Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Life should get a "Scion of Life" Attack

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jul 26, 2012
When Empyrea Part 2 was added to the game all schools except life got a new Scion attack spell. When these spells have their conditions met, they are capable of having around 2,000 base damage to a single target. These new attacks can be very useful for bosses, because bosses tend to have a lot more health. So from a game balance perspective it's a big deal that just 1 out 7 schools missed out completely on getting such a strong attack.

Sure, Life got a new healing spell instead. And it's not a particularly good one in my opinion. Fairy, Satyr, Rebirth, and Pigsie are all waaaaaay more practical in terms of pip cost. But that's besides the point. The point is that Life should not be denied a new attack spell (that ALL other schools got) just because they're "the healing class". You can't heal bosses to death when you're playing solo, so Life deserves new attack spells just as much as other schools. For that reason I think that a damage-dealing variant of Scion of Life should be added to the game.

In the future I also think it would be better to give Life new healing spells when other schools are given new utility spells like in Grizzleheim, Wintertusk, and Avalon. Giving Life a healing spell when all other schools get new attacks doesn't feel very fair to Life wizards.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
just finally needs a low pip AoE Spell.

Hoping to see this within the upcoming Spring Update.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
Star Edward on Apr 3, 2019 wrote:

Life doesn't just need a low pip AoE it needs a 5 pip dot and rework on swan spell 50+650 over 3 rounds base damage over time with 500 heal back. And a rework on scion of life spell that can render it effective and not a waste of pips. No one in their right mind would waste 11 pips on 1 single heal spell when u have spells like pigsie and rebirth lower pip cost and effective mass healing. Enough with the heals man xD.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
Tanner Silver on Apr 2, 2019 wrote:
When Empyrea Part 2 was added to the game all schools except life got a new Scion attack spell. When these spells have their conditions met, they are capable of having around 2,000 base damage to a single target. These new attacks can be very useful for bosses, because bosses tend to have a lot more health. So from a game balance perspective it's a big deal that just 1 out 7 schools missed out completely on getting such a strong attack.

Sure, Life got a new healing spell instead. And it's not a particularly good one in my opinion. Fairy, Satyr, Rebirth, and Pigsie are all waaaaaay more practical in terms of pip cost. But that's besides the point. The point is that Life should not be denied a new attack spell (that ALL other schools got) just because they're "the healing class". You can't heal bosses to death when you're playing solo, so Life deserves new attack spells just as much as other schools. For that reason I think that a damage-dealing variant of Scion of Life should be added to the game.

In the future I also think it would be better to give Life new healing spells when other schools are given new utility spells like in Grizzleheim, Wintertusk, and Avalon. Giving Life a healing spell when all other schools get new attacks doesn't feel very fair to Life wizards.
No that exactly it that's the actual point! Its a bad spell design and a their isn't a single excuse as to why we life mains shouldn't get damage at all. I pvp a lot and life has so much potential of being top tier pvp candidate without actually being broken. NO MORE HEALING we have enough. We need damage buffs not heals. Although i must say this there needs to be some adjustments when it comes down to giving life damage because their also basically tanks who can heal. But people don't understand that healing cost pips it doesn't come without a cost. This entire jade meta idea healing critical op brokenness needs to stop and give offensive life wizards chance to improve.

Champion
Feb 06, 2010
I know this post is a bit old, but I wanted to share my thoughts on this.

While I do agree the Life school needs more attacking spells, giving them this with all their current healing properties makes the entire school over powered.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
Blaze03554 on Apr 6, 2019 wrote:

While I do agree the Life school needs more attacking spells, giving them this with all their current healing properties makes the entire school over powered.

This is still debatable I've seen a few life wiz struggle through pvp esp from second against schools like fire balance and ice in tank mode. Having to rely on guardian spirit the one spell everyone hates including me as a life main is just not enough. I notice everywhere is see a life warlord their holding max stat triple double pets pay to win wands etc. I'm currently using the in game content gears without having to rely too much on critical, since my critical is only at 33%. That being said, I think life school can be that one school that can actually teach new comers how to pvp in ts own nature. Not having access to a proper dot or utility spells besides heal renders life nearly impossible to pvp in this current meta. Not having pay to win gears feels bad. And am specifically talking about bundle wands, packs wands, boots etc. That's why pvp is unbalanced and their should be standard pvp gears and spells that every school should have access too.

