is worth it? Shout that out loud to the non-myth wizards. If people were to shatter, they'd lose 6 pips in a quickmatch and wouldn't have enough time to build pips back up before they lose. And before you say to just use myth mastery amulet, why should a lvl 100+ wiz sacrifice their crit and pierce for that? You mentioned that knowing your opponent is smart like in sport games so according to your logic, it's perfectly fine to ask the teacher in school what questions you'll get in an exam to come "prepared", then what would be the actual point of being there? You can sugarcoat setting as 'smart' and 'prepared' all you want, I see it for how it is, cheating, desperate and lame when it's boring and unfair to see the same people gaining top tier that they clearly do not deserve and there's so much ki can do to fix this.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
angellifeheart on May 10, 2019 wrote:
Shatter or Earthquake or Leviathan or anything thing that removes shields and blades.

Defender
Mar 10, 2014
If they are spamming -85 shields just convert and its over if your first lol.

Survivor
Sep 10, 2014
Fred Frost on May 13, 2019 wrote:
If they are spamming -85 shields just convert and its over if your first lol.
It's not even just -85% single shields, it's the duo ones like dream shields and that suggestion is invalid when it comes to life and death schools, whereas myth and storm have it easy when their prisms are far opposite from each other

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
sammysns on May 11, 2019 wrote:
Shatter is worth it? Shout that out loud to the non-myth wizards. If people were to shatter, they'd lose 6 pips in a quickmatch and wouldn't have enough time to build pips back up before they lose. And before you say to just use myth mastery amulet, why should a lvl 100+ wiz sacrifice their crit and pierce for that? You mentioned that knowing your opponent is smart like in sport games so according to your logic, it's perfectly fine to ask the teacher in school what questions you'll get in an exam to come "prepared", then what would be the actual point of being there? You can sugarcoat setting as 'smart' and 'prepared' all you want, I see it for how it is, cheating, desperate and lame when it's boring and unfair to see the same people gaining top tier that they clearly do not deserve and there's so much ki can do to fix this.
You could be putting up shields yourself while building up those pips, if you don't wish to prepare yourself with school shields, just use Tower shields ( anyone can train this or use TC ) Or even use a few "Strangles" to prevent those Death Shields? Or how about Black Mantle? ( 0 pip cost right there ).

What questions you get in an exam is already covered by what you've studied and some teachers give a pop quiz to show you what would be expected ( so this is not a very good analogy ). It's not "sugarcoating" to say that being prepared is smart.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
sammysns on May 11, 2019 wrote:
Why shouldn't you sacrifice some stats towards your play-style to the game? why should the game adjust its play-style to benefit you? Isn't this the concept of strategies to begin with? clearly your not a veteran pvp player because your lack of awareness is causing you to lose matches. You brought up the example of asking your teacher what questions you would get on the exams. Shouldn't you already know what your suppose to get on the exams? I mean isn't the point of teaching through post examination to actually prepare you for your exams? Your logic and reasoning is beyond me. And no one is sugar coating the strategy because 1 it was allowed and test before being implemented in pvp 2 every strategy has flaws therefore its not entirely perfect, but its not considered cheating only to those who don't know how to get around it. Especially towards those who aren't willing to make the sacrifices and just want everything "sugar coated towards them".

Survivor
Apr 06, 2011
I don't really do tournaments and not much of pvp anymore but I used to a lot at the magus level and sometimes max. Setting has completely ruined tournaments at magus as most people just set 85 resist and lore you down or 76 resist if you use a mastery to hit with another school. And then it's also possible to get 88 ice resist which is just ridiculous. It becomes hard to hit with weaknesses piling up and fizzles slowing you down from loremaster. As for the shields, everyone should already carry every shield. I've seen max wizards have decent damage/pierce and being immune to a school which is just unfair. Not everyone has the patience to make set pets for every school. Everything would be much better if you never knew who you were going to fight because everyone would use their all around stats and have a deck setup prepared for any school apart from the people who use the ice,fire,balance ward + dealer pet which is fine since that's their choice and they can risk having 3 useless talents on their pets if they want to.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Sammysyns & AngelLifeheart, please stop the personal attacks on each other's comment. Do you want to get this thread shut down?
Smack talk doesn't solve the problem the opening poster has with setters. Suggesting ways to face a setter is a better way.
Put up your own shields; since you're a death wizard, sammysyns, use "strangle" or Black Mantle to prevent use of their shields.