Defender
Jul 26, 2012
Blaze03554 on Apr 6, 2019 wrote:

Eh, it's only about a week old.

But... how would getting an attack (which, again, every other school got) make Life overpowered? Just as another example, Life did not originally get a +25% damage aura that all other schools got in Azteca. Instead, they were only given an aura that gave +25% outgoing healing. About 3 years later Life was finally given a +25% damage aurathat they really should've had to begin with. Does having both a damage and healing aura make Life overpowered?

I mean, you only cast one spell per turn and you only have so many pips. If you use all your pips and turns on healing spells you aren't going to have the chance to ever attack anyways. And you need to attack to win fights if you are by yourself. So I don't see how having more healing spells in their spellbook or deck makes Life any more overpowered than, say, the Myth school having more minions in their spellbook or deck. And I think it would be pretty silly if Myth was given minions instead of attacks because "they're the minion school".

Besides, the two most practical and useful healing spells (Satyr and Pigsie) aren't even exclusive to Life wizards. The best +outgoing healing gear and that healing aura I mentioned earlier aren't exclusive to Life wizards either. The advantages Life wizards have over other wizards in regards to healing ability have become increasingly fewer in number over the years. And don't even get me started on healing pets...

Defender
Mar 10, 2014
Tanner Silver on Apr 8, 2019 wrote:
Eh, it's only about a week old.

But... how would getting an attack (which, again, every other school got) make Life overpowered? Just as another example, Life did not originally get a +25% damage aura that all other schools got in Azteca. Instead, they were only given an aura that gave +25% outgoing healing. About 3 years later Life was finally given a +25% damage aurathat they really should've had to begin with. Does having both a damage and healing aura make Life overpowered?

I mean, you only cast one spell per turn and you only have so many pips. If you use all your pips and turns on healing spells you aren't going to have the chance to ever attack anyways. And you need to attack to win fights if you are by yourself. So I don't see how having more healing spells in their spellbook or deck makes Life any more overpowered than, say, the Myth school having more minions in their spellbook or deck. And I think it would be pretty silly if Myth was given minions instead of attacks because "they're the minion school".

Besides, the two most practical and useful healing spells (Satyr and Pigsie) aren't even exclusive to Life wizards. The best +outgoing healing gear and that healing aura I mentioned earlier aren't exclusive to Life wizards either. The advantages Life wizards have over other wizards in regards to healing ability have become increasingly fewer in number over the years. And don't even get me started on healing pets...
Life is still the best at healing because they have guardian spirit and they can critical their heals while keeping good stats. When other schools want to heal most have to use life mastery and that takes away stats and we can't even critical our heals. Life is the school that can solo darkmoor because of how much better they can heal then other classes.

Defender
Jul 26, 2012
Fred Frost on Apr 9, 2019 wrote:
Life is still the best at healing because they have guardian spirit and they can critical their heals while keeping good stats. When other schools want to heal most have to use life mastery and that takes away stats and we can't even critical our heals. Life is the school that can solo darkmoor because of how much better they can heal then other classes.
Other schools have their own heals that they can crit with, such as Storm's Healing Current or Balance's Availing hands. Death can even crit with drains, allowing them to inflict massive damage and heal themselves all in the same turn.

Having a free neck slot is nice, I wont deny that. And yes, Life wizards can get a better chance at getting a critical with Life healing spells. But all schools have some significant strengths. What's so special about Life's that they deserve to be singled out and excluded from getting new attacks? And just to be clear: I'm not saying Life needs to have super strong attacks or anything. The base damage of their spells has always been around the low end of the spectrum, and I'm perfectly fine with that.

Also, if getting new attacks would make Life overpowered, why don't people complain whenever Life does get a new attack? I don't recall anyone complaining that getting Lamassu was going to make Life overpowered.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
Tanner Silver on Apr 11, 2019 wrote:
Other schools have their own heals that they can crit with, such as Storm's Healing Current or Balance's Availing hands. Death can even crit with drains, allowing them to inflict massive damage and heal themselves all in the same turn.

Having a free neck slot is nice, I wont deny that. And yes, Life wizards can get a better chance at getting a critical with Life healing spells. But all schools have some significant strengths. What's so special about Life's that they deserve to be singled out and excluded from getting new attacks? And just to be clear: I'm not saying Life needs to have super strong attacks or anything. The base damage of their spells has always been around the low end of the spectrum, and I'm perfectly fine with that.

Also, if getting new attacks would make Life overpowered, why don't people complain whenever Life does get a new attack? I don't recall anyone complaining that getting Lamassu was going to make Life overpowered.
People complain that life having damage plus heals is overpowered. I say this is untrue because healing cost pips. If am to spend 4 pips trying to get a crit on a satyr with only 50% crit than 100% id choose to go all damage than healing. I believe the lowest damage schools should have the best defensive options to neutralize on going offensive strategies. But this isnt always the case so for now a good 5 pip dot spell and 4 pip aoe damage spell and a 2 pip bubble spell would be like a dream come through for life wizards even if it means to nullify crit chance completely. I doubt that would happen because every school can crit. And btw for many of you who are complaining about satry being able to crit for 2500 heal like mines just remember we sacrifice damage and pierce for outgoing jewels.

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
Life wants everything, meanwhile they can deal more damage than myth, which was supposed to be the hitter of the spirit schools!

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Tanner Silver on Apr 2, 2019 wrote:

To understand what you are talking about "Scion of Life" not being a particularly good healing spell, How would you rather see it heal without being overpower for a 11 pip spell? I think it's a great spell and may be better than others in a way if players know how it works.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
I do agree that life wizards have multiple heal spells but thier nature is to give life not being a main or secondary hitter. However I agree life wizards need a couple of good whoppng damaging spell other than Spinysaur since we are now in the 3rd arc and going beyond. One of those spells can be an AOE. I still think life needs at least a 4 pip AOE spell. Leafstorm can be that spell If KI choose it; give or trainable. I also think Wings of Fate needs to be adjusted to a non-DOT and perhaps with a damage/heal buff. Scion of Life originally can heal 1 person but was adjusted to heal 1 person + all freinds 300 health for 3 rounds; making the spell better than before.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
Jasmine3429 on Apr 13, 2019 wrote:
Life wants everything, meanwhile they can deal more damage than myth, which was supposed to be the hitter of the spirit schools!
Every school deals damage at equal rate depending on what gear you have on such schools. Myth wants heals and storm wants dot. Balance whats to keep lore as it is while mana burn is still yet to be fix for the accurate amount of pip burns which should be 3 white pips not 3 power pips. I guarantee ice wants heals while death needs better damage. Your post is very irrelevant and isn't backed up by any real reason as to why any and every school should get at least a dot a small pip aoe and bubble control spells for 2 pips. Just saying life wants everything doesn't justify anything at all, and disregards life mains as if they aren't able to solo.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
Patrick Ravenbane on Apr 13, 2019 wrote:
To understand what you are talking about "Scion of Life" not being a particularly good healing spell, How would you rather see it heal without being overpower for a 11 pip spell? I think it's a great spell and may be better than others in a way if players know how it works.
It shouldn't be a healing at all. 11 pips on heal is down right a waste of time and pips . People don't realize were at max level now, were damage and resist is important for everyschool. This construct idea that life is a support main heal school has been stuck in the minds of other bias school players for a long time and it needs to stop. Every school should be giving its own tools for the sole purpose of taking down bosses on their own accord. If you think scion of life is a great spell then you probably have never used rebirth pigsie or dryad more often to realize for less pips you get a better heal(aoe) at that than 11 pips for a spell that should have been damage to begin with.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
Patrick Ravenbane on Apr 13, 2019 wrote:
I do agree that life wizards have multiple heal spells but thier nature is to give life not being a main or secondary hitter. However I agree life wizards need a couple of good whoppng damaging spell other than Spinysaur since we are now in the 3rd arc and going beyond. One of those spells can be an AOE. I still think life needs at least a 4 pip AOE spell. Leafstorm can be that spell If KI choose it; give or trainable. I also think Wings of Fate needs to be adjusted to a non-DOT and perhaps with a damage/heal buff. Scion of Life originally can heal 1 person but was adjusted to heal 1 person + all freinds 300 health for 3 rounds; making the spell better than before.
I think the real nature of life was too be that handicap school to introduce players into the solo world. The only reason people are asking for a 4 pip aoe is to farm better for gold etc. Life also needs a 2 pip damage bubble control and a 5 pip dot which honestly sacred charge would fit perfectly on that. As for wings of fate yes in all honesty that spell should not have a dot effect at all while increase the damage value to 700 flat and reducing the incoming heal to half would be better than its current state for a shadow enhance spell. Its by the far if not the most underrated shadow enhance spell of the bunch.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
No, Life Wizards do not want everything.