Explorer
Dec 26, 2010
anecorbie on May 23, 2019 wrote:
Sammysyns & AngelLifeheart, please stop the personal attacks on each other's comment. Do you want to get this thread shut down?
Smack talk doesn't solve the problem the opening poster has with setters. Suggesting ways to face a setter is a better way.
Put up your own shields; since you're a death wizard, sammysyns, use "strangle" or Black Mantle to prevent use of their shields.
You say talk about ways to face a setter but to be honest that's missing the whole point of this thread.

There ISN'T a way to face a setter that actually gives you a REAL fighting chance at winning, especially if you are second in the match.

People have said pack your own shields. Yes you can do that but you will still die much faster than the setter. The setter comes in already with immunity to your school and then to top it all of they spam -85% set shields and the -70% set shields, tower shields tc and regular, and finally top it all off with the -20% aura brace. Oh and they will of course also have a ward pet with all three ward talents for your school along with spell proof and defy (usually this is what tips them over to immunity rather than 70-90 % ish resist).

Even if you throw on an infallible, a blade, a trap, and shrike you will still barely make a dent in your opponents health. Let's not also forget that if the wizard you face is ice that they will also manage to keep an insane amount of damage so that even if you shield you will be dead long before you even get them down to 2/3 of their health. If you face a life who does this even if you dent their health they just heal back up while they chip away at yours (since they do have low damage when setting usually) and you still lose with no way to counter it. Balance is even worse because not only can they heal a decent amount with healing hands they get an extra set shield with the elemental and spirit shield 50% spells. They have decent damage as well as being able to spam lore in between shielding. Again no real way to counter them.

Throwing on things like mantle,dispels, or accuracy debuffs only do so much and essentially just buy you a couple extra turns worth of time when facing these wizards. On rare occasions the more powerful schools such as storm or fire can get enough damage up to actually win against a setter but only if they happen to have first turn. If you're second to a setter then you might as well flee because you aren't going to win.

I agree with Sammysyns, if you can go into ranked pvp without knowing who you're going to face and simply be prepared for all schools then there is no reason you can't do that in tournaments. A simple solution to people setting in tournaments is to have your gear locked once the tournament has started. What you are wearing is what you get for the whole thing. People can still set up their decks with set shields but without the immunity they get by setting their gear and pet it's possible to be able to do damage on them with things like infallible and shrike paired up with good strategies.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Luvdogs99 on May 24, 2019 wrote:
You say talk about ways to face a setter but to be honest that's missing the whole point of this thread.

There ISN'T a way to face a setter that actually gives you a REAL fighting chance at winning, especially if you are second in the match.

People have said pack your own shields. Yes you can do that but you will still die much faster than the setter. The setter comes in already with immunity to your school and then to top it all of they spam -85% set shields and the -70% set shields, tower shields tc and regular, and finally top it all off with the -20% aura brace. Oh and they will of course also have a ward pet with all three ward talents for your school along with spell proof and defy (usually this is what tips them over to immunity rather than 70-90 % ish resist).

Even if you throw on an infallible, a blade, a trap, and shrike you will still barely make a dent in your opponents health. Let's not also forget that if the wizard you face is ice that they will also manage to keep an insane amount of damage so that even if you shield you will be dead long before you even get them down to 2/3 of their health. If you face a life who does this even if you dent their health they just heal back up while they chip away at yours (since they do have low damage when setting usually) and you still lose with no way to counter it. Balance is even worse because not only can they heal a decent amount with healing hands they get an extra set shield with the elemental and spirit shield 50% spells. They have decent damage as well as being able to spam lore in between shielding. Again no real way to counter them.