We just want to be able to solo like everyone else.

Back in 2009 - 11 there were far more wizards online at any given point in the day. The concept of each school bringing something unique to the circle was far more useful when you could almost guarantee that every fight was going to have multiple wizards participating. Having someone who could deal damage while someone else kept everyone healthy was (and still is) a very good thing.

The reality of today's daily number of Wizards means a lot more soloing. The only time I see wizards in significant numbers is while on the Gravulum quest or hanging around the commons. Hence the desire of Life Wizards to have a few more attack spells in their arsenal. The plea for healing available to other schools has been answered.

My Life Wizard is a great benefit to any team he joins. Seldom have I ever been in a team fight where I haven't kept everyone alive until the job is done. That said he struggles at times doing it solo when there is no one else around to help him out.

@Patrick - I haven't equipped the Scion of Life spell in my deck since I got it. Even with the heal all, pip cost means that 4 Unicorns, or a Bartleby and a Unicorn are FAR more effective at keeping my team healthy. And if I'm soloing? Sitting idle for the minimum of six rounds it will take me to get the pips ain't happening. If my health is low enough to need Scion of Life, I'll be defeated by the time I've waited six rounds.

Steven Ghoststalker

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
angellifeheart on Apr 14, 2019 wrote:
It shouldn't be a healing at all. 11 pips on heal is down right a waste of time and pips . People don't realize were at max level now, were damage and resist is important for everyschool. This construct idea that life is a support main heal school has been stuck in the minds of other bias school players for a long time and it needs to stop. Every school should be giving its own tools for the sole purpose of taking down bosses on their own accord. If you think scion of life is a great spell then you probably have never used rebirth pigsie or dryad more often to realize for less pips you get a better heal(aoe) at that than 11 pips for a spell that should have been damage to begin with.
I have 4 life wizards; 3 at max. I know exactly what heal spells do and I use all of them more than you think at the time needed. If you look at Scion of Life just at the costs of pips , then you don't see the quality of that spell. There's a reason why Scion of Life is 11 pips. It's a heal that's a combination of a strong Satyr plus 2x to one person who has 25% or less health and Wings of Fate healing 300 health to all team mates for 3 rounds.. You find me one heal spell that can do the same thing. The Purpose of all heal spells are used at the appropriate time in need. I use Scion of Life enough times to say it's a life saver. For me being life who can get 11 pips in 4 rounds and if one person is pretty low in health while others are down by several hundered, Unicorn, Rebirth and Pigsie will not heal that one person enough to survive another round or 2 from a big whopping hit while others don't need it as bad. That would be a waste of spell and pips. I would choose Scion of Life to heal that person to full health and others will be healed at the same time. I can always swing around and cast pigsie or unicorn If you think Scion of Life doesn't do a good enough job for you, then give it to me. My lower lever life would love to have it.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
" this constuct idea that life is a support main heal school has been stuck in the minds of other bias school players for a long time and it needs to stop". Kingsisle created Life school as a healing class for a purpose. Are you saying the game owner's minds are bias and it need to stop? Isn't that demanding them to change their way? I sure wouldn't want to talk to my boss at work like that. The word Bias can be very offensive. Please look up all the definitions on that word.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
What do you mean Life wants everything?