Throwing on things like mantle,dispels, or accuracy debuffs only do so much and essentially just buy you a couple extra turns worth of time when facing these wizards. On rare occasions the more powerful schools such as storm or fire can get enough damage up to actually win against a setter but only if they happen to have first turn. If you're second to a setter then you might as well flee because you aren't going to win.

I agree with Sammysyns, if you can go into ranked pvp without knowing who you're going to face and simply be prepared for all schools then there is no reason you can't do that in tournaments. A simple solution to people setting in tournaments is to have your gear locked once the tournament has started. What you are wearing is what you get for the whole thing. People can still set up their decks with set shields but without the immunity they get by setting their gear and pet it's possible to be able to do damage on them with things like infallible and shrike paired up with good strategies.
Players have worked for that equipment, pet, et cetera. What's stopping you?
I used to compete in an historical style weapons combat ( fencing ) in a recreation group. We held tournaments weekly.
Everyone watched the tournament, even competitors. No one suggested that competitors ought to be segregated from watching. There were even times when someone said to me "You pulled ( blank ) for a match? Watch out for his/her maneuver." or "He/she is weak in this defense".
As to equipment, everyone had the basics, but some had better equipment or more of it, NO ONE suggested that those who were better equipped should sacrifice their equipment to make them en par with the others.

Also, those who practiced more or got special instruction from experts were more likely to win their bouts.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
This original message has been removed.
Nah fam you wish ROFL Am actually the Hardcore Life wiz who brutalize wiz like you with good offensive life strategies aka SPAM weaver LMAFO. I don't go jade or do jade but again i don't believe setting in terms of shield spamming it self is bad, because you gotta consider ward pets and jade meta currently atm. In fact every good warlords players I've faced are real try hards am I going to cry about it? nope only when it gets out of hands where as their able to build mass resist and do mass damage at the same time then it becomes an issue. But thanks for making the assumption before knowing my play style and the fact the moderators allowed you to do so makes me wonder.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
Luvdogs99 on May 24, 2019 wrote:

Lets get one thing straight. We can agree that having near immunity or immunity in itself is problematic due to the fact that pierce nearly doesn't even come close to such immunity unless we shrike which only last 3 turns correct?
The only solution to setting is to cap resist vs pierce at a certain point. The idea of quick match is best describe as its title to be "quick". Now i don't believe in getting one-shot and it tends to happen from time to time when rng is in favor of specific schools such as so the only ideal way to actually counter that, is actually by setting or at least having good resist and rely on set shield to actually survive. And by setting i mean ward pets and set shields. Cause mantle and weakness isn't generally 100% effective anymore when these schools are capable of having over 140% damage with 40%+ pierce. So lets be real here the coin the on both side of the table here.

Explorer
Oct 29, 2010
it is unfare, pvp those who watch shouldn't be able to see what cards are being cast period either they cheat to level up in rank

Explorer
Dec 26, 2010
anecorbie on May 24, 2019 wrote:
Players have worked for that equipment, pet, et cetera. What's stopping you?
I used to compete in an historical style weapons combat ( fencing ) in a recreation group. We held tournaments weekly.
Everyone watched the tournament, even competitors. No one suggested that competitors ought to be segregated from watching. There were even times when someone said to me "You pulled ( blank ) for a match? Watch out for his/her maneuver." or "He/she is weak in this defense".
As to equipment, everyone had the basics, but some had better equipment or more of it, NO ONE suggested that those who were better equipped should sacrifice their equipment to make them en par with the others.