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Star Edward on Apr 3, 2019 wrote:

A low pip AOE spell for life Wizards would be great and more useful in lower levels under 58 for faster questing and higher survivel rating while going solo. But have it craftible so those who don't want it, don't have to take it.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
I don't think Scion of Life was disigned to use while going solo. You can but that's a death wish for your wizards. It works better in a team or if you quest with one other person. Just don't go in first so you have 4 rounds to cast it when need to. That way you have a less chance on getting defeated buy a lucky hit.

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
Every school deals damage at equal rate depending on what gear you have on such schools. Myth wants heals and storm wants dot. Balance whats to keep lore as it is while mana burn is still yet to be fix for the accurate amount of pip burns which should be 3 white pips not 3 power pips. I guarantee ice wants heals while death needs better damage. Your post is very irrelevant and isn't backed up by any real reason as to why any and every school should get at least a dot a small pip aoe and bubble control spells for 2 pips. Just saying life wants everything doesn't justify anything at all, and disregards life mains as if they aren't able to solo.
This is not true at all. First of all I am myth and I do not want a healing spell, what we need is a legit 7-8 pip AOE in my opinion.

As to all schools dealing damage at the same rate, consider some schools get more damage on their gear, and/or on their spells, and/or on their blades.

Sure, eventually I may be able to deal as much damage as say storm, but it is going to take me many more rounds and a shadow pip, as frog is still the best non shadow aoe i have.

Consider every school has a 7-8 pip AOE except myth, yet you do not see myth always complaining that they want this that or the other thing.

Let's just make life the fire of the spirit schools while you are at it, I mean heck why shouldnt they have more options than death and myth, right?

Defender
May 23, 2009
Jasmine3429 on Apr 15, 2019 wrote:
This is not true at all. First of all I am myth and I do not want a healing spell, what we need is a legit 7-8 pip AOE in my opinion.

As to all schools dealing damage at the same rate, consider some schools get more damage on their gear, and/or on their spells, and/or on their blades.

Sure, eventually I may be able to deal as much damage as say storm, but it is going to take me many more rounds and a shadow pip, as frog is still the best non shadow aoe i have.

Consider every school has a 7-8 pip AOE except myth, yet you do not see myth always complaining that they want this that or the other thing.

Let's just make life the fire of the spirit schools while you are at it, I mean heck why shouldnt they have more options than death and myth, right?
As a wizard myself I mostly agree. Myth doesn't need a healing spell. Mine doesn't use satyr and hasn't learned it. However I would prefer minion support spells over the 7-8 pip aoe first but that's just me. Maybe it could be deal 3000 dmg to all enemies if 3 friendly minions are present . The super minion attack.

Defender
May 23, 2009
Area51Alien on Apr 14, 2019 wrote:
No, Life Wizards do not want everything.

We just want to be able to solo like everyone else.

Back in 2009 - 11 there were far more wizards online at any given point in the day. The concept of each school bringing something unique to the circle was far more useful when you could almost guarantee that every fight was going to have multiple wizards participating. Having someone who could deal damage while someone else kept everyone healthy was (and still is) a very good thing.

The reality of today's daily number of Wizards means a lot more soloing. The only time I see wizards in significant numbers is while on the Gravulum quest or hanging around the commons. Hence the desire of Life Wizards to have a few more attack spells in their arsenal. The plea for healing available to other schools has been answered.

My Life Wizard is a great benefit to any team he joins. Seldom have I ever been in a team fight where I haven't kept everyone alive until the job is done. That said he struggles at times doing it solo when there is no one else around to help him out.

@Patrick - I haven't equipped the Scion of Life spell in my deck since I got it. Even with the heal all, pip cost means that 4 Unicorns, or a Bartleby and a Unicorn are FAR more effective at keeping my team healthy. And if I'm soloing? Sitting idle for the minimum of six rounds it will take me to get the pips ain't happening. If my health is low enough to need Scion of Life, I'll be defeated by the time I've waited six rounds.

Steven Ghoststalker
"My Life Wizard is a great benefit to any team he joins"

Life is better at being in team than other schools. Yet you want to be better at soloing because the environment changes from 09-11. This should only happen if other schools such as myth or balance are complaining they wish to be better in a team. Are they? Otherwise, it is unfair.