Also, those who practiced more or got special instruction from experts were more likely to win their bouts.
People do not work for all the gear they get. Most of the time immunity is achieved through using jade gear which is from a pack. People buy their way into immunity. The pet yes you have to work for but again who actually goes in with a 3 fire ward pet ALL the time and not only when they watch other matches and find out their competitor is a fire wiz. (school was just an example here does not only apply to fire wizards)

No one is asking for people to sacrifice either here. It isn't sacrificing to expect someone to use the same gear as other people who do not have money for packs for jade gear. Knowing a strategy someone uses is also WAY different from coming in immune to someones attacks.

People can change their strategy in tournaments to fit the situation (their opponent knowing before hand what they tend to do) but they can't change their school to combat someone who makes it so that every hit you use has less than 500 damage or something along those lines. In real life no one is immune to an opponent in any sport or even card games for that matter (thinking along the lines of pokemon here but others could apply).

Knowing about your opponent is one thing, making it impossible to hurt you at all in pvp is something I have literally only seen in this online game. It isn't a problem in any other game I have ever seen. Much like a lot of aspects of pvp setting is a wiz problem only that needs fixing.

@ angellifeheart

I see the other side of it as yes certain schools can get a ton of damage and pierce but that doesn't make setting okay. Especially if you cap piercing. I agree a cap there is a good idea but if you're gonna cap pierce then setting needs to be fixed at the same time or you really have zero way to combat it.

And to be fair most of the time to get your pierce and damage that high you end up trading it off for having pretty low resist. That isn't to say that some people aren't able to balance it out so that their resist isn't completely useless but usually it's storm that manages to get their pierce and damage that high and the trade off is not only do they have low resist their health is very low as well. Basically people with that high damage and pierce are so squishy that it doesn't take much to win. Unless of course they pull a shadow pip from first, but hey that's currently max pvp nothing you can do about the rng being horrible.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
Luvdogs99 on May 28, 2019 wrote:
People do not work for all the gear they get. Most of the time immunity is achieved through using jade gear which is from a pack. People buy their way into immunity. The pet yes you have to work for but again who actually goes in with a 3 fire ward pet ALL the time and not only when they watch other matches and find out their competitor is a fire wiz. (school was just an example here does not only apply to fire wizards)

No one is asking for people to sacrifice either here. It isn't sacrificing to expect someone to use the same gear as other people who do not have money for packs for jade gear. Knowing a strategy someone uses is also WAY different from coming in immune to someones attacks.

People can change their strategy in tournaments to fit the situation (their opponent knowing before hand what they tend to do) but they can't change their school to combat someone who makes it so that every hit you use has less than 500 damage or something along those lines. In real life no one is immune to an opponent in any sport or even card games for that matter (thinking along the lines of pokemon here but others could apply).

Knowing about your opponent is one thing, making it impossible to hurt you at all in pvp is something I have literally only seen in this online game. It isn't a problem in any other game I have ever seen. Much like a lot of aspects of pvp setting is a wiz problem only that needs fixing.

@ angellifeheart

I see the other side of it as yes certain schools can get a ton of damage and pierce but that doesn't make setting okay. Especially if you cap piercing. I agree a cap there is a good idea but if you're gonna cap pierce then setting needs to be fixed at the same time or you really have zero way to combat it.

And to be fair most of the time to get your pierce and damage that high you end up trading it off for having pretty low resist. That isn't to say that some people aren't able to balance it out so that their resist isn't completely useless but usually it's storm that manages to get their pierce and damage that high and the trade off is not only do they have low resist their health is very low as well. Basically people with that high damage and pierce are so squishy that it doesn't take much to win. Unless of course they pull a shadow pip from first, but hey that's currently max pvp nothing you can do about the rng being horrible.
Yes! exactly but only for some schools as fire ice and balance are able to keep high resist and pierce and damage right now in this meta. Since most dominant players are also abusing the star school spell brace for that extra -20% resist, high resistance has become the norm. I did mention capping pierce, damage and resist would nullify any use for near immunity or immunity strategies that would result in unfair matches